1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Starbound 1 year later.. Is it enjoyable yet?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by DotBeta, Mar 3, 2015.

1. I haven't played this game since about February of last year, When CF decided to completely change the roadmap for the game and no longer update stable builds. From what I understand there has recently been the first stable build since Feb of last year, my question is does it make the game worth playing again?

I'm seriously out of the loop here so if someone can just give me a cliff notes on whats been added to this new stable build that would be awesome. I really wanna give it a try again but it left a bad taste in my mouth a year ago.

To everyone that remembers me, heyoo!

2. Teh Freek

Teh Freek Void-Bound Voyager

It's hard to say without knowing what you hated about it a year ago.

3. Throndir

Throndir Scruffy Nerf-Herder

It's fun, but I feel it's still unfinished. There has been a lot of changes and updates when they released their stable, so the game would feel differently. I would say go ahead and try it out, at least til you get bored, then come back another year from now once all their other updates make it through.

There's instanced dungeon/boss fights/quests. Liquid. And lots of changes on the progression in terms of recipes, and materials too.

4. Peelz

Peelz Giant Laser Beams

5. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

...Yet?

I've got 390 hours logged into the Launcher, and probably twice that including unlogged hours. You think I don't find it enjoyable?

6. Yeah I might as well give it a shot and see what this stable brings to the table.

@Teh Freek I didn't like the fact they stopped updating stable version for bug riddled nightly builds that would break the game every other day and u had to use loop holes to make it work etc. etc. I've been waiting all this time for a stable update.[DOUBLEPOST=1425409597][/DOUBLEPOST]

Well I have half of your hours logged and that was literally the first month of the beta, I played the hell out of it int hat time but the lack of stable updates killed it for me.

7. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

I won't lie. I got a bit tired of waiting about August, myself, but I came back and had a ball with Upbeat Giraffe. You should give it a shot, because it is a pretty different experience than before, though there are some issues like ore generation.

8. Teh Freek

Teh Freek Void-Bound Voyager

They've mostly fixed that. Other than a few small updates they made shortly after the last stable release, they have the three streams properly sorted out now (likely thanks to quite a bit of bitching and moaning in the forums). Although I think that Unstable could use updating a bit more often.

9. Silverforte

Silverforte Spaceman Spiff

It's a matter of opinion, to a certain degree. They haven't changed or added enough. They put in a quest system which took that boring, linear kill-boss-for-progression-item 10 times routine and eliminated it. One of my favorite changes. They added a block system and fine tuned some of the combat then corralled each weapon type into 3 'classes'. Other than that, there were no major gameplay changes. Nothing is really new. You can count the outpost but I don't consider a tether like that to be very progressive. The biggest problem with the game is its lack of functionality and how awful online is. They did add admin codes but they're not that great nor effective in certain situations. On top of the sporadic and consistent crashing servers are dealing with. Some people are on the fence about how CF has been rolling back gameplay mechanics that one could argue set it into certain genres more tightly.

For example, they took out the hunger system completely, nerfed temperature so that all you have to do is equip tech to survive harsh worlds and furnaces don't need to cook ore anymore because it's instant. Some like those changes, some feel it took the survival out of the game. I don't personally feel hopeful about the path the game is on. It took them a year to get a stable update out and, when it came out, it did not have a year's worth of progress in it. There were hardly any new gameplay additions and VERY few issues with the game got resolved. Since the last stable Koala, we've been dealing with rain coming through blocks off-screen and large quantities of water not settling properly. We had client-side files (hacker's dream) and still no good method to protect tiles. In a year one would expect all of those concerns to be handled. I really would be okay if they stopped adding new items, new mechanics, new anything and just fixed what was broken with offline and online first. I'm not talking about optimization. They need to fix the game and stop adding new layers of broken on top of broken.

Koala and Giraffe are not that different. The fact we have to install frustrating third-party wrapper software to get base functionality like seeing who is online is, to me, absurd.

Madzai likes this.
  10. Paco495

Paco495 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Cliff Note version - last patch added the fun.

Andr0o likes this.
  11. Akado

Akado Oxygen Tank

Hopefully, the next patch adds Potassium, so that we can say Chucklefish brought back funk.

Okay, lame jokes aside, a LOT of things changed in the stable update, so you really sohuld try it out and see what you do/don't like. Since you played Koala, you also will have a much better idea as to "Do I like the way CF is developing the game?"

If you like many of the big changes? Cool, keep checking in. If you don't? Try offering some feedback, and check in slightly less often. I dunno, just try it.

rhomboid and Andr0o like this.
  12. The update definitely made the game more enjoyable, but as a whole, the game still feels lacking and incomplete. They may have set the base formula for how they want the game to progress, but they've still got quite a ways to go before it's finished in my opinion.

Silverforte and Mackinz like this.
  13. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

I stopped playing shortly after the first release, but came back after the latest stable update. For the first time, I actually had a lot of fun with the game, and felt the desire to return for a bit. I might go back to waiting now, so I don't put too much effort into one character in case progression gets changed around.

Tamorr likes this.
  14. TrueEdge

TrueEdge Phantasmal Quasar

I felt Upbeat Giraffe hit builders really hard, as blocks are harder to come by. They are more predictable, but less abundant.
    So far, I have hole'd myself with mods and avoiding the current patch by using Creative Mode Mod and Fake Ship Mod.

15. Gillius

Gillius Void-Bound Voyager

why dont you try it and see if you enjoy it?

16. SeaJay

SeaJay Space Kumquat

I'd have to agree with this. I've logged a lot of hours and had a lot of fun, but the game has got a long way to go. I'm not expecting a full release this year.

Tamorr likes this.
  17. Nimeni

Nimeni Big Damn Hero

Well, for me, it's less enjoyable unfortunately. I had so much high expectations for the update. And things are not going in the right direction, either. Pets? Really?...I thought other aspects of this game were more important for developers at this moment. I'm losing fate by the minute day. Anyway, I'm spending wasting waaaay too much time checking things in those forums (and on the first page for news). See you in 2016, maybe this game is half done (and that's a BIG maybe).

Madzai likes this.
  18. The changes added quite a few things, all of which I think added to my enjoyment of the game. There are still problems and it's not finished, but it's on its way to being something great. I'd rather they take all the time they need instead of pushing something half finished out and calling it a day.

19. Gonzoro

Gonzoro Void-Bound Voyager

A lot of the things in it that were a bit what's the word flawed were removed such as hunger and temperature, temp was replaced with nano skins to help survive areas

20. Corehaven

Corehaven Subatomic Cosmonaut

Not in my opinion. It felt like the last update added a ton of cool stuff, and took a lot of cool stuff away. The stuff it took away was some of my favorite things about the game.

Is it an update when a lot of features are added, but also a lot of features are axed? Not sure.

TrueEdge likes this.