Spawn Control and Events

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by ThrehserMaw, Jul 26, 2012.

1. ThrehserMaw

ThrehserMaw Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Note: I'm using Terraria as example for what I'm saying.

Spawn:
    I was wondering if we could have an item or anything like to make a certain are "secure" from all kinds of mobs , aggresive , neutral and passive.

In Terraria I had a castle , a village arround it and walls arround everything with boulders on them that I could release to smash everyone outside.BUT I always got angry because even making defences in both sides of my home , enemies would spawn inside it.
    I'd really like something to put inside my home and at my walls to cease mob spawn.Simple like that.
    However , we would have a limit to use this item , so nobody could completely stop mobs from spawing.

Events:
    Events have been cofirmed , but I wanna talk about th events' mob spawns ( yeah more about spawns :V ).

In Terraria we had an event called "Goblin Army".When this event happened , the game would always say "The Goblin Army is approaching from the West/East!" or something like this.The problem is that it would spawn from both West AND East , not at only one of them as the message from the game suggests.

So I'm trying to say that the devs should make a event control.Imagine that one of the events is an Alien spaceship arriving at your planet.Hostile Aliens.It's only one spaceship , so the Alien soldiers should come from only one side!

Tell me your opnions.

2. Kint

Kint Star Wrangler

I like the idea of spawn control :up:; and I think some some type of little "cleansing" tag, that you can hang up on somewhere, would work well for this.
    I also agree with what you said about the Goblin Army in Terraria, and if there's some event like this in Starbound, the "creatures" should actually spawn where they should spawn.

3. Zaba35

Zaba35 Phantasmal Quasar

perhaps some sort of phermone emiiter that drives away monsters the phermone is made for and for synthetic lifeforms an emp feild ?

4. DeathAngel

DeathAngel Void-Bound Voyager

I have one suggestion to Spawn:
    Make mobs to spawn on certain background, backwalls etc.
    Ex. Most mobs will spawn in natural background, dirt walls, but when we make a home with walls like iron backwall they won't spawn.
    Or special mobs that will spawn only when ex. the room is made of iron walls and gold backwall.

5. ThrehserMaw

ThrehserMaw Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I was thinking about something like this , but anything is good to me if it stops spawn inside my home.

Didn't think of that.Putting an item on the terrain seems more simple to me , but it's not a bad idea.

Zaba35 likes this.
  6. Knight firelorde

Knight firelorde Void-Bound Voyager

i honestly dont know where this would be put, so if its not in the correct thread, tell me and delete this.
    but i want to know, since you all are talking about spawns and stuff, what about the player? will you have a perma-spawn point where after you die you go back there?(like the space station thing i heard about) and the "terraria/minecraft" bed spawn thing.

7. Karoo

Karoo Big Damn Hero

possibly a rectangle around npc houses, a larger rectangle for a higher population, of protection from normal enemy spawns, but instead of just preventing it, when a hostile mob wants to spawn in the box, it is just moved to the nearest valid space so there will be lots of enemies around a large village, making a siege-like atmosphere

8. sekimberly52

sekimberly52 Space Hobo

We definitely need a spawn control, or a protection field when you teleport into the planets from your ship. Fighting the penguin doom army is infuriating when they kill you without you even fully taking shape on the surface.