1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Starbound - Steam Charts

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Galacticon, Aug 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Galacticon

Galacticon Void-Bound Voyager

2. nofo

nofo Scruffy Nerf-Herder

It means people lost interest rather quickly and there is little in the way to re-engage people. I would expect to see a spike when next patch is released and a similar aftermath with the duration in which it occurs entirely dependent on the amount of content in the patch.

MysticMalevolence, Starbug and Skarn like this.
  3. Skarn

Skarn Existential Complex

The impression I've got from the community is that people are just waiting to get their hands on a new stable. They've retained a fairly dedicated group of players through the wait, probably serious testers and the more persistent modders and people playing with friends I'd imagine. The rest are probably playing other games and whatnot.
    Basically this, though it's not just a matter of content exactly. There's also the fact that many people who have bought the game have yet to play it. We'll probably see a pretty big surge once the game reaches the stage 2, stage 3, full release milestones.

At least I would hope so. It would be rather odd if a game sells over a million copies yet only a small fraction of that group ever actually plays it. :rofl:

My guess is Stage 2 will be the largest surge in terms of that. People probably wouldn't wait for stage 3 when the game is mostly done already.

4. Lintton

Lintton Guest

Nothing out of the ordinary. People are playing stable or nightly, others are waiting for an update. And as its not an mmo, the game's financial success is based on sales, not subscriptions.

5. http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/what-happened-to-our-playerbase.82317/

It's been brought up before. And not just by these two threads. You can find a link to that chart in almost every heated thread here in GD.

But basically. You can't rely on that chart. It only displays the trend in peak players at particular times compared to the highest peak time. But it doesn't show you information about unique players at all. So the 2000 people playing Tuesday, aren't necessarily the same 2000 people playing Wednesday. The chart simply means what it represents. The amount of peak players changes every day, and that number seems to decline as time progresses without an update.

I am closing this thread though; history is evident that this thread will lead to trouble. @nofo has already been reported for misinformation and @Galacticon has already been reported for flame baiting. :coffee:

Space_explorer and Serenity like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.