1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Some Small things in need of a few tweaks

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Hadies237, Dec 22, 2014.

1. Hadies237

Hadies237 Title Not Found

HI there,
    First off I just want to say that you Devs are AWESOME:DD and are doing a great job with Starbound :love:.

I've just switched over to the unstable branch so that I can get back into helping find bugs and things that need fixing.

so far I've noticed a few little things that need to be tweaked.

1.Opening chests and interfaces with "E" can no longer be closed with pressing "E" again, I don't know about others but I find I keep trying to close my interfaces by pressing "E" again to no avail. could you please bring back that function at some point please?

2. Ores need to be a little more balancing or at lease have copper a little bit more common or have it spawn closer to the surface instead of half way to the core, or have it more accessible on the starter planet? I've tried with 4 different characters to find copper and only got lucky with one that found a chest full of copper.

Those are the only things I have picked up so far once I find more I'll add them in, Does anyone else have any small tweaks you think are needed?

Tamorr, Zuvaii and Izzabelle like this.
  2. beetlebob

beetlebob Void-Bound Voyager

I would agree with 1. I have the same instinct of using 'E' to close the chest etc after clearing it out, and 'I' which I find easier to use than the 'X' in the corner of the box is to far away to be quick enough when a mod is close by, I am sure we will get used to it but I would prefer it if 'E' could be used to close again.

I would disagree with 2. You are expected to mine down to the starter planet core anyway as a way to upgrade your FTL drive on your ship as an early mission, just use this and collect copper on the way down :)

I have one to add to this, when you visit a weapon trader in a town (Only tried Avian so far) wen you select a weapon to see its stats, then click another to check, when you click the original again it is a completely different weapon that the stats are shown for than what is listed in the Traders inventory, do it again and another different weapon stats show, if you buy it you get another different weapon. Very random, so much so that on the first planet I visited I was looking to buy a hammer and it had DPS in the 90's but when I bought it I actually got a 2 handed Axe with DPS in the late 200's !!!!!

3. Hadies237

Ahh that is true.

Thanks for the heads up about that bug with the trader. :up:

4. Starbug

Starbug Guest

Agreed with No.1 ... Isn't this how it used to work. Pressing "return" (coz I don't use standard bindings) opens the chest window again, even though it's already opened.

5. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

#1 would be nice... Don't remember if was or was not originally; have not played in a while.

The only button I find working at the moment to close chests and the like is the i key, that is for inventory. Works only on containers.

6. barnowl

barnowl Orbital Explorer

I think #2 is more of a problem with the cave generation. currently there are very few caves that start at the surface, and the caves that do exist are small little pockets. With the caves the way they are, you need to dig into a pocket of ore by luck, instead of running down a long cave and spotting a clump. I believe one of the devs is working on making cave-gen much better, which should solve this problem

7. Flash Gordon

Flash Gordon Poptop Tamer

The second boss fight i think needs to be tweaked.

The Mec suit penguin boss, you fight in an enclosed space, i like the challenge, but his damage output was really ridiculous, i kept dying. But i found a way to cheese him, if you stand in the doorway, you can open the door, take a few shots at him, and then close it again, and just keep doing this until he is defeated, i think this needs a tweak

I apologize if my english is bad, it is not my native language

MysticMalevolence likes this.
  8. MysticMalevolence

MysticMalevolence Oxygen Tank

I think S.A.I.L. should clarify what types of planets have what ores. As is, tons of people are asking where uranium, plutonium, and oil are located.

bluecollarart likes this.
  9. Outm0de

Outm0de Space Hobo

Hiyaz, just a small bug I have found is that when in a multi-player game when one blocks with a 2H melee weapon it shows as an attack on the other players screen.

10. Supersonicsid

Supersonicsid Subatomic Cosmonaut

Hes really easy if you fight him like you would a boss in a platformer dodge his attacks then hit him once or twice and repeat slow but its really simple.Although he does lots of dmg they are easy dodges.

bluecollarart and Flash Gordon like this.
  11. Wyvern

Wyvern Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Well, I'd say everything is easy to dodge, save the missiles. Those things have insane turning radius. Even if you dodge right before they'd hit the wall, they still sometimes do a 180 and snag you.

12. Supersonicsid

Supersonicsid Subatomic Cosmonaut

You can blow them up mid air if you shoot um enough.

13. Dust

Dust Giant Laser Beams

what happened to experimentation.. ? And the joy of discovering things for oneself.... ? Ah well. they're only spoiling things for themselves.

14. MysticMalevolence

MysticMalevolence Oxygen Tank

I guess they just don't want to have to tunnel to the core of a planet to find out.

15. barnowl

barnowl Orbital Explorer

I think the problem with a lot of the combat with Starbound is that they scale both the health and the damage of the enemies equally. If a player does not have appropriate armour or isn't good at dodging, the battle is just really difficult.

Instead, I think that health should be scaled more so, and damage only lightly scaled. That would make the fight harder, while still making it possible for players that are bad at dodging.

Hadies237 likes this.
  16. Wyvern

Wyvern Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Hate to be a downer, but if you don't have good gear and you're bad at the game, you shouldn't be able to beat the boss.

That's the whole point of a boss fight. It's a test of mastery barring progression. If you're not good enough to pass the test, you don't progress.

Hadies237 likes this.
  17. hijinks

hijinks Subatomic Cosmonaut

Does anyone else think that the monsters on the starter system does a bit too much damage? I've got the first set of armor craftable, and the monsters take more than half my hp. o_O 'Harmless' my behind....

18. bluecollarart

bluecollarart Big Damn Hero

Normally I'd agree with you, but that's not the function they seem to serve in Starbound. Bosses are only useful as a mastery test if what follows is more difficult than what came before. If the later levels in a game are harder, for instance, a game can give you a "test" in the form of a boss, to make sure you can handle the more difficult battles to follow.

But Starbound's randomly generated enemies & levels don't really change or get more difficult as you progress through the game. Not that I've noticed, at least. There would be no point to lock later levels behind a mastery test, when no higher level of mastery is required to play those levels.

The actual function of Starbound's bosses, at least right now, is just to serve as elaborate, more interesting enemy encounters. If that's the case, then barnowl is right, and it makes sense to give options to let less skilled players enjoy & defeat the boss battles as well.

MysticMalevolence likes this.
  19. Hadies237

They do seem to be a little too strong, especially for people who are new to starbound and don't know how to fight properly and how ones own attacks work.

I think what barnowl said about health scaling would probably help quite a bit at least in the beginning.

what I said earlier about the ores was incorrect after doing quite a bit of digging I found all the materials I needed, but I think that the Cave Gen still needs a little bit more work. I found that there weren't any medium sized caves or tunnels either they were huge or they were really really small and one of the large ones Outmode found in a mountain was showing the space background when he got to ground level instead of a dirt type background, It had a slight transition glitch when jumping similar to the ones I saw on the thread about the ocean planet.

http://community.playstarbound.com/...e-shxt-out-of-deep-phobia-people.87441/unread

and one final bug I've noticed is that sometimes when you craft an object It doesn't always craft properly. the items aren't used up in your inventory but goes through all the animation and sound effects in the crafting interface. Any one else had this problem before?