1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Someone feel like helping me with the translation of the Aragan language?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by RexBox, Feb 2, 2014.

1. Animator

Animator Cosmic Narwhal

BECAUSE HEY I HAVEN'T GONE ON ABOUT MUSHROOM PEOPLE ENOUGH EH

I feel that the only way to understand what kind of things the Agarans are is to go through what they say. Now I've compiled all of my notes going through the entire thing, and these are the rough translations I've come up with, along with some notes about their words, expressions, and how they view each race. Be warned, what lies beyond that line is pure analysis, some of it even supported by this thread. If you want to discuss the nature of these translations, or even have some inquiry as to what some words are, lay it down in this thread.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

Nab = No
    Plesta = Pleased to
    Mesti = Meet/Me
    Halb = Help
    Cantara = Meet you
    Carpa = Make
    Fry = Like
    Weepa = Welcome
    Bizarra = Bizarre
    Deka = Decor, decoration
    Halberdeen = Ship
    Habba = Have
    Bravada = Brave, not related to any magic words

There is a form of consistency in which the Agarans address species, as follows:
    - Hairthing: Apex
    - Kissface: Floran
    - Meat/Hoom Meat: Human
    - Sillypeck/Cloudchaser: Avian
    - Clankbeast: Glitch
    - Squishfish: Hylotl

Hoom: Statement of casual conversation. Normal tone. May also indicated a hum, or literally saying 'hum', can also be excited.
    Humfah: Arrogance, disinterest.
    Halhoom: Greeting.
    Usage of extra Hal in Halhoom: Laughter, mocking tone, amusement.
    Halmarr: Unknown, may mean bewilderment or shock.

The typical Agaran weapon consists of a large broadsword used to strike at people, which could explain the usage of chop.

Some words in the Agaran language are similar to what you would know in english, most likely due to the translation error
    that appears as one of the prompts. Some are literaly translations or just plain straightforward, so it's hard to tell apart what is translation error and what is a word the Agarans use.

Apex:

- Hoom. Plesta mesti hairthing: (Hm, pleased to meet you, Apex!)
    - Humfah. Hairthing chop nab feara. (Hmph, Apex chop, no fear. This may translate to "Hmph, I'm not afraid of your attacks", due to the usage of chop after stating Apex.)
    - Hoom! Nab chop Giant Hairthing. Weepa? (No chop Apex. Weepa? Note: Weepa may mean welcome, but cannot say for sure.)
    - Halhoom, hairthing. Nab smashroom, plesta. (Hello Apex. Don't smash room, please. May refer to not smashing the things in their house.)
    - Hoom. Hairthing hairface carpa woodshroom. (Unknown. The reference of Hairthing Hairface may be a reference to Big Ape. With later lines hinting carpa to mean make, the line could be, "Big Ape made woodshroom." Their houses are wooden with mushroom accents, so it's more likely a redundant statement involving you making some houses for them, saying something like "Make some homes for us.")
    - Pleasti cantara, shroomy workest! (Please to meet you, I work hard.)
    - Hoom. Mesti nab chop hairthing. Halhoom! (I won't kill you. Welcome!)
    - Hoom! Hop chop, hairthing! Halb squishfish? (Hey you! Are you helping the Hylotls? Note: Hop chop may mean a threat or calling attention, so the line alternatively may mean: " I'll cut you if you're helping the Hylotls.")

General Anaylsis: They are mostly firendly with the Apex, but are suspicious of anything Hylotl involvement with them. Apex may have been known to raid Agaran homes for science due to the demand to not raid their homes, which may explain the infestations of labs in the wild.

Floran:

- Hoom! Hoom hoom hoom! Plant naturra kissface! (Hey look, a Floran!)
    - Halhoom! Nab feara deka plant! (Ha! I'm not afraid of a decorated plant.)
    - Hoom. Halb weepa nad smashroom. (Literal: Help weclome, no place to smash. May mean, "You're welcome here to help with our village, but don't loot us." Definition of Weepa must be ascertained.)
    - Kissface plant! Nab halb squishfish! <maniacal sound> (Floran! No help Hylotl! *evil laughter* Note: This may be in reference with the Floran/Hylotl wars; the Agarans may be aware of said war, but due to lack of involvement, simply sat back and let the Florans do the work for them, which benefits them for whatever reason they hate the Hylotls.)
    - Halhalhalhoom, carpa house fry plant! Seemingly. ("Haha, make house like planet! Seemingly.")
    - Habahoom squishfish, nab oaken smashroom cantaloupe! (Unknown, but makes reference to Hylotl. Could be a suggestion to raid a Hylotl's house.)
    - Plant hoom! Kissface chop growa, halb!? ( Plant person! Floran chop grow, help!? Florans may be intimidating to Agarans, the suggestion of a growing chop suggests that their weapons have gotten better, which means the Agarans have been around for a while.)
    - Hoom. Hoom plant. Nabi spike cutshroom, plesta? (Hey you. Don't hurt me, please?)

General Analysis: Agarans enjoy and fear Florans, primarily since they keep the Hylotl away. This is weird due to the kidnapped Florans that you'd find with Agarans in some places.

Human:

- Hoom! Meat habble person nab fry! ("Human habble person no like?" Unknown contextual translation.)
    - Hoom meat. Seemo bizarra stamper! (Unknown. Must inquire to the meaning of Seemo.)
    - Halhoom smooth! Chop deka halberdeen cartography! (Most likely refering to the space travel Humans have done, and their cartography ability. The deka implies decoration; this may mean that they're refering to the spaceship the human came from.)
    - Hoomah! Mesti hop smashroom danger! (Hey! They're going to raid us, danger!")
    - Hoom! Halhoom! (Hi! Hello!)
    - Halmarr, spike circular deka bizarra! (Whoa, that circular spike decoration is bizarre!)
    - Meat hoom! Enjoy house choka smashroom? (Hello! Raid my house and I'll kill you.)
    - Halhalhoom! Tentacrush weepa no meat. (Haha! Tentacle monster doesn't welcome you guys.)

General Analysis: They are nuetral to humans, but unsympathetic to their lack of home. They find them alien, but tolerable.

Avian:

- Hoom flap! Bizarra no Kluex fry! (Weird how Kluex can't make any flaps [with his wings]!)
    - Halhoom Sillypeck. Choka smashroom nad house. (Hello Avian. Don't smash our houses or we'll choke you.)
    - Halhalhoom, weepa cantara sweep nab cloudchaser! (Haha, glad to meet someone that's grounded!)
    - Hoomay, flap! Halberdeen habble fluffy peck. Shree! (Finally, a ship, and with an Avian, too!)
    - Haba hoom, sillyflap! <mirthful sound> swoop bizarra! (Reference to the peity of usual Avians, seems to mock it.)
    - Hoom! Hoom hoom! Chop smashroom nab peace kisser! (Hey! I'll kill you if you raid that place, we're not peaceful!)
    - Hom habba flap flap, deka nab peck? (Can't you flap? Or is that beak for decoration?)
    - Hoom? Scratchy mesti cuddle? (Wanna cuddle with me?)

General Analysis: The Avians are mostly considered a joke amongst the Agarans with their religious stances, embodied with the sillypeck naming. They mock them at whatever chance they can.

Glitch:

- Hoom, clankbeast. Habba nab cartography spaceshroom. (Hello, Glitch. We don't have cartography for our ships. Note: Spaceshroom is new, and may refer to whatever possible ships they may be working on, if at all. Their awareness of current events may imply spacial interactions in the past.)
    - Halhoom, okay. Nab chop weepa, deka hairthing? Flap? (Well, okay. No chops welcome, decorated Apex? Avian? May be inquiries to the past about the speculation of Glitch armor used in a Crystal Laboratory, which used Avian lines and Apex models underneath.)
    - Halhalhoom. Smashroom nab plant? (Haha, your house has no plants?)
    - Hurm. Hoom. Clankbeast house fry, shroomy halb. (I like your house, can I help?)
    - Clankbeast! Chop carpa, cantara. (Glitch, attacking will help you meet your end.)
    - Hoom clankbeast. Halb plesti cantara, nab? (Hello Glitch. Nice to meet you, help yourself, no?)
    - Hoom. Shroomy nab clankbeast feara. Mesti bravada! (I'm not afraid of you, I'm brave!)
    - Hoom. Clankbeast halb mesti, deka plant? (Glitch, will you help me, a decorated plant?)

General Analysis: Near identical relationship to the Florans, the Agarans are friendly to the Glitch.

Hylotl:

- Huh huh hoom? Squishfish... (Hylotl...)
    - Nab! <unintelligible gasping sounds> (No! *panic*)
    - Nab halb smashroom, squishfish! Cantara nab house, chop! (Don't help room, Hylotl! Touch my house and be sliced!)
    - Kissface plant nab cutshroom, squishfish. Threaten! (Florans won't hesitate to kill you, Hylotl. Threaten!)
    - Squeak. Hoom nab. (*squeak* No...)
    - Hoom. Mesti nab disbravada, squishfish. (I'm not brave, Hylotl...)
    - <angry muttering sounds>
    - Nab house, squishfish! Nab nab nab. "There's no room for you, Hylotl! No no no.)

General Analysis: Hatred, fear, the emotions spurned from an Agaran when seeing the Hylotl is consistently negative. It's almost as if they've done something to them.

2. The Thing

The Thing Existential Complex

Wow... just... wow, nice work. And most of it makes sense.

3. Animator

Animator Cosmic Narwhal

Thanks! Though while it makes sense, I wouldn't say they aren't the true translations. I took the context of what I had found of the words and relied on english cognates, since most seem to rely on that, and then put the sentence together as best as I could so I could establish the nature of the sentence and then deduce the context and make a translation from there. They're far from perfect, but I can only hope they're a step in the right direction.

SirKaldar likes this.
  4. Gila

Gila Big Damn Hero

Lovely.

5. Grimmturd

Grimmturd Cosmic Narwhal

While I never really thought they were "a threat" from the get-go, since they seemed more curious in their approach and dialogue, I will shed a tear for the multitudes I have killed. Just one, tho.

6. Bumber

Bumber Pangalactic Porcupine

I think you might be in need of...
    :cool:
    ...morel guidance.

YEEEAAAH!

Gilberry and Ettary like this.
  7. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

Merged two threads on the same topic, in case anyone is confused.

SirKaldar and Serenity like this.
  8. Rune the Red Panda

Rune the Red Panda Existential Complex

Yes, cuddling humans is fun! c:

9. Shaadaris

Shaadaris Giant Laser Beams

You know... I just noticed that some Agaran words sound like when someome's speaking with their nose plugged up...

10. SirKaldar

SirKaldar Star Wrangler

I wonder if the "- Halhoom, hairthing. Nab smashroom, plesta. (Hello Apex. Don't smash room, please. May refer to not smashing the things in their house.)" may be a reference to the old American Tourister adds or just a general fear of roaming adventurers who have played too much Zelda.

11. RexBox

RexBox Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Man, great job <3

dspiels likes this.
  12. fluffynet2003

fluffynet2003 Tentacle Wrangler

If ssilly meatperson try cuddle Floran, Florand stab meatperson eyes out, then make stew with eyes.
    Also, Floran think Floran offended by Shroom man. Call Floran "Kissface." Ssstab shroom hard, make die.

13. Gunslinger

Gunslinger Existential Complex

Give this man a badge!

14. dspiels

dspiels Void-Bound Voyager

So these are just rough translations. Just put together words from How they look along side the english language?

15. Kahvi

Kahvi Phantasmal Quasar

You know, it actually does sound like this when i walk into an Agaran village... scary enough.
    No Scary! Agaran happy to see Apex-Butt walk in village. I always happy to see Apex-Butt. (toothy grin)

Thanks Basil... very reassuring...
    I try. I is very trying...

16. Kahvi

Kahvi Phantasmal Quasar

I was thinking a bit, and without the auto-translator running, all communication in the universe would practically be like this.

Only difference is we got a hubba hubba zoot zoot instead of Mahna Mahna that we are working on, but pretty much its what we are trying to do. Make sense of what sounds like nonsense to understand what it may really mean, if anything.

17. Jeoshua

Jeoshua Existential Complex

I think people are overlooking something about "Hubba hubba zoot zoot". What if "zoot" is one of the words that translated correctly. Chucklefish is based in GB. I would define what "zoot" means in British slang, but to spell it out explicitly might get me banned... let me just post this instead:

Basically, all the Nurses names mean the same thing in British slang. One of them is named "Zoot"

18. Varixai

Varixai Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

New dialogue from the Agaran Merchant tenant. Note: I have not translated, simply labeled the categories as they are labeled in the code. Though I did add a few phrases from human races to give some context. For example, the category is "Hail" and the humans say "Hi! Welcome to my home!".

Hail - Hi! Welcome to my home!: "Hoom! Feesle the mushroom habito!"

Help Me! - I'm under attack!: "No shopshroom chop!"

Help! - Afraid: "Chop!"

Encourage - Get them!: "Chop no shopshroom! Chop!"

Safe - Whew, I'm safe!:
    • "Halhoom megaclinker!"
    • "Halhalhoom!"

Open Merchant Window (What can I get you?):
    • Default:
      • "Hoom! Exchanga habble pixels! Clink clink!",
      • "Hoom clinker. Habba shopshroom deka plesta?",
      • "Halhoom megaclinker. Habba chop chop workest!"
    • Floran:
      • "Halhalhoom, plant! Exchanga habble pixels! Chop clink!",
      • "Hoom, nab feara plant! Habble pixels, mesta clink clink.",
      • "Hoom. Plant clinker habba shopshroom plesta?"
    • Hylotl:
      • "Hum. Hoom. Squishfish nab feara halb clink.",
      • "Squishfish. Mesta nab tetrana chop clinker.",
      • "Hoom, squishfish. Nab smashroom habba clinker house. Okay?"
    Close Merchant Window (See you next time):
    • "Foom. Clink remore!",
    • "Fanfoom! Habba clink okay.",
    • "Foomfoom. Clink nab feara pixels!",
    • "Foom! Clink mesta plesta!"

Follow me to my store:
    • "Nay halhoom clink! Come!",
    • "Nab clink, come hoom shropshroom!"

Arrived at store, now you can shop:
    • "Halhalhoom, clinker! Exchanga habble pixels! Chop clink!",
    • "Halhoom megaclinker. Habba chop chop workest!"

Tout - Welcome. See anything you like?:
    • "Clink!",
    • "Chop workest!"

Object criteria not met (My store has changed, I'm not happy with that): "No shroom habba homshroom?"

Home no longer enclosed (My home could use some repairs!): "Nay homshroom fix!"

Player placed another Deed (I can't share my store space with someone else!): "Nay shropshroom mesta shropshroom!"

Severe warning (I can't sell my wares in these conditions!): "Nay clink! Nay plesta!"

Final warning - Leaving (I give up, I'm going to sell my wares in some other place!): "Nay foom, nuva shropshroom nay!"

Called by Beacon (I'm home!) (You called?): "Clink?"

Paying Rent (Thanks for your help with my store): "Foomfoom plesta shropshroom!"

19. Kaede Grimwater

Kaede Grimwater Existential Complex

i feel it translates to something akin to what Akado hears. here is the way i hear it.

agarian says: anything

kaede hears: please squishfish, kill me immediately.

20. Lintton

Lintton Guest

Do the agaran have an exaggeration of the same issue the floran have? (Namely, an inability to distinguish non-agaran life from objects/animals?