1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Starbound Nightly Beta Findings or Interesting Things

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by phillip2001, Jun 17, 2014.

1. FloranFighter

FloranFighter Subatomic Cosmonaut

But doesn't everyone get the bow? Novas included?

2. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

Can I just say that the thing that's got me excited in this screen shot is actually the corner/junction pipes?

Freakscar likes this.
  3. Scott_Tx

Scott_Tx Scruffy Nerf-Herder

and another bug... cant repair axes or drills. seems like this was working ok when I first started play the nightly betas.

4. Lintton

Lintton Guest

I'm not able to start the game, even after deleting the config file, and player and universe folders. What do I do?

5. Scott_Tx

Scott_Tx Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I gave it up. waiting for a stable release. sheesh.

6. Lintton

Lintton Guest

Apparently is something they are working on. the other forums mentioned the same error.

7. FloranFighter

FloranFighter Subatomic Cosmonaut

Probably just another broken update

8. Jbeetle

Jbeetle Oxygen Tank

probably. nightlies tend to be (disclaimer)

9. Peelz

Peelz Giant Laser Beams

Here's a qoute from the changelog Tiy tweeted:

* Drills, pickaxes and other mining tools now break permanently but have far greater power. Provide temporary mining boost.

10. Azirphaeli

Azirphaeli Void-Bound Voyager

So we should be using our MM for most purposes, and save the tools for heavy mining jobs. Guess the upgrade path for the MM is now super important.

11. Lintton

Lintton Guest

I found in later tiers the pickaxe/drill are better underwater as the mm's liquid collection feature takes priority over its mining, causing delays in certain spots.

12. Blake81

Blake81 Cosmic Narwhal

I just discovered something amazing!

Just went to my old planet (the one in which I built my NEW BIGGAH BIGGAH BASE) to see how had it fared with the return of the caves and I noticed that the planet's surface looks EXACTLY THE SAME as it did before, but, with caves.

That means that the return of the caves might have wiped out the universe and made old files unusable, but, the planets themselves retain the shape they had before, as well as any specifics (Dungeons, trees, chests, etc) they had before the caves' return.

Oh, and btw, I'll probably isolate the current Nightly and build my base again on it. Why? 'CUZ IMMA BUILDAHOLIC!!!!:geek::coffee:

13. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

Huh. I am curious as to how this affects the universe in the stable build... it won't be the end of the world (ha!), but I'd like to keep my big base on my homeworld.

14. Alnitak

Alnitak Scruffy Nerf-Herder

So I messed around with some of the game files and managed to make the lunar base warpto-able.

[​IMG]

Some neat looking crystals:

[​IMG]
    Boss room or something?
    [​IMG]
    And this thing:
    [​IMG]
    boop
    [​IMG]

TheFloranChef, Yzzey and Uzkniso like this.
  15. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Oxygen Tank

nightly didnt hit tonight (thursday 25)

gonna give it another day before i call for omni lol

16. Blake81

Blake81 Cosmic Narwhal

Man, I still can't go into any cave. Every time I go inside of a cave, I get this crash:

Error 4.JPG

I'm tagging @OmnipotentEntity here. I trust he'll be able to tell what's causing this odd bug.

EDIT: Oh, almost forgot, very important. It happens ONLY when on the DirectX executable. It doesn't happen with the OpenGL one. Maybe that's a clue.

17. OmnipotentEntity

OmnipotentEntity Code Monkey Forum Administrator

Thanks for tagging me. But I don't have a good way to test this. I'm going to make a bug for it in our bug tracker. Before I do that though, can you give me a little more info? It looks like you're using Windows XP. What's your graphics driver and such look like?

18. Blake81

Blake81 Cosmic Narwhal

Whoa! Thanks for answering.

Yes, I'm using XP SP3 (I'm seriously amazed that you were able to tell that just by looking at this data). I have DirectX 9.0c and a GeForce 9400 GT 1024MB Vcard with driver Version 6.14.12.8558. I know it ain't exactly up to date gear, but I can run Skyrim max power without issue, so it should be OK here.

However, it seems it's not DirectX alone. Just now I tried with the OpenGL again, and I got the error again. Although the Error message was different. It appears that time I didn't got it was just luck. Here's the error:

Error 5.JPG

Upper is DirectX error, lower is OpenGL Error. They look the same to me save for the mention of ''Direct3DShaderValidatorCreate9'' on the 2nd line.

Also, the error ALWAYS HAPPENS IN THE SAME PLACE. Planet Epsilon HR 8799 Peg 0849 III b (Coords X:-43 Y:-8), second cave right of spawning point. The one before the large mouth-like formation. Whenever I go past the long vine in the entrance, CRASH.

Perhaps you can replicate the error with that data. Hope this helps.

19. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Oxygen Tank

your grafix card is better then mine and it doent crash for me

then again im useing win7

maybe its an XP proplem?

also @Blake81 he needs the crashlog file not the error window
    i dont exactly remember how to get it tho x-x

20. Blake81

Blake81 Cosmic Narwhal

I know, but the thing is it's not leaving a log. Crash log file's in blank. This is one of those errors that don't show in the error log.