1. When making a thread, please tag your thread accordingly using the menu to the left of the textfield where you name your thread where applicable. Server Advertisements and Mod Releases should be contained to their respective subforums.

Tutorial Starrybound Server [1.2.1.1] - Advanced Server Wrapper for Starbound!

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Crashdoom, Jan 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crashdoom

Crashdoom Pangalactic Porcupine

I do apologize that you feel that way, but I personally have not done anything untoward nor has anyone else who has contributed to the Starrybound project, except Zidonuke. I, however, appreciate your honesty.

2. There will always be those who oppose and refuse to consider other possibilities.
    I haven't lost a bit of confidence in the project.
    We all make mistakes.
    They deserve to be forgiven.

3. I believe that these days, the things work in a way, even on major companies, they hire infamous hackers known to be a pain world-wide to destroy for fun, still, today they are working on the most famous companies with big responsibilities, building software that we use on our daily basis to keep us safe. The past of such people with Hacking and their errors, did not destroy the trust and the opportunities they were given.

Kazyyk likes this.
  4. oblivion5683

oblivion5683 Big Damn Hero

i see you have an account on team avolition.

i will trust you when you prove you are trustworthy.

yes. this is true.
    still, i dont think i can ever put my trust in someone fully who has done something like this.

5. Hmm... I think you should recognize that Crashdoom isn't related to Zidonuke's past, as far as I know.

6. Crashdoom

Yes I do, there were several cases where posts were made on their forums that included vulnerabilities that were in MCBans interest. Once we found these, we could issue security advisories or even ban usernames that were exploited. I also created an account on HackForums (which was since taken from my control) for the same purpose.

7. Mathew9R

Mathew9R Space Penguin Leader

*rubs hands together*

Right then! Lets get back to business :p

Any sort of ETA for RCON/Desktop app for the server to be able to chat/do commands without being in game?

8. Crashdoom

Working as hard as I can to get this working as I know you're all desperate for it! :p I'm trying to squeeze when the next update is estimated for so I can gauge what to do when and such xD

Mathew9R likes this.
  9. Katorone

Katorone Giant Laser Beams

Review his code then? If you can't be arsed to do that, stop whining please.

10. Dr. Toros

Dr. Toros Existential Complex

No, he doesn't. He's already had 3 separate communities that he lashed out against.

I don't think the project needs to be scrapped, but kicking him out was necessary.

misterducky likes this.
  11. Underbalanced

Underbalanced Phantasmal Quasar

I would hope the devs keep you clued in on changes so that you can have a faster turn around :) Being they may change code.

12. teihoo

teihoo Ketchup Robot

If you have any sense, do not use this.
    (followed by a wall of text now)

More then 89% of the code is done by a guy who is known to add backdoors to gain access to your server for non-friendly reasons. They have now removed that guys name from the list of authors, to further hide their intentions? Although the code is published as open source, there is no guarantee there is no malicious code in the exe files you download. The "new" author, however much he strugles here on the forums, has managed roughly 10% of the code and the notorious Zidonuke commited about 89% of the code. Yes those other 4 combined, do add up to about 1% ;)

For more information look at these resources:
    https://github.com/AvilanceLtd/StarryboundServer/graphs/contributors

And some already posted a few times, but just for groupped reference:
    http://www.reddit.com/r/starbound/comments/1usjln/psa_the_creator_of_the_starrybound_is_the_same/

Second option that follows is that CrashDoom (btw dont these names - CrashDoom - ZinoNuke - sound horrifying when you know they fiddle with your server's network protocol?) creates a new github project with different name and republishes all the files, so there's no reference to the original author.

However pure the code looks like on github, dont be fooled by downloading the actual pre-compiled versions. They can originate from whatever code the guy doing the compiling decided to.

Only thing in my opinion that would reflect true and honest intentions for this proxy mod, would be complete removal of all the pre-compiled binaries, added complete procedures to build this project from the code up, and some valuable opinions on the code itself, from ppl that have some credit. And this would mean, no one would do it. Dead end.

Glancing at the code itself, is full of typos and codebugs, only things fixed are the issues that made it not crash. Apart from the brute network code that's unreadable to me, i would highly advise against using this.

I'm quite confident CrashDoom never actually looked at the Zinonuke's code and has no idea what this exe is actually doing (or does know all together :), even if there is small chance that he even did compile it himself.

Apart from that, the visual effect of the mod on server did look extremely nice and I loved it. And I blame Chucklefish for this for even publishing the current state of the server.

Anyway. I STRONGLY ADVISE YOU AGAINST USING THIS APPLICATION ALL TOGETHER! (however much you liked it)

Even building from source code, without having the knoweledge it requires to understand it, would be just as hazardous as using the pre-compiled exes.

This is all based on their prior reputation - if you trust someone that used to be a crook, and claims he's not anymore then do so at your own will.

And last but not least. Look at the company web page.

Lore ipsum dolor to all.

Silverforte, Kinderghast and Hippolv like this.
  13. Crashdoom

If you saw the code and these "codebugs" then I'm sure you saw that there were no backdoors or malicious code in the repository? :) If you don't believe the code is what it says it is on the tin, then please feel free to use the free .NET decompiler available from JetBrains (http://www.jetbrains.com/decompiler/) to de-compile the .exe and match up the code yourself.

Proof: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vak4bru2f054vf7/Screenshot 2014-01-09 21.19.03.png

Alconchloe likes this.
  14. teihoo

teihoo Ketchup Robot

It doesnt even generate starbound.config properly, has typos in variables. Did you check?

15. Crashdoom

This wasn't an issue that was ever brought to my attention, and I haven't encountered any errors relating to issues like that

16. teihoo

teihoo Ketchup Robot

"fullscreenResoluton" : null,
    "pixelRadioIdx" : 0,

17. Crashdoom

I'll get that fixed, probably a mistake on my part since I was going over the starbound.config pretty quickly, haha ^_^!

18. teihoo

teihoo Ketchup Robot

Sadly, I still wont be using this, but at least i took a glance :)

19. Cathrax

Cathrax Seal Broken

i still haven't had any problems running or useing this server :) part from small bugs so i for one will still be useing it :)

Alconchloe and Crashdoom like this.
  20. Valikus

Valikus Poptop Tamer

Where is Config.json?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.