1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Stable should be out "today" according to Tiy!

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Garatgh Deloi, Jan 28, 2015.

1. Jbeetle

Jbeetle Oxygen Tank

That pretty much sums up that type.

2. Starbug

Starbug Guest

So long as we're not going to have to wait another 9 months, and have all sorts of arguments and meta games about why that was the wrong way to do an early access.

ChuckleFish have turned a page now.

3. Benanator

Benanator Phantasmal Quasar

I guess its both good and bad that there is so much excitement over a stable update... Its good that people are excited... but its bad that its such a rare event that people get this excited for it.

4. RavenX

RavenX Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I already want to know if it's still true there won't be any "character" wipes after this update. If there is, there's still no point in me playing. In order to enjoy it I need to know I'll be able to keep the gear I earn, even if world/universe wipes will still happen.

5. Ekoto

Ekoto Big Damn Hero

I think tiy said that giraffe characters MIGHT be compatible but they will have to be moved from the unstable player folder to the normal player folder

6. RavenX

No, I mean after Giraffe is pushed to stable. When it IS stable, after that, whenever a future version get's pushed to stable, I don't want to loose my character from the Giraffe build that will be stable (hopefully as of today). I don't mean the one on unstable now. I'm not starting over again until Giraffe is stable today, not worried about keeping my unstable character at all. I mean in future stable updates after today's.

7. Ekoto

Ekoto Big Damn Hero

dunno I remember them saying there would never be char wipes again like a year ago but our koala chars are incompatible so far. well I guess its kinda true since they didn't actually get wiped... it would prolly only be safe to assume characters after release will be the only ones that will never get wiped/ be incompatible but iunno that's just how beta/game making works sometimes...

Serenity and RavenX like this.
  8. RavenX

Indeed. I bought in right before the first public release. Everyone was blown away and the game was bustling with activity as well as the forums. Of course we knew then to expect wipes up until release (conceivably 1.0). After long hours of playing and building and collecting though, a good portion of us players wondered how long it would take to get to the point where wipes wouldn't happen as most of us enjoy games like Starbound because of the creativity it allows us. Having your characters and worlds wiped away with every patch is a rather large deterent to a game you know you'll be putting hundreds of hours into in a game where a large portion of it is about being able to build what you want to build.

It was such a large topic the devs had to take note and address the issue. What it came down to then was the way things had been coded, wipes would be a thing for a long time to come until the game got closer to 1.0. The devs though understood that in a game like theirs where collecting and crafting were such huge aspects, a player being able to keep at least some of their progression was the difference between that player playing, or not playing. So they informed us that in order to get to the point of where at least character wipes wouldn't be happening anymore that a lot of the system would have to be changed to accommodate for this as it wasn't something they had originally planned for. In order to do this though it would take a good deal of time and effort. However ultimately it was decided this was what the player base wanted and needed so the time has been taken to do what needed to be done to make it so.

All the people complaining about it taking too long between stable updates and all that should remember, we're the ones that asked for it to be this way so we could keep our characters throughout the development process. That's also why jumping between stable/unstable versions of the game currently causes an entire 700mg download. The differences in coding in the game's engine is pretty massively reworked. Both to allow the upgraded game mechanics we have now, but also to accommodate the need for characters to carry over from build to build much earlier than they were planning to actually do that.

I too remember them saying there wouldn't be character wipes anymore, but they were referring to the upcoming build we'd get after everything was changed to allow for characters to carry over from build to build (being the Giraffe build were getting now). What I want to make sure of is that all the waiting we've done for this build so that characters won't be wiped from here on out still stands and has been worth the wait.

They never promised world/universe wipes wouldn't still have to happen and in fact would most likely happen all the way up to official release, but character wipes were supposed to go away after the long wait for the work to be done to be able to make that happen.

Serenity likes this.