1. Thanks for visiting! These forums are for the original Risk of Rain, if you're interested in discussing the newly released Risk of Rain 2 head over to that game's steam discussion forum
    Dismiss Notice

Stormquake's Character Tier List V 1.0.2

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Stormquake, Nov 15, 2013.

1. Mewtiger

Mewtiger Space Spelunker

Personalized:
    T1
    Engineer, Acrid

T2
    Mercenary, Huntress, Commando, Bandit, Miner

T3
    Sniper, Han-D

Enforcer Tier
    Enforcer

T1 = 80% Success Rate IDGAF about items.
    T2 = They give a fuck about items. Miner still feels awkward to me/Merc for life.
    T3 = (I personally love sniper) I die with these characters frequently, Han-D with base aspd is rough but I have a blast with him in coop, and Sniper can get overcrowdead.
    Enforcer Tier = Hahahaha

Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
    • Stormquake

Stormquake Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Man, what's with all this Enforcer hate?
      You guys should really take the time to learn every character equally before trashing certain ones.

• Mewtiger

Mewtiger Space Spelunker

I was joking, but it could be that Serve and Protect is an awkward move even with all the Shield Bash in the world to protect your butt.
        Also by the time every other character has hit hyper-carry mode due to items his range has started to become bothersome.
        My problem with Enforcer is ease-of-play, I just generally don't like how he feels because I have such a hard time making Protect and Serve effective.

• blorx

blorx Aquatic Astronaut

You know, a lot of the people who are good at sniper think the same thing when everyone hates on the sniper. I personally don't do all that well at enforcer (in part since I don't like the hitbox on his 4th skill at point blank range), but I generally don't complain about him. I would also say that it is very hard to use protect and serve effectively as anything other than a quick damage boost, but I haven't tried much either.

• Stormquake

Well, I mean, I'm pretty good at every class. People hate on the sniper because he doesn't quite work with the game's mechanics, granted, Enforcer strays from the mechanics as well, but can hold his own a lot better than sniper can, I'd also much rather have an Enforcer on my team in co-op than a Sniper. The main purpose of Protect and Serve is to keep small mobs and projectiles away from you. Enforcer makes Wisps of all kinds very very sad.

• Glitch1500

Glitch1500 Aquatic Astronaut

Yeah it took me 2 hours on the Snow level of killing every boss that appeared in 5 seconds each to get the monster teeth.

• Crimbo Hardstyle

Crimbo Hardstyle Big Damn Hero

As someone who has been playing since very early in the alpha and who has unlocked everything in the game and played as every class quite a bit, I cannot believe you're saying miner is bottom tier. In fact, unless some pretty drastic balancing changes happen, I will maintain my belief that miner is the strongest character in the game. He has unparalleled mobility, two strong damage mitigation skills, superb ability to deal with large groups of enemies, good crowd control and huge control over where he's fighting, and great overall damage. In all fairness, I think it's also quite a bit harder to really get full effect out of the miner than most of the other classes, but my point stands.

vivikun likes this.
                • Vahnkiljoy

Vahnkiljoy Ketchup Robot

Except though it is still all opinion no matter what, some people will be able to use the classes YOU deem 'bad tier' much more effectively than you and will disagree, that's why I really don't think 'tier' lists belong in this game, there is no real competition between the classes so limiting them to these tiers seems like something that doesn't belong.

Hatesandwich likes this.
                  • Rawrquaza

Rawrquaza Existential Complex

I agree that the miner is really good if you can take the time to master him.

As an aside, I think that a tier list is counterproductive, as you can practice enough with any class and have great amounts of success.

• Glitch1500

I definitely agree on Huntress being the best, she can do everything without stopping, and automatically shoots the nearest enemies, so in a case that you had dozens of different types of items, Huntress can use just about all of them to succession. Without Transfusion, she's squishier than jelly, so there is that particular item dependance. But I also agree all classes can equally perform, I just really want a Sniper rework.
                      I love these tier lists because it opens up a lot of discussion amongst the community :)

• Futurehero

Futurehero Space Spelunker

I haven't unlocked all the classes yet, but from what I've seen the Huntress and the Acrid just stomp everything.
                        It makes sense, kiting really is the best way to beat almost 80% of the enemies.

And the Sniper really does need a rework , since his play style is directly opposite of the goals of the game.
                        Slow, methodic , position based, killing single targets in a game that's on a time limit, has randomly generated levels, hordes of enemies that can spawn anywhere, with bosses that are comparatively easy (I honestly find all the bosses a joke compared to a big stack of elite enemies)

• Glitch1500

I really like the ideas of a perfect reload making his W pierce, and attack speed effecting the speed that maximum damage is reached on it. Even just the piercing would make him such a more viable class that turns a little minigame adding tiny damage to a skill involving game changer.

vivikun likes this.
                          • Hawkeman92

Hawkeman92 Industrial Terraformer

I find it funny that huntress, the only female, is the best class in the game. Makes me think she's the big sister of the group.

Huntress: "C'mon guys, we need to make a good impression when we beat the final boss."
                            Commander: "But I'm still having trouble with the temple."
                            Huntress: "Man up. Engie what's taking you so long?"
                            Engineer: *Pant* *pant* "Can we have a little rest?" *pant*
                            Huntress: "No. I want to get to the next level before the difficulty bumps up."
                            Acrid: "Woof!"

Leafia_Barrett and Wasd_wasd like this.
                            • Glitch1500

Sniper: "Just give me an hour or two to clean up these enemies."

• Stormquake

Merc has an "everything you can do, I can do better" relationship with the Miner. Though the Miner may be more mobile, the Merc has more invincibility frames and easier ways to pull off damage. The main reason Miner ended up in tier 5 is for a few reasons. He has a stun that launches him backwards but then has a hitbox in back of him along his path, which is admittedly rather misleading due to the blast going in front of him, but that's not a play issue, that's just an animation oddity. What really irks me about the Miner is that in order to pull off his full damage potential, you will always find yourself in the enemy's face at the end of it. This works early on because Miner can just about kill anything with a XCV combo, but when you get into the later parts of the game, abusing invincibility frames and then trying to run away during the stun or with To the Stars is just going to get you swatted down like a fly. I've also found that Miner is ridiculously unforgiving for the fact that if you miss or time something wrong, you just die. Some other classes have a bit of leeway, but for Miner, that's just it. However, I did hold off on writing Tier 4 as Miner might make it in there instead of Han-D, but we'll see what happens.

Wasd_wasd likes this.
                                • P.Alex

P.Alex Industrial Terraformer

HAN-D: "RUNNING PUNCH.EXE FOR TWO THOUSAND EIGHT HUNDRED SIXTY SEVEN SECONDS. PROGRESSION FIFTY EIGHT PERCENT."

Wasd_wasd likes this.
                                  • Stormquake

So after doing a few more run-throughs with the Miner and realizing I had just been playing him a bit oddly, I am recreating Tier 3 which shall now be Commando & Miner, I'd like to thank Crimbo for making me reconsider my decision.
                                    Tier 4 is now looking to be Enforcer & Bandit while Tier 5 is most likely going to be Han-D & Sniper

Thank you everyone for your feedback so far.

• Mianso

Mianso Black Hole Surfer

Han-D tier 5 and mercenary tier 1. That's basically the opposite for me.

• Matanui3

Matanui3 Phantasmal Quasar

Miner is clearly top tier.
                                        That is, top-of-the-map tier. With a few jetpacks and goat hooves, his To the Skies becomes very floaty.

Maybe you should make a mobility tier list.

• Stormquake

Well Mobility is part of game mechanics. Perhaps I could make sub-tiers after the main list is finished related to Mobility/Damage/Survivability, etc.