1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Spawn Control

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Wolfedg, Aug 17, 2013.

1. Wolfedg

Wolfedg Pangalactic Porcupine

In Minecraft you place zillions of torches or put down certain blocks on the ground "like glass". In Terraria you put wood or processed stone in the background layer.
    So I am wondering how or if we will be able to control spawns around our houses, farms, cities etc... in Starbound.

Any speculations or confirmations.

Rookee likes this.
  2. Corpj123

Corpj123 Starship Captain

No information, as far as I know. Someone else might know something, though.

Jonesy likes this.
  3. EastBayWilly

EastBayWilly Title Not Found

I'd imagine it'd be very similar to Terraria since it worked then. If it isn't broke, don't fix it right?

Unless the game can detect player-positioned blocks and determine a certain radius for a "safe zone". Either way, I'm sure they will think of something if they haven't already.

4. rewjeo

rewjeo Big Damn Hero

In the Aug 14 stream they had enemies spawn on top of and on both sides of their house, but never within, so my guess is that they already have the Terraria method in the game.

Jonesy likes this.
  5. Rookee

Rookee Big Damn Hero

That is actually a really good question! How does it work in Terraria? Do mobs not spawn around certain blocks?

6. Phyrex

Phyrex Parsec Taste Tester

i hope there's a force-field kind of system that you can put around your house that prevents spawning :p
    that or automated machinegun turrets that can be set to shoot at anything on sight :D

Wolfedg likes this.
  7. EastBayWilly

EastBayWilly Title Not Found

Automated turrets? YES PLEASE!

I would build an epic bunker of doom!

Baneironhand and Wolfedg like this.
  8. TheLoanArranger

TheLoanArranger Ketchup Robot

They couldn't spawn in front of most types of back wall. So properly built indoor areas were pretty much safe zones aside from the teleporting critters. I think that's the simplest logical solution, honestly.

9. Wolfedg

Wolfedg Pangalactic Porcupine

I kind of wonder if this isn't the case. For instance, I noticed that Tiy often puts fences around (and behind) his gardens in the livestreams.

10. WackyWocky

WackyWocky Pangalactic Porcupine

Advanced Defence Systems for our bases and bunkers is something that has been hinted at quite a bit already, as well as traps, mines, spikes etc. So I guess it's a start.

11. Jman1177

Jman1177 Void-Bound Voyager

In Terraria you could build wall blocks in a background layer, and I think you can do the same in starbound. Any man-made background block would prevent monsters from spawning there .

12. steveman0

steveman0 Phantasmal Quasar

I suspect this is just because it looks nice that way.

13. Baneironhand

Baneironhand Subatomic Cosmonaut

Could use those subsonic wave devices ( like they do for mice) and have a radius around a device block that would prevent spawns close by. Great when you set down on a new world and have to calibrate it for the local wildlife.
    That way you wouldn't have to alter a planet as much if it wasn't your home planet. just a tent and repeller. (and Automated turrets cause ya never know)