1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Starbound Nightly Beta Findings or Interesting Things

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by phillip2001, Jun 17, 2014.

1. Kentoz

Kentoz Subatomic Cosmonaut

I eventually got the admin commands to work. The game just won't announce them working anymore. Try adding 1 at the end of whatever command you're trying i.e. /admin 1, /ruinthefun 1

Bryan and Blake81 like this.
  2. Blake81

Blake81 Cosmic Narwhal

Cool! I was just about to ask about that.

Btw, has anyone figured what are those new commands that the spawngun, shield, and weapon asks you now? They ask for Level, Color and Type. And no idea how to input those....

3. Blake81

Blake81 Cosmic Narwhal

Srry bout the double post, but I just made 3 big finds on the latest Nightly.

1-Ship Upgrades Reset Shiplocker

Whenever you Upgrade your ship (be it in the normal way with the AI or via spawned stuff) all the stuff in your Shiplocker RESETS TO NEW GAME DEFAULT (Flashlight, Crappy Starter Sword, Torches, Wheat Seeds), and it happens EVERY TIME YOU UPGRADE. So, I'd advise against the usage of the Shiplocker until this is fixed. Just grab one of those Outpost Lockers, which have as much space as the Shiplocker.

2-Ocean Biomes are ON! But are, like, DRY.

I was randomly searching for planets and I found an Ocean Biome! I was all ''YAY!'' until I beamed up to it and started running around..... And found no water AT ALL. They're just like one big sandy beach with no sea. It was.... real weird. I'll try spawning my own oceans myself. (Using Spawnliquid 3)

3-Found a whole new type of Dungeon!

Temple.JPG

It was right there on the Ocean Planet. It's a freakingly HUGE Floran Temple full of florans wearing WIseman and Cannibal armor who went ''Ssssstaby Time!'' on my char, as well as some White Dinosaur-like monsters which seemed to be pets to the Florans. Another interesting thing is that all those Florans drop Needlers and other Floran-Specific non-craftable weapons, as well as a grenade of sorts called Bug Hive which releases a constant swarm of bugs which deal damage on everything near them for a couple seconds. Place's also full of Spike Pits with jumping puzzles, so, beware.

Untrustedlife likes this.
  4. blazblu

blazblu Orbital Explorer

What's up with not being able to breathe or stay warm at an outpost? I can understand this happening outside, but once inside, the environment should accommodate.

5. Kentoz

It's not that hard, really. Also, color? Not that I know of.

/spawngun 10 legendarypistol/legendaryshotgun/legendaryrifle
    Any one of those will give you a serious endgame shooter

6. Blake81

Blake81 Cosmic Narwhal

I see, thanks for the info.

Btw, found something very interesting and unusual of the Ocean biome I found.

It seems that, since most of the terrain on it should probably be the bottom of the sea, you can find lots of surface ores on it. Specially on the Slime Block patches you find from time to time. Maybe in the future we'll opt for underwater mining.

They also lack any kind of weather; it's always Clear in here.

Also, Sewage Blocks (which you can find lots in the Ocean biome, too. Ick!) are now affected by gravity, just like Fine Sand and Gravel. So, yeah, now you could end up to your neck in sh*t, literally....

Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
    Archer and demanrisu like this.
  7. Bryan

Bryan Phantasmal Quasar

Thanks, man. That totally worked. I wonder why they changed it that way? /admin 1 worked for me, however /ruinthefun 1 did not. Seems a lot has gone wonky in this nightly update, which is expected.

...Those poor, poor people living on the outpost planets...

8. lethallemur

lethallemur Orbital Explorer

Just do /admin now.

9. aprhend1

aprhend1 Subatomic Cosmonaut

Everytime i try to play as one of my characters my game crashes, anyone else have this problem?

10. Kentoz

Tonight's update seems to be the complete inability to load any character, so I'd say it's not just you.

11. Ishton

Ishton Aquatic Astronaut

You may have to delete the character, possible that the update broke your save.

Edit: Nope can't even make a new character without it crashing on me. Kentoz is right

12. Mcwolferton

Mcwolferton Void-Bound Voyager

I deleted all my previous characters and my starbound config file. Then created a new character of every race and each sex. Each resulted in the same error message after failing to load. Then I ran it in openGL mode and tried each character with similar results but a different error exclusive to openGL mode. I've got no mods. Should I bother with a fresh install?

13. Kentoz

I think all we can do at this point is wait for the next nightly and hope it un-:poo:'s the game for us.

aprhend1 likes this.
  14. spiritofcat

spiritofcat Big Damn Hero

I had the same problem, but then I deleted my player folder and my universe folder and it worked fine when I created a new character then.

One thing I've noticed now though, the furnace only seems to support ores up to silver.
    I've collected some gold ore and I can't find a way of smelting it into bars, nor can I find a recipe for a gold pickaxe any more.

15. Kentoz

Huh. Sure enough, deleting those folders fixed the crash.

Outposts are still magma deathtraps, tho.

16. Psycho Hyena

Psycho Hyena Phantasmal Quasar

I'm seeing a wide range of ore on the surface again too. Either something's gone wrong or they've changed their plans, who knooooows?

17. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Oxygen Tank

it seems when novakids examian anything it always says that there is nothing there insted of human quotes
    and if an NPC shows up on screen the game CTDs

18. Mcwolferton

Mcwolferton Void-Bound Voyager

This goes for every race. It needs to be lit up extremely bright before it says anything and then it just tells you a generic sentence about the material but ignores any ore inside it.

Also, has the whole tree planting issue been mentioned yet? Because if you are near any trees you've plated when they would normally sprout into trees, it gets stuck at a random level of sapling growth and stays that way until it disappears or is mined. Then it gives you a sapling that starts a new stack

19. linkthegamer

linkthegamer Master Astronaut

I don't know if the current iteration of the temperature and air systems supports making certain areas breathable or "hot" while the planet itself is airless and cold. Would be interesting to see though.

Likely added it back after people got all upset that the lack of ore combined with the the lack of function of the towns at this moment made the surface "pointless" and force you to just dig into a planet unless you liked to build.

Did you manage to get it to run? If not please post the errors you are getting.

It is one of those darn Magika wizards...

Have the novakid's flavor text for items been added... I honestly can't remember that this point.

For some reason when the game updates to a new character/world format it seems to hate the old one so much it refuses to load the game in they are even in the folder.

20. Bonabopn

Bonabopn Fluffiest Squirrel

What bums! The surface is good for hunting and exploring. c: