1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Starbound Roadmap: Text Edition

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Herdo, Apr 3, 2013.

1. Herdo

Herdo Pangalactic Porcupine

I've decided to catalog the information on the Roadmap in a text version. The main reason for doing this is to keep a log of the completion of each section, and to keep track of the information associated with each section. Right now it's unknown how the information will be updated, and it's possible it will simply be updated without any notice, so my thinking is that some things may go unnoticed. Having it in a text form will allow us to compare the two and see if anything has been updated. http://www.playstarbound.com/roadmap/

100%
    90%
    80%
    70%
    60%
    50%
    40%
    30%
    20%
    10%

RECENT CHANGES
    • CREATURE GENERATION: Fish: "It's" changed to "its" (typo, no change in development) 4/3/2013

UNIVERSE GENERATION
    • Universe / sector generation 90%
    The Universe is divided into sectors, each sector contains a huge number of solar systems. Sector generation, solar system generation, planet generation and orbiter generation systems are complete. We may add more features to this, however, as well as the ability to insert hard-coded systems and special areas as we progress.
    • Biome Content 90%
    A large number of biomes are present and content complete. There is always room to add additional trees, bushes, plants, and completely new biomes. We’ll be constantly adding these post release.
    • Mini Biomes 60%
    We have a number of mini biomes per larger biome, these biomes need to be given unique drops and more of a purpose. Though they do currently provide a nice level of variety.
    • World-level parameter gen 70%
    The world generation code is capable of choosing biomes, terrain shapes, temperature, liquids, weather, ore distribution, underground layers, cave structure and more. However these elements need to be tied to the planet’s level to create an overall difficulty.
    • Star / Planet orbital rendering 80%
    Planet art is generated to appear beneath the players ship when the player is in orbit. The planet art matches the biome present on the planet as well as the planet’s dominant liquid. The travel animation from planet to planet / solar system to solar system needs to be smoother.
    • World bookmarking, storage 80%
    World storage is largely complete, though may require additional work when new features are added. World bookmarking isn’t in yet and will become part of the Starmap.

WORLD GENERATION
    • Biome/Terrain Selection 90%
    Based on the distance to a star and what type of star it is, and the size of the planet, certain biomes are selected. Appropriate terrain for the biome is selected from a pool.
    • Terrain / Cave generation 90%
    Generators are completed for hills, flats, mountains, canyons, chasms, islands and more. However at present each planet only makes use of one generator based on it’s selected biome. We would like multiple terrain generators to make up the planets surface. Cave gen is largely complete, some code is needed to ensure caves are present in rare underground biomes.
    • Liquid Placement 90%
    Liquid placement is complete, with lakes, small pockets of water and entire oceans appearing. However there are still bugs with the implementation linked to dungeon generation interacting with it.
    • Large Dungeon Placement 90%
    Generates a very large, explorable dungeon. Complete and fully configurable. Currently, generates exactly 1 randomly chosen dungeon per world, need to tweaks when and where to generate dungeons, because it is currently too predictable. Also need to force dungeon materials to be very difficult to remove compared to regular blocks.
    • Mini Terrain/Dungeon Placement 70%
    These are small block/object patterns that are used to add predefined features to the terrain. For example a fallen log creating a bridge across a lake could be produced this way and the engine would find suitable places along the terrain to have it appear.
    This feature is code complete and lots of these templates already exist but we would like to add more, along with some biome specific templates come release.
    • Plants/Object/Chest Placement 90%
    The engine is capable of spawning any defined object or plant in a defined distribution around a biome. This is more or less code complete, though more objects need to be configured to appear. A small task.
    • Plant Growing 60%
    Crops, grass and trees all need to grow over time. Crop growth is complete, but grass spreading needs work and tree growth need to share the same code. Crops currently appear in biomes but do not spawn fully grown as they should.
    • Parallax & Colour Processing 90%
    Parrallax and colour shifting is complete, a couple of parallax bugs require a fix but the parallax system is robust enough to create almost any kind of backdrop.
    • Weather / Time / Temperature 90%
    Largely complete, biomes have their own temperature ranges and sets of weather patterns. Rain, snow, wind, thunderstorms, sunshine and more already exist in the game and the player temperature mechanic is complete, though the stats may need tweaking to provide the correct level of challenge. Day/Night cycles are complete and their length based on the planets position around it’s sun. As well as light they also have an effect on temperature and mob spawns.

CREATURE GENERATION
    • Quadrupeds 70%
    The game can produce a huge range of quadruped npcs, with unique behaviours, stats, size and art.
    • Bipeds 70%
    The game can produce a huge range of biped npcs, with unique behaviours, stats, size and art.
    • Fish 50%
    The generator for fish NPCs and all of its art has been configured but fish do not yet appear in game.
    *It's changed to its. 4/3/2013
    • Flying 50%
    The generator for flying NPCs and all of it’s art has been configured but they do not yet appear in game.
    • Humanoids 20%
    Humanoid npcs include villagers and dungeon guardians. The ground work has been laid to get these into the game dynamically.
    • Pregenerated NPCs 50%
    A number of pregenerated NPCs appear in the game and we’d like to add a handful of unique npcs per dungeon/village.
    • Behaviour Scripts 50%
    A number of NPC behaviour scripts are complete and more are being added, these can be applied to all NPCs and are performed differently based on the NPCs stats.
    • Enemy Projectiles 60%
    Ranged enemies can be set to shoot any projectile, or for that projectile to be chosen dynamically. A number of enemy projectiles already exist. More are being added.

DUNGEONS AND VILLAGES
    • Dungeon/Village generation 80%
    Dungeon generation is complete, though occasionally we do need to add additional features when a new dungeon demands something of the engine it can’t currently do. We have a large number of dungeons and villages in the game, the layout for each is procedurally generated each time. Each race has at least two dungeons and 1 village, often more. Of these the majority are in the game, with others already designed and graphically complete, awaiting layouts.
    • Dungeon protection 20%
    Players will be unable to break dungeon objects/blocks until they destroy an item that protects the dungeon. This item needs to be implemented.

QUESTS AND MISSIONS
    • Interact with NPCs 20%
    NPC interaction is largely limited to combat at present. Quest generation is one of our next big goals with development. The quest and shop UI has been designed and is ready to be placed in the game. Friendly NPCs will protect their property and will speak differently to players of different races.
    • Quest management UI 40%
    The quest management UI has been designed and mocked up, ready to be implemented.

ITEMS
    • Melee weapon generation 80%
    Melee weapons are fully generated, stats such as swing speed, damage per hit, range, class and more are configured dynamically. Each melee weapon is given a generated graphic and name. We would like the way the weapon is used to differ per class a bit more and are currently adding additional mods, such as flaming weapons.
    • Gun generation 90%
    Gun weapons are fully generated, stats such as shot speed, shot damage, energy consumption, level, and more are configured dynamically. Each gun is given a generated graphic and name. A good first set of projectile mods has been produced allowing the different classes of guns to shoot many different things.
    • Projectiles 70%
    A large number of projectiles have been produced and plugged into gun generation. Explosive weapons need to carry over their damage to their explosion and adding some additional options to projectile configuration will allow for an even wider array of projectiles to be produced.
    • Blocks 90%
    Block code is very much complete, blocks have a wide variety of settings, this includes their health, their physics, transparency, value and so on.
    There is little to no code required to finish up blocks, only a few more materials need to be added, this will continue to be expanded post release.
    • Objects 90%
    Object code is very much complete, objects have a large number of settings that allow us to create almost any object in minutes. Though some objects with special uses do need lua scripts written for them.
    • Consumables 70%
    Consumable code is complete and a large number of consumables exist already, this includes items the player can eat, drink or otherwise use a single time. Additional consumable effects need to be added, buffs/debuffs and so on.
    • Armors 70%
    Armor code is largely complete, a large number of armors have been designed. Many of them are already in the game, others are being added slowly as we work on larger tasks.
    • Vehicles 20%
    Vehicles items will beam down a vehicle from the players ship that alters the players physics and movement. Mechs and hoverbikes have already been designed and animated. Implementation on those has not yet started however.

PLAYER MECHANICS
    • Player physics and movement 80%
    The full set of player movements is complete, this includes walking, running, crouching and swimming. The keyboard and mouse is the default method of control and currently the only one implemented. Though gamepad support is a possibility in the future. Items and tech that alters player physics and movement is an ongoing task.
    • Status Effects 100%
    Status effects include poison, burning, slow and more. The basic framework for status effects is present, some work needs to be completed on their visual representation. e.g the player/npcs giving off flames whilst burning.
    • Item and Tool usage 80%
    Items and tools include anything a player can wield. A full and extensible item system is ready for use, and most common tools have been created. There’s still some work to do on specific items and item types however.
    • Character Creation 100%
    Character creation is complete, though we may add additional options in the future. You can test out a web based version of the character creator on www.playstarbound.com

CORE MECHANICS
    • Physics / Collisions 100%
    Collision is complete and has been tested as working as expected up to ridiculous speeds. Some minor bugs with lip jumping that need to be sorted out.
    • Network Protocol 90%
    Protocol is functional, but in constant flux as we add/remove/change various features. Protocol is not yet versioned, so using old versions of the client can cause errors.
    • Entity Querying & Management 90%
    Entities are tracked irrespective of their type. Their interface is unified to accept basic management commands. Moreover, they can also be queried by type. This simplifies code maintenance.
    • Low level world/entity storage 90%
    Differences between base generated state and current state are stored in a custom coded B-Tree based database and serializes to a file.

SERVER STUFF
    • Party Mechanics 20%
    Allows party formation, party chat, invitations to other players ships, PVP, mission instances and more.
    Some of the base work on 'teams' is done, including teams for NPCs, allowing for NPCs to fight amongst themselves.
    However most of the work here is interface work that has yet to begin.
    • Unique player IDs/Storage 40%
    Needed for effective moderating, for parties, for anti-tampering with secure servers.
    • Security / Anti Cheat 20%
    Needed for rate limiting, for ultra fast movement detection and auto moderation, for cooldown violation, for hitbox tampering and other client side hacks. Need to move some things to server for security’s sake.
    • Admin tools 20%
    Everything an IRC server has. Multiple channels, muting, banning, group chatting, broadcast messages, identification and authentication by password and/or by user key, forced nick changing, klining, banning by IP or client fingerprint. User whitelists. User permissions in the form of Access Control Lists or IRC Flags.

USER INTERFACE
    • Crafting/Cooking 80%
    The crafting interface is functional and powerful, however work needs to be done on the information it displays to show you the stats of the item you’re crafting. The cooking window is complete
    • Health / Hunger / Temperature 100%
    Health, hunger and temperature bars are complete including unique behaviours from each depending on the players situation.
    • Inventory 90%
    The inventory window is complete minus a couple of bugs that need to be smoothed out.
    • Party 20%
    The party window has been designed and the graphics are available, awaiting implementation.
    • Tech 20%
    The tech window has been designed and the graphics are available, awaiting implementation.
    • Chat 70%
    The chat window is in and functional, additional functionality for whispering/world/universe chat need to be added as tabs to this interface.
    • Travel / Fuel UI 90%
    Travel destinations are selected via a Starmap, which is largely complete. There is room however to add some transition animations and some UI sounds. The fuel UI is complete, some items need their fuel values reconfigured.
    • Tooltips 90%
    Tooltips appear on every item, giving you a description or stats. This is mostly complete, though a few items need special stats to appear in these tooltips.
    • Investigation 100%
    Investigation is complete (minus one bug fix).
    • Log 90%
    The log UI has been designed and is awaiting implementation. A large number of documents, lore books, letters, etc have been produced to fill the log book.
    • Hotbar 100%
    The hotbar is complete, though discussion on a slot dedicated to weaponry is taking place.

I'M IN SPAAAAAACE!
    • Eat Cake 596%

-Winter-, Yuni, SmoothGuy and 23 others like this.
  2. Herdo

Genius

Kitty Box, Ellie, Nesden and 2 others like this.
  3. Imtherenothere

Imtherenothere Orbital Explorer

Nice work!

Herdo likes this.
  4. Red Siberian

Red Siberian Void-Bound Voyager

First minor changes: apostrophe removed from creature generation / fish & flying descriptions :)

Herdo likes this.
  5. Herdo

Haha, yes I heard mention of that. Updated!

6. ShattForte

ShattForte Void-Bound Voyager

So the game is rougly 70% done, would that be correct?

7. Herdo

Each section is weighted differently, so trying to put a figure on the entire project is going to be impossible. For instance, the Travel/Fuel and Weather/Time/Temperature are both at 90%, but that doesn't mean they both took the same amount of time/work to get to 90%. We won't know the extent of the variables (namely the time it took to get to this point) until the project is complete.

The purpose of this is to track the changes that occur without having to check it everyday and hoping your memory is strong enough that you notice a change.

8. Mianso

Mianso Black Hole Surfer

Might I suggest to scale colors from red to green with the percentage?
    90% 100% 70% 50%
    Like that.

blind sniper and Sakaru like this.
  9. MachoBandit

MachoBandit Pangalactic Porcupine

It might be useful to add a date so we can see when it was last updated. Also, all the descriptions are distracting, we can read it on the actual roadmap. I think it would be better if we just had a list of percentages with colours and an arrow indicating the 5 (or perhaps 10 depending on the devs' working speed) most recent changes. Also, bold font for sections that are currently being worked on, as visible by the dev chars on the map.
    I think this will make it easier to track changes and development.

E.g.
    QUESTS AND MISSIONS
    Interact with NPCs - 20% --> 30%
    Quest management UI - 100%

This could also just be added at the top or bottom if you wish to show the descriptions as well. Either way, I think the percentages are what people are most interested in.

-Winter- and Thanel like this.
  10. This is really Herdo helpful! I this this will help us all get a better idea of how close we are getting to beta, if the roadmap does indeed indicate the necessary elements for the beta.

**Oh geez....I sound drunk! I really need to check my responses before I post them lol**

Herdo likes this.
  11. Herdo

What do you think? There is simply not enough colors, or the colors are too indistinguishable to do every 10%. I think this looks good.

12. Mianso

Mianso Black Hole Surfer

There is a color slider.Anyway try with:
    10% 20% 30% 40% 50% 60% 70% 80% 90% 100%
    Edit:Also select bigger font maybe?

Herdo and blind sniper like this.
  13. Herdo

Thanks Mianso. Unfortunately, I don't see a difference haha. 10% and 20% look exactly the same, 30% and 40% look exactly the same, 50% and 60% look exactly the same, 70% and 80% look exactly the same, and 90% and 100% are different.

If they are in fact the same color, this was actually my first thought. Change color every 20%. I actually was half way through posting a comment about it when I changed my mind. :laugh: I'll try it out.

14. Deleted some posts. Don't start a flamewar. Keep it classy. Thanks.

JackOfAllTrades and Mianso like this.
  15. Guppy The Cat

Guppy The Cat Heliosphere

I love you.

16. Herdo

Get out of space

♫Get in to my car♫

17. Mastaf

Mastaf Big Damn Hero

There are so many 90%! Can't they just finish all of them? And then do the rest? Ughhh.. My inner pedant won't take it anymore!
    Do something!

Herdo likes this.
  18. Gadgetguy

Gadgetguy Bag of Holding

Thank you very much for this!
    Everyone in my area and even a friend in Brazil, we are all having internet problems.
    This really helps due to much less resources consumed.

Herdo likes this.
  19. Herdo

No problem! Unfortunately they haven't updated anything yet, but when they do I will keep it updated!

20. blejd

blejd Scruffy Nerf-Herder

keep on doing great work mate!

Herdo likes this.