1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

starcheat: player save editor and Python library [Deleted]

Discussion in 'Outdated Mods' started by wizzomafizzo, Dec 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wizzomafizzo

wizzomafizzo Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Read this before reporting a bug.

If that doesn't work, this is what a perfect bug report consists of:
    • A copy of the latest starcheat logs (instructions to get logs are here)
    • (Optional) A screenshot of the error
    • (Optional) A .zip file containing any .player files you're having trouble with
    If you're having trouble with your character not showing up in Starbound after editing, make sure you also post a copy of your starbound.log file in the Starbound install directory.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2014
  2. Rejaku

Rejaku Space Spelunker

Very useful, seems to be working fine too.

For Windows, I just copied over the build directory from Linux and added libEGL.dll, seems to be running fine afterwards.

As for features, working category filter would be grand, but as a first step sorting the items alphabetically would already help a lot.

3. wizzomafizzo

Thanks again for your patch, it's now been merged! That is excellent that you've got it working on Windows so easily, I'll try chuck some instructions together on the README. I'm just working on an update atm to pretty up the item browser dialog which should include proper category support and a filter/search field.

EDIT: Aaaannd it's in...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 24, 2013
  4. Zavod101

Zavod101 Phantasmal Quasar

does this allows you to edit weapon stats (projectile type, RoF, and so on)?

5. wizzomafizzo

Not yet, those fields get pulled in but are still read-only. Some work needs to be done to figure out the limits on setting options and making interface widget to update them. I have been very interested in this feature from the start though so it's defo high up on the list.

6. Zavod101

Zavod101 Phantasmal Quasar

good luck with that!do you know if there will be a windows version available?

7. Clockwork

Clockwork Master Astronaut

Okay stupid question time, how exactly should I input the directory for my binary and assets folder? I'm on windows.

I put it in the starcheat.ini file, but it still doesn't work. Unless I'm not doing it right. Should it end up with an exe or do I have to run one of the .py files? Whenever I run the .bat file it makes a folder called "build".

Any help would be appreciated!

EDIT: Okay, so I made the starcheat file in the build folder a .py file. Now when I run it it gives me a prompt to find the save file, but once I choose it nothing happens the window just closes. I have my starbound files on a secondary drive if that's what might be causing the problem.

EDIT 2: I ran it in cmd and now I'm running into this error.
    Code:
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "C:\Users\Danny\Downloads\starcheat-master\starcheat-master\build\starche
    at.py", line 6, in <module>
        gui.MainWindow()
      File "C:\Users\Danny\Downloads\starcheat-master\starcheat-master\build\gui.py"
    , line 320, in __init__
        self.open_file()
      File "C:\Users\Danny\Downloads\starcheat-master\starcheat-master\build\gui.py"
    , line 576, in open_file
        self.player = save_file.PlayerSave(filename[0])
      File "C:\Users\Danny\Downloads\starcheat-master\starcheat-master\build\save_fi
    le.py", line 406, in __init__
        self.import_save(filename)
      File "C:\Users\Danny\Downloads\starcheat-master\starcheat-master\build\save_fi
    le.py", line 418, in import_save
        raise Exception("Wrong save format version")
    Exception: Wrong save format version

EDIT 3: my save file was corrupted, it's working..... *sigh*, but I would suggest making the starcheat file a .py, or at least saying how to run it for the layman.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2013
  8. wizzomafizzo

The current version runs on Windows fine apparently although could be easier to setup. And thanks!

Sorry about your lost time :( this is exactly the type of testing I'm asking for though so thank you!! So there are 3 issues here:
    • Corrupt save?: this was actually about the save file version not being correct (save files have a number at the start saying what Starbound version they're from) so it may just be you were using a save file from before the Koala patches. What I'll do for this one is, when it gets that error you pasted, it just pops up a little error message window saying it.
    • Where's the executable?: this is pretty interesting actually, I never thought about how the files would look on Windows. For this one I'll rename the main starcheat file to starcheat.py. Only reason it was like that before is it looks neater on linux/mac but that's super minor.
    • Windows build instructions: this is obviously becoming the biggest barrier, it's just a bit hard without a Windows computer for myself. What I'm gonna do soon is set up a Windows test environment, get the whole build process documented proper and rewrite the README. I am also looking into releasing standalone Windows executables that will run with installing any extras but probably not until a few more updates and still looking into how large the resulting file would be.
    In other news, I added support for managing your known blueprints/recipes which looks like this:
    [​IMG]

I'll probably be working on that Windows stuff next and then onto getting proper item option editing.

UPDATE: Changed the filename to starcheat.py and updated the build instructions. Hopefully a little more clear for Windows users.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2013
    Clockwork likes this.
  9. KeWhat

KeWhat Seal Broken

Can you make a tutorial Video on Youtube that show how to do this?

10. isaacbr13

isaacbr13 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

plz make a tutorial video

SnugglyWarBear and Beeflex like this.
  11. Clockwork

I could help with the windows build if you want. I have almost no experience in python stuff, but I could probably figure it out.

Also, a few minor gripes while I'm at it, none of these majorly effect it hut could still use a fix once your done getting the core done:
    1. When you start the program it opens in the binary directory, it should start in the player save directory, this is probably just a windows thing but it's still a bit annoying.
    2. Tech chips don't show up, I'm not sure if there's a way to index them since they don't have regular item files, but since there are so few manually doing it might not be a problem. I've just be adding them by findking their name and adding a -chip suffix.
    3. Racial swords don't have images.
    4. Why do I need to go through two windows to add an item? It sseems a bit uneccesary.
    Good luck with the cheating!

restoredhalo901 likes this.
  12. wizzomafizzo

I'll see what I can do. If someone else wants to though, go for it.

I'll take as much help as I can get :)

For the gripes:
    1. Opening in the player directory is default behaviour so that's strange it's not doing that for you. Have you definitely set the starbound_folder option in build/starcheat.ini? If so, can you let me know the actual path to your player saves, maybe I am generating the path wrong.
    2. Do you mean techs equipped or tech chips still unlearned sitting in inventory? If you mean equipped, there's no support for that yet. If you mean inventory, can you please upload your save file and I can see what's up.
    3. It looks like generated items don't have an inventory icon set in their asset file. I think it's kept in a default file somewhere so I'll try add a thing to index those too.
    4. The problem is that the item edit dialog is showing the contents of an inventory slot in the save file, but the item browser is looking at asset files, so it's a bit complicated to just merge them. How about if when you try edit an empty inventory slot it automatically pops up the item browser window as well?

Clockwork likes this.
  13. Clockwork

1. Ah, I set it to go to my binary folder (which in my defense is what you said to do :P ), I changed it to the entire Starbound folder and now it goes to the player directory.
    2. Techs sitting in the inventory. Here's a file with what I'm talking about, the first item is "jetpackTech-chip" and the second is just "jetpackTech", and the one with -chip at the end is the only one that works.
    3. Sorry I should have been more specific, I was talking about racial swords, although they might be lumped together with generated swords in this regard.
    4. Yeah that would work.

14. wizzomafizzo

Can you post what assets_folder is set to now? Still not quite sure I get what was wrong.

I've added techs and tech chips to the items database now, looks like they're showing up okay. Also made the item browser pop up by itself.

Do you know the name of that sword ot even better the asset file location? Just want to double check it is a generated item.

15. Clockwork

I'll just post the .ini file
    Code:
    [starcheat]
    # Folder with Starbound binaries (for your OS)
    starbound_folder=E:\SteamLibrary\SteamApps\common\Starbound
    # Folder with Starbound assets
    assets_folder=E:\SteamLibrary\SteamApps\common\Starbound\assets
    # Assets database location
    assets_db=assets.db
    Basically you were asking people to put in where their binaries where, but you wanted the entire starbound folder. My problem was on line 3, instead of just having '\Starbound' I had '\Starbound\win32'. It might be different for linux or something.

Any craftable weapon I try to put in has no icon, but they still show up in the game so it's not a big problem.

16. wizzomafizzo

I think you might be right. I'll probs change that to player folder instead. I think I'm starting to figure this icon situation too but it'll be a fair way to go in the code. Icons in starbound are very complicated...

I've just finished a standalone windows build using cx_freeze. Here is a link for people to download and test:
    https://mega.co.nz/#!sxwFQAJa!fkQyHHNK1WWiAplNCgm4nRktNmUhlIjVrWYv71H7jS8
    https://mega.co.nz/#!hloTGLxL!HtQ-Y1nNKPpPTzODxev12TPqn3hB7bk1dXSH7rCFzkk

Unzip that somewhere, update starcheat.ini with the correct values, and run starcheat.exe!

This works on my test system but still needs a test on Windows without Qt or Python already installed.

17. hakari

hakari Subatomic Cosmonaut

failed to load some Qt platform plugin for windows or something

18. wizzomafizzo

19. KeWhat

KeWhat Seal Broken

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Starbound there you have it on my computer.

AIDENEDIA likes this.
  20. nnnn20430

nnnn20430 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

wooo this thing is awesome :D spend sevral hours geting pyqt5 to work for my old distro since it had alot dependencie problems i shold upgrade to some newer distro but im too lazy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.