Modding Help Starbound crash on startup with mods

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by deadred88, Nov 28, 2014.

1. deadred88

deadred88 Void-Bound Voyager

So, I just started playing Starbound like yesterday. I played for a few hours and finally just gave up after dying and losing all my ore like 10+ times. I haven't been able to repair my ship and leave the first planet. And that's the easiest difficulty available. I have a job and a kid and I don't have time for that ore dropping shit. So I went and found a mod that removes that feature.

So after installing it into the mods folder exactly as directed, trying to launch the game resulted in an error message that started with (starexception) and ultimately crashing the game before the main menu. So thinking maybe it was incompatible with raging koala, I found a cheat box mod and installed it. Same problem, then a creative mode mod. Still the same problem. My game simply will not launch with even a single mod installed. I'm frustrated with the decision to make the easiest difficulty so hard in the first place, as I wouldn't feel the need to use mods in the first place if it weren't for the fact that I will NEVER get off the first planet.

PS. I also tried to use the starbound mod manager and while the game did start up properly, it would seem that it did not actually apply the mod to my game. Can anyone offer any help?

2. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

First always check the version of the mod - it should be in the description.
    If the version of the mod and your gamematch and you still have an issue - use the discussion tab on the mod page to request support.
    Either the mod author or some one who uses the mod will help you.

3. deadred88

deadred88 Void-Bound Voyager

You misunderstand. Regardless of version, my game crashes with ANY MOD installed at all. Could you maybe tell me if having the game installed in a different directory than the default would cause this?

4. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

No I quite understand.
    Version matters a lot. Because there has been a massive overhaul multiple times for mods.
    So versioning matters a lot.

Modpak file extensions must go into starbound/mods folder
    while pak files go into starbound/mods/modname/pak

Those are 2 important things to remember. Notice one has an extra folder one doesn't.

When you contact the mod author - make sure you provide the starbound.log
    http://community.playstarbound.com/...d-errors-fixing-most-problems-yourself.69198/

severedskullz likes this.