1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Starbound Nightly Beta Findings or Interesting Things

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by phillip2001, Jun 17, 2014.

1. thakyZ

thakyZ Cosmic Narwhal

How do I get to admin mode?

2. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

3. thakyZ

thakyZ Cosmic Narwhal

How do I change one of the JSON attributes when spawning an item?
    I tried the way minecraft uses: /spawnitem smallwoodencrate 21 {'slotCount': 64}

4. The Observer

The Observer Phantasmal Quasar

/spawnitem (itemname) (amount). No other arguments are allowed.

5. The | Suit

You can use other arguments [variantParamaters] the item should should have them. For example the monster ball has variant parameters in what the ball holds. Another example would be the seedling for tree's also holds parameters.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2014
  6. Juxtor

Juxtor Phantasmal Quasar

Been away from the game for a while and am now investigating the nightly build. Most is very promising. I was initially confused by a few changes such as the removal of the ability to repair mining tools (until I found a thread indicating that this was an intentional change rather than a glitch). I also see the tier'd pick axe thing where you must upgrade your pick axe before mining higher tier ores. Hmmm. Maybe it should be that using a mining tool below the tier requirement simply takes much longer rather than being impossible? And not being able to repair mining tools means we have to carry multiple pick axes with us instead of fixing the one we've been using? Some of these changes feel like they only serve the purpose of slowing our ability to progress. Obviously aware that the game is very WIP so keep it up!

7. The | Suit

They are planning on making Pickaxes magical one time use super tools for mining specific ores. They are planning on shifting the upgrade system of mining to the mater manipulator. An pickaxes will soon become only rare drops.

8. Owl_Stalker

Owl_Stalker Guest

"Mater Manipulator?"
    upload_2014-10-11_16-43-12.png

turb, rhomboid, Yzzey and 2 others like this.
  9. The | Suit

Basically Mater is after all a super tool in it self. When was the last time you saw a pick up truck which can fly?

Presios Saiyan and Owl_Stalker like this.
  10. Aroxys

Aroxys Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'm not sure if it's been reported on or not yet, but I've run into one of the showcased Floran dungeons. It's obviously incomplete, and there's a developer statue right next to the entrance, but it was neat going through it just to get a feel for what's to come. I even managed to get all the way through it, but the game crashed once I got past what was obviously supposed to be the end of mission area.

...And it may have borked my entire character. Time to go check the Nightly FAQ.

11. arden03

arden03 Big Damn Hero

something i noticed that I am hoping changes back is how trees fall and collide with the ground, kinda annoying watching logs fall through caves haha plus they fell in a really cool looking way segmenting as they crash down, it was pretty great.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
  12. Hugt

Hugt Phantasmal Quasar

I noticed that moon bases have no loot whatsoever (my experience). The mining chests and crates had no loot. The tree bug is kind of annoying as well hahaha.
    Also, you need to exit and load every time you want to travel.

13. arden03

arden03 Big Damn Hero

just noticed the lantern on a stick doesn't give light... anyone else notice this?

14. thakyZ

thakyZ Cosmic Narwhal

Yes and the oxygen pack that the quest giver on the gateway base doesn't work on the moon

15. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Oxygen Tank

New Biome Scorched

[​IMG]
    it replaces Arid
    and the sky is always red like that
    Pretty =O

Raybolt, Lintton, Haedes and 2 others like this.
  16. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

Sweet genius, yes. I've been wanting more varied lighting conditions on planets... worlds that are always dark (or dark-ish), weird-tinted skies. Worlds constantly enveloped in fog.

Oh. Oh oh oh. I'd love to see worlds that are tidally locked to their suns... that is, there is no day/night cycle. One side is ALWAYS facing the sun, the other always in the dark. One side cooking, the other... not so much.

17. Akado

Akado Oxygen Tank

On the "Always dark" planet, would you find a primitive robot powered by fossil fuels, named Glitch Diesel?

rhomboid and FloranFighter like this.
  18. arden03

arden03 Big Damn Hero

Wooo! they fixed this haha awesome :) i can actually pick up all the wood and seeds again :D

19. Untrustedlife

Untrustedlife Scruffy Nerf-Herder

shouldnt they be the color of there star?, or is teh sky filled with iron particles.

20. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

Our sky is blue most of the time, but our Sun is yellow. And we get red skies here too.

Atmospheric content plays in heavy.