1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

So why do the floran hate the Hylotl?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Neonir, Jan 5, 2014.

1. Sirsir94

Sirsir94 Orbital Explorer

don't forget this one!
    http://starbounder.org/A_note_written_in_Apex_language_4
    Apparently they are also sneaky! but I still save them from the Agarans

Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
    Banerg likes this.
  2. Banerg

Banerg Void-Bound Voyager

Hylotl villages and other things haven't been added to the game yet, some stuff is in the code but it just hasn't been implemented.

3. Sirsir94

Thought so. But still I am looking forward to it. That and the Novakid, if they don't have an overblown Texas accent I will be very upset...

4. Banerg

Yes although I think that "bond" might have been in the apex's head, lol

On the subject of Floran relationships I wonder why the Agarans don't like them, I've never seen any other race imprisoned by them and you would think that plants and mushrooms would get along, wouldn't you?

5. Zuvaii

Zuvaii Heliosphere

One thing you need to know is that the Hylotl are likely peace-loving towards those they see as cultured. Even the first entry states you hope to find some culture after running out of fuel since the last 402 didn't have any. Examine a Glitch spawner and they say it would be nice to have some menial labor. Even the Human is all excited over a robot butler, but they won't see a Glitch as menial labor. The Florans on the other hand? They see a Glitch spawner and get all excited and happy at summoning metal friends. If the Hylotl were pacifists, then they wouldn't have need of weapons like Stemcutter and whatnot. They are based off of Feudal Japan, which was not a very pleasant place to be aside from enjoying the culture. It was just as bad as any other place, but they did put on airs of superiority and culture.

Sh4dowWalker96 likes this.
  6. Sirsir94

Maybe they are jealous? Florans are a relatively attractive species. ...That isn't setting the bar very high... But maybe its because the Florans are plants where the rest of the races aren't, so it makes the agarans angry

7. Banerg

The Hylotl are peaceful to everyone, some may think they're better than other races and be very arrogant but that doesn't mean they'll go to war with them.

They have weapons because it would be a bit of a rubbish game if you had to run away from everything if you were a Hylotl and in lore they have weapons but there are used only for defence.

They are based off feudal Japan, like there religion (if you can call it that), but that doesn't mean they are exactly like it, for example prisoners are treated very very badly culturally in Japan but if you examine some stuff in a U.S.C.M penal colony as a Hylotl you can see that Hylotl treat there prisoners with respect.

8. Banerg

Or maybe The Florans tried to put them on pizza!

9. Sirsir94

I would think that would be why they would hate humans...

10. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

Sometimes you meet those random cart only merhcants. and they can by random also be hylotl.

11. Bine

Bine Scruffy Nerf-Herder

We are not aggressive towards the other species! We merely state the truth. I still have no idea why everyone gets so flustered over the fact that our culture is far more magnificent than the next species. We do our best to avoid fighting and war. It's far better than the alternatives, after all.

Sometime you should stop by one of our villages. Drink in our culture and sample our foods! No animals were ever even harmed in the making of our delectable dishes and our homes are simply exquisite. I'm sure more than just a few of us would love to give you a tour of one of our glorious cities. :)

Villhelm and Banerg like this.
  12. Banerg

I agree, it's not arrogant if it's true! lol

13. lordofpowies

lordofpowies Subatomic Cosmonaut

I started as a hylotl, and having zero experience with the lore, I was shocked when I later found out that they're actually supposed to be self-aggrandizing, disdainful, condescending pricks. Honestly I just saw the three eyes and thought they looked cute!

Skarn, yclatious and GLARE like this.
  14. Rune the Red Panda

Rune the Red Panda Existential Complex

I agree, I wish they didn't make the Hylotl into jerks, they were sort of the opposite as it sounded. :/

15. Model QT-377665

Model QT-377665 Ketchup Robot

Fisssh Men think they're ssso sssuperior, Floran ssshow them, Floran ssshow you all!

I imagine it was something along the lines of that.

yclatious likes this.
  16. Bine

Bine Scruffy Nerf-Herder

We are not jerks! We very much enjoy the other species and their little cultures. We just have a more refined taste and prefer much of our own. Though do come by! I don't mind making extra for dinner if I have a guest. :)

Model QT-377665 likes this.
  17. Kahvi

Kahvi Phantasmal Quasar

Well, Hyotl taste pretty good on rice. or in a half okay stew... or.. um... a lil help here Basil.

Floran love Hyotl. If stab-stab on stick over fire... or stab stab on grill. Try soaked, stab-stabbity, then place on rice.
    Other races maybe hate fishy-fish. Love fish. Good source of Pro-teee-in.

18. Bine

Bine Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Sometimes I wish we weren't great at so many things. This is one of them.

19. Lintton

Lintton Guest

Floran are already a expansionist, "savage" species, ones less interested in diplomacy and aesthetics and more about "to hunt and spread". Maybe they just see hylotl as everything that shouldn't be Floran?

20. Bumber

Bumber Pangalactic Porcupine

Alas, truly you are cursed with such good taste.

Villhelm likes this.