1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Starbound Nightly Beta Findings or Interesting Things

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by phillip2001, Jun 17, 2014.

1. Blake81

Blake81 Cosmic Narwhal

Dang it, good things I've left my SB open all night and didn't let it update.

Yes, and based on what I've seen, surface ore has been restored in a rather unique way. Instead of having bits and patches of ore spread all over the planet's surface, now you have one or two specific places in the planet with a massive concentration of ore. I call them ''Mother Lodes''(Yeah, I'm a MML Fan), and they are usually found either in the bottom of a deep ravine, or in the shape of certain large and suspiciously symmetric hills (They look like one big dome. FIrst time I saw them I thought that there was some sort of mini-dungeon in there). Everywhere else is just coal.

Perhaps the Dev's intention is for us to have one specific area in each planet to serve as a source of ores; maybe even build a mine there. And honestly, I think that might be for the better; to have all the ore gathered in one place where we always go and mine instead of having to maraud the whole planet to dig bits of ore here and there. I mean, remember how back when you were at Alpha Sector, and had to go planet after planets just to gather the iron you needed to make steel and chopping down every tree you came across to make fuel for your ship? That's the kind of excessive grinding that can make most ppl drop a game.

2. Blake81

Blake81 Cosmic Narwhal

Sorry for the double post, but has anyone gotten this Error Message?

Error.JPG

It happens to me at random every time I dig deep into the planet. It seems to be caused by water, because removing water (I always carry a dozen of Drains with me) seems to make it less prone to happen, but I've still gotten it with no water visible. Any ideas of what might be causing it?

3. MysticMalevolence

MysticMalevolence Oxygen Tank

...Sounds unusually familiar...

Untrustedlife likes this.
  4. SivCorp

SivCorp Parsec Taste Tester

I support their plan to have mining areas concentrated in specific areas. Lets keep the planets nice looking, not termite infested.

5. linkthegamer

linkthegamer Master Astronaut

Most stuff starts to after a while.

Which thing is it reminding you of?

6. Mcwolferton

Mcwolferton Void-Bound Voyager

Yeah, I got it to run by deleting the universe folder as suggested by spiritofcat. I also tried adding my character from the previous build and it loaded the ship and character fine but since I had deleted the universe folder I cannot beam down to a planet and I do not have enough to fuel my ship and go anywhere on me to see if that would somehow reset something. I cannot reproduce the error now to screenshot it, but I do remember it having "context" in it. Which now looking at what is in the universe folder, makes sense why deleting it worked.

Edit: Learned how to spawn things in, gave myself lots of coal, tried adding it to my ship in my old character save, and it would not allow it. No crashes while trying this, it just did not add to the fuel in the ship. New characters work fine for me now though.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
  7. Musetrigger

Musetrigger Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Man I'd like to play and start finding this stuff, but the game doesn't last past character select at the moment.

8. MysticMalevolence

MysticMalevolence Oxygen Tank

....It's exactly the same problem people had with the underground, except reversed.

linkthegamer likes this.
  9. Kentoz

Kentoz Subatomic Cosmonaut

We figured this out last page. Delete your universe and player folders

10. Musetrigger

Musetrigger Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Yeah I picked that up several minutes ago.

Cheers.

11. spiritofcat

spiritofcat Big Damn Hero

Has there been an update tonight?
    I expected one about two hours ago but steam doesn't appear to have received one for me.

12. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Oxygen Tank

ehh idk i havnt gotten one eather

13. Candescence

Candescence Void-Bound Voyager

Well, this is interesting, I started fresh with deleting my player and universe folders, but the game crashes as soon as I port down to the planet. It's basically giving me a "Error: Exception caught in client main-loop: (VariantException) Improper conversion to VariantList from null" error in the log file.

14. FrostyAvo

FrostyAvo Void-Bound Voyager

Nightly keeps on crashing without error message when an NPC enters my screen area. When I come back, the NPC is dead and some drops are lying on the ground. Any way to fix this? I don't like exploring towns that look like some supervirus has completely erased all life from it :cry:

[EDIT] Seems like it's not (only) NPCs, the crash logs tell something about dungeons and buildings failing to spawn correctly.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
    Untrustedlife likes this.
  15. Lintton

Lintton Guest

How big are the ore veins in blocks? Because before when only coal was on the surface I was finding some before deep in the mid sized planet I was on.

16. Untrustedlife

Untrustedlife Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I wish they would bring back surface caves :(

FrostyAvo likes this.
  17. FrostyAvo

FrostyAvo Void-Bound Voyager

It took me way too long to realize they're gone. No infinite plant fibre anymore then :(

18. No Leaf Clover

No Leaf Clover Space Hobo

Ohhh, this is why, then..
    I"m gonna bookmark this thread, because nightlies are fun but it's hard to keep track.

EDIT : Where do you get fibers then? Do I have to dig to find caves?

Presios Saiyan likes this.
  19. Lintton

Lintton Guest

Growing plants on a farm, as well as breaking foliage on jungle biomes. Wheat can be a great source, and it grows like jackrabbits.

20. linkthegamer

linkthegamer Master Astronaut

This is starting to feel like Windows tech support with less reinstalling the whole OS.

"Hello, my starbound nightly is not working."

"Delete player, universe, and starbound.config."

Well fiddlesticks, did one come through yet? If not need to alert the team STAT. Don't need another "they canceled the nightlies" incident.

The nightly changelog on starbounder is also nice but we have pictures~. (Well they do two if you click the links most the time)

Seems like the game has not been liking the new generation system from reports of things like this. Need to take a look at the crash logs to get an idea of why. Likely not something we can fix on our end though.

Also not really a supervirus as much as the world around them crashing and destroying them it horrible wake as all of existence just blinks out for a moment. I would imagine it is a painless death, since everything just kinda ceases to be.

Oh yeah. Find that ironic, they and make the underground more interesting and end up making people complain now that the surface is useless.

FrostyAvo likes this.