1. When making a thread, please tag your thread accordingly using the menu to the left of the textfield where you name your thread where applicable. Server Advertisements and Mod Releases should be contained to their respective subforums.

Server Help SteamCMD is straight up not updating this game properly

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Niyeaux, Dec 17, 2013.

1. Niyeaux

Niyeaux Orbital Explorer

So, I've been running a dedicated server on my CentOS box for a couple weeks now, and every time there's an update shipped, it breaks my server. I download the app update via SteamCMD, it downloads some stuff and tells me the game is now up to date, but then when I launch the server it is still running the old version. The only way I've been able to make it work is by manually replacing the starbound_server file with the one from my main rig (which is on Windows and updates through regular Steam).

I'm not sure what the deal is here, but however the updates are being rolled out, they're not being rolled out properly via SteamCMD, and it makes running a Linux server almost prohibitively time-intensive due to the need for a manual file transfer every time the client is updated. Is there anything that can be done about this?

2. Lividos

Lividos Space Hobo

I update via SteamCMD without issue, on Ubuntu.

./steamcmd.sh
    login username password
    force_install_dir ./starbound (or whereever yours is)
    app_update 211820 validate
    exit

Do you do anything different to that?

3. Niyeaux

Niyeaux Orbital Explorer

Do you have to force the install directory like that every time you log in?

4. Syntax42

Syntax42 Pangalactic Porcupine

You need to force the install directory every time you run SteamCMD if you did not install to the default directory. For my Ubuntu installation, it defaulted to somewhere in the user folder. There is a good chance you have two copies of the game on your server now.