Modding Discussion Starbound Sports. Suggestions and Ideas.

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by BloodyFingers, Nov 21, 2014.

1. BloodyFingers

BloodyFingers The End of Time

So, with November 19th update came the beach ball and paper planes. And with all the conversation going on over there, something struck at me that brought an old idea I had ever since I started playing Starbound:

Couldn't there be some sort of athletic activity tied to game progression? Like a (tentatively titled) Space-ball career.

But why is this in the Modding section?

Now, I'm still gathering the details that would comprise this absurd enterprise. And since I believe it doesn't really have a place in vanilla Starbound (at least the 1.0. If the devs decide to implement some sort of sports in the game that'd make me happy) I'm thinking of throwing together a suite of mods that would allow this to work. If it doesn't exist yet, then I'm gathering a team to work on it (I know my way around coding so I could put some time into learning how to mod this game as well).

So? What do you all think of this? Any ideas for rules and game modes? Critic is also welcome, as I imagine there will be quite a lot of issues involving this crazy idea.

2. Warped Perspectiv

Warped Perspectiv Pangalactic Porcupine

DODGEBALL!

BloodyFingers likes this.
  3. BloodyFingers

Zero grav would make this so rad.

4. Warped Perspectiv

Well, I definitely know that dodgeball is already easy to implement given how you can deal damage with the throwable items. Could make obstacle courses in arenas, and just have one ball being shared among everyone.

5. BloodyFingers

Hmm. Any limits on ball hogging? Just punishment by giving points to the rival team, or some other nasty surprise?
    The whackier the better. This needs to be fun to watch as well...

I'm still thinking bombs...

And teams of three? Is that too much or too little? I'm guessing that more than that could be hard to assemble enough people... and there is space constraints as well. I still don't know how large the arenas would be.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2014
  6. Warped Perspectiv

I would say no limits, as you'd have to throw it to get the other person, and then it'll allow people to fight over who can get it first. I mean you could easily have 2 separate sides for throwing and build an arena type thing.
    3 could be good.
    For an extreme version, we could have the dodgeball as a time bomb that damages you on impact while still counting down. Either have it reset on throw or just have it keep going and generate a new one when it explodes.

7. BloodyFingers

Oh crap, speaking of arenas I guess those have to be shielded against tampering as well...
    That means one builder per stadium, if we're using the method Kawa used for applying shield generators.

8. Warped Perspectiv

Oh yeah. Can do that too.
    We could basically go like smash bros arenas with platforms for running and dodging if you don't put people on sides.
    Paintball guns will be fun.

9. Peelz

Peelz Giant Laser Beams

Quiddich :geek:

The | Suit and BloodyFingers like this.
  10. BloodyFingers

That had crossed my mind, yeah.
    It's quite complex, but if someone is willing to put the effort behind it they'll have my support.

11. BloodyFingers

Giving it some consideration, dodgeball would have players acting as referees. Automatizing this would require a mod for implementing it's rules (like counting which team has been hit and how many times). It would be cool if we could do this using the vanilla game, so anyone could join in.

Though if a mod comes out of this and it catches CF's attention it might end up in the vanilla.

But then there's the issue of following the rules. How would we deal with people attempting to act out of line? Kneecap then shoot them in the head like that trailer from Wolfenstein: the New Order? If this would be sponsored by Big Ape I could see this happening...

I though about the Smash Bros-like rule of knocking players out of the ring. It would be close to Pro-bending in Legend of Korra. Then wire some sensors on the bottom for scoring. That might work, but then we have to adjust how impactful the ball is...

Last edited: Nov 26, 2014
  12. capSAR273

capSAR273 Aquatic Astronaut

If you look at the daily blog you'd see the beach ball :p Perhaps volleyball could be something?

13. BloodyFingers

If it uses beach volleyball rules (two players, one in front one in the back) I could see this working. More than that and the stadium needs to be huge or a well placed team easily becomes an impenetrable wall.

But then we would need a strikeable ball. Holding it and then immediately throwing it sounds too complicated. Not to mention we would also need a way to apply the desired force on it. As is, we can only send the ball at a set strength, so a player receiving the ball and passing it forward to a teammate will require some twitch precision.