1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Starbound Nightly Beta Findings or Interesting Things

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by phillip2001, Jun 17, 2014.

1. Aroxys

Aroxys Scruffy Nerf-Herder

It does make some measure of sense gameplay-wise though. Copper is only used for the Cooking Table, Hoe, Copper Pickaxe, and now Steel, and if it weren't an alloy component people would probably regard Copper as a near-total waste of time once they got 20 ore. There's no Copper weapons or much of any furniture or block recipe that requires it, and the copper armor set has been completely removed. Logically it makes no sense at all.

2. Mutant1988

Mutant1988 Void-Bound Voyager

Steel still isn't a iron/copper alloy.

There's better ways to keep copper relevant. Like for wiring, processors, really anything electric/electronic.

If it's that important to keep it relevant then have it be a necessary component for every Matter Manipulator upgrade.

MysticMalevolence likes this.
  3. Quilavabom

Quilavabom Oxygen Tank

Actually, copper steel is a thing. Adding copper to the alloy increases corrosion resistance.

Perhaps starbound alloy furnaces have some method of keeping some portion of the carbon present in iron ore at the proper ratio during steel production, making the addition of carbon unecessary?

4. Aroxys

While Quilavabom raised a good point, I'd like to point out that I was simply stating that I understood why a mechanic change like that would be made. Not that I agree with it, hence why I added 'Logically, it doesn't make any sense' to the end of my post.

5. LazerusKI

LazerusKI Phantasmal Quasar

actually i think its better to make alloys out of two metals, instead of metal and fuel like before.
    None of the alloys is now made with fuel, they all need two metals

MysticMalevolence likes this.
  6. Severite

Severite Subatomic Cosmonaut

Gameplay wise, I can buy its better that you arnt burning the same resource used as power for the ship, as for an alloy material. Thinking about it, it makes more sense to have coal be used in the making of steel, and maybe other alloys, and make fuel start as plutonium, with the same filling power as coal currently, and maybe then add another fuel source to take the place plutonium now holds. It makes more sense from a logic point of view.

7. Harlander

Harlander Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Uranium, surely?

(It'd be interesting to have a nuclear reactor which produced some plutonium as its waste products, but I can't think of a way to make that actually interesting in the game...)

8. Mutant1988

Making radiation a health draining field unless you use a radiation suit? Requiring a support structure to be built around the reactor itself that requires water as a cooling source (Yay for liquid collection) to prevent it from overloading with a spectacular explosion as a result?

This reactor would obviously supply you with some form of power source (Fusion batteries) to use on other things (Ship shield upgrades, ship photonic cannons, proton torpedos, planetary meteor protection shield bubbles, beam weapons, interstellar teleports?), rather than be a consistent required power source (Doubt they want to implement an electrical grid system.

But yeah, I think the way to go is to make plutonium exclusively present on moons and asteroids (Keeping the super fuel in a dangerous to explore environment) and keep the terrestrial radioactive material Uranium. Because the way I understand it is that it's impossible for plutonium to occur naturally (Or rather, impossible on an earth like planet).

On that topic, anyone but me wanting to see a proton pack and proton beam added to the game? Borderlands The Pre-sequel put the idea in my head it just seems like something that would fit perfectly with Starbound. As would a Ghost Busting quest.

This just has the effect of diminishing the use of coal instead of copper. Because as it is, coal too is soon replaced by other fuel sources.

I think steel should stay as Coal + Iron. That's what it is, after all. That way coal remains relevant as more than just something you use to make torches for a bit longer.

Copper still has a point, if it's used as a component of any and all electronics. But I remember that being more of a nuisance than a positive in the stable build, as copper became less common on higher level planets, forcing you to backtrack to lower level planets to essentially grind for it. Replacing copper with diamond for higher level electronics might be a good idea. As well as adding a means to trade ores for different ones to outposts. Space trading is an element I feel that is a bit lacking (Or rather, non-existent - We can buy things, but not sell them) at the moment.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2014
  9. Harlander

Harlander Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I do like the idea of complicated systems like this, but much like IndustrialCraft in Minecraft, it's probably sufficiently different from the core gameplay experience that it's better placed in a mod. (Incidentally, Plutonium does occur in nature - it's found in trace amounts in deposits of uranium. It's just not in sufficient quantity to use)

Copper -> gold -> (fibre optics)? How common are diamonds as the game goes on, anyway?

10. Jafetgx

Jafetgx Phantasmal Quasar

That outpost arcade game is killing me.... is it actually solvable?

11. Quilavabom

Quilavabom Oxygen Tank

Aren't these little jerks supposed to be, y'know, bad guys?
    upload_2014-11-21_15-48-10.png

Yeah, he seems nice, but he truly is a jerk. The penguin bay had literally nothing! They didn't even acknowledge my presence. Rude.

12. Peelz

Peelz Giant Laser Beams

Ah, this explains the addition of the penguin species in the diffs that Kawa posted recently.

13. Broconut

Broconut Cosmic Narwhal

I dunno, he seems like a pretty chill guy to me. Even doge here is like "Wow, so cool!"

[​IMG]

Quilavabom and Peelz like this.
  14. Mutant1988

So is it a known fact that the Grappling Hook is hopelessly broken in Nightly?

Because it is very much broken.

Also, Oil cannot be used as fuel for your space ship. This seems extremely weird to me.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2014
  15. arden03

arden03 Big Damn Hero

please tell me the penguin playable character will stay in the game! of course only if novakid comes back aslo haha[DOUBLEPOST=1416683052][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Nightly is very much broken... and actually oil as fuel is what seems weird to me... the fact you can't use it as fuel makes tons of sense.

16. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

How come no one mentioned the epic track that plays for the moon base mission?!

17. Mutant1988

But being able to use coal to fuel a starship engine makes sense?

Let me put it this way - The gas station on the Outpost sells oil, among other things. This gives me the impression that it's intended as a fuel source.

Adding to that is the fact that gasoline and diesel are refined from oil.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oil#Mineral_oils
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petroleum#Fuels

18. neil_v

neil_v Big Damn Hero

Coal could be used more, refined to pure carbon and used for making almost anything. Carbon fiber, carbon nano tubes, main ingredient in cloning or manufacture of biological matter. Copper could be fun in a science fiction-y way, it's right next to nickel and zinc (electron wise), both used for steel making. Add or subtract an electron. I think a fictitious device that adds and subtracts electrons from an element could go a long way in a game like this; A transmogrifier of sorts. http://www.ptable.com/

Silvestre and Guthrie28 like this.
  19. Mike the Miner

Mike the Miner Void-Bound Voyager

I poked a status pod and it switched my Avian's gender, color, and other such cosmetic features while also making me bounce of walls when I jumped next to them. I would have investigated more, but I was too busy laughing until the effect wore off.

20. Aroxys

Yeah, but bear in mind that it's crude oil and not refined fuel. Coal makes at least some sense as while it is a dirty fuel, you also don't need to do anything to it to make it burn beyond igniting it.