1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

So, I dropped a $1000, and here's my concept:

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Cassavyr, Apr 15, 2013.

1. Cassavyr

Cassavyr Pangalactic Porcupine

After a lot of twists and turns in the evolution of our project, we felt the need to lay down exactly where we are at this point in the design.

Let us look at what has been decided thus far:
    -The weapon will be functional and competent in late game or high level zones
    -The weapon will shoot a hyper-beam style giant "laser"
    -The weapon fire will be "rainbow"
    -The weapon itself will possess properties of "the balance of light and dark"
    -The weapon will NOT have musical aspects
    -The weapon fire will NOT change people into creatures
    -The weapon is NOT a joke weapon

Keeping these aspects in mind, it seems the appropriate approach would be to take the "lost technologies", or "mysterious alien technologies" path.

Here's something Astroblast cooked up for us;
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Feel free to give feedback, but please keep it constructive.

(Don't Judge)
    longinus.png
    I'm referring to the rainbow obsidian element, as far as "It could be here."

We've been thinking of replacing the yin yang conceptually with rainbow obsidian as a science fiction-y catalyst for the weapon, thereby explaining the rainbow phenomena.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

DESIGN #1: The Team AHSUM! Ultra Fantastic Rainbow-Blaster X9000 Excellent Edition+
    The Team AHSUM! Ultra Fantastic Rainbow- Blaster X9000 Excellent Edition+.png (zooming in helps, use paint or something)

Well, really its my friends concept. See, I have a group of friends we refer to as Team AHSUM! that have stuck around each other for about a decade now, and this is (as far as we are concerned) in all likelihood going to be one of the most important games of our generation, hands down. So instead of dropping $2000 on a statue of me, I wanted to be inclusive and put our group legacy in the game. I asked one of my friends and he put together a little concept art for it.

We tentatively call it: The Team AHSUM! Ultra Fantastic Rainbow-Blaster X9000 Excellent Edition+
    It takes the forces of light and darkness and fuses them into Ultra Fantastic Rainbow power. Nuff said.

Ideally the concept will be animated, but I'm not sure if animated weapon sprites will be a feature in the game, at least not for a while.

Anyways, just had to tell the world about this. This is just a starting concept, not a finished product, but here it is anyways.

EDIT: IT IS NOT MEANT TO BE, AND DOES NOT DRAW INSPIRATION FROM, THE RAINBLOWER FROM TEAM FORTRESS 2.
    It's not that I hate that weapon, we simply had never heard of it, since my friend and I don't play TF2.

The reason I make this distinction is

1) We are considering new base aesthetics for the weapon

2) The weapon functions nothing at all like the rainblower, or any flamethrower class weapon or that matter. It is a giant beam cannon.

DESIGN #2: THE ENERGY BALL
    rainbow ball resized2.gif
    This is some excellent concept art very kindly and skillfully created by FreshSheet on the art request forums. This design in no way shifts the functionality of the weapon, merely the aesthetic of it.

The final product will hopefully have a much larger beam, but I'm not quite sure how a giant, straight beam of light can erupt from such a small point of origin.

Here's a second go from Astroblast, and again many thanks to him for contributing to the concept.
    [​IMG]
    Tell us what you think!

muxaun, TelKah, Manry and 40 others like this.
  2. CookieEpic

CookieEpic Pangalactic Porcupine

[​IMG]

It's JUST like the rainblower from TF2!

...This is a good thing. ;)

EDIT: I wasn't being critical, just in case anyone thought that. o_O

3. Questing

Questing Starship Captain

This is mind blowingly unoriginal and cliche. Hey, your money, your weapon, so whatever floats your boat.

4. Cassavyr

Ahh nice I see he had some inspiration. Nothing wrong with that.

5. Nate the Great

Nate the Great Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Sure, a rainbow's nice. I've always wanted to fire multicoloured spectra of light which may or may not actually harm anything. Of course, development takes time, and this may need some.

Saint and CookieEpic like this.
  6. CookieEpic

"Inspiration is the key to making good stuff"
    -CookieEpic, 2013

7. Cassavyr

Hey, its not supposed to be completely original. Just representative. In cases such as these, being unoriginal is OK.

Saint likes this.
  8. Ken_Chihuly

Ken_Chihuly Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Haha, well you better pick it up then! Im sorry

Anyways, that looks very awesome.
    Hope they make something like it in the game!

Aloron, Serenity, Naupz and 5 others like this.
  9. Questing

Those are some questionable ideals, but like I said, your money your gun. I am just saying that if you want to have your group immortalized, why not make the thing that is immortalizing you cool and original? Instead of just A GUN THAT PUKES RAINBOWS which has been in pretty much every game since the beginning of time.

10. Cassavyr

Maybe so. On the one hand, they may very damn well already have a gun that pukes rainbows planned, or very likely will in the future. On the other hand, its our gun that pukes rainbows. I'm considering what you're saying, I guess is what I'm trying to put across.

11. Radicool

Radicool Void-Bound Voyager

It's just don't you really want to make something more unique, since it cost, oh i dunno, 1000 AMERICAN US DOLLARS

Saint, Xiss and WoxandWarf like this.
  12. CookieEpic

*Except alot of games

Look, i don't know what the definition of /original/ is these days, but i'm pretty sure a tuba gun that pukes rainbows shows SOME spark of creativity. If that's what you're after, anyway. Just how they said it in the old times!**

**they never really said that in the old times

Saint and WoxandWarf like this.
  13. druid

druid Scruffy Nerf-Herder

well, if the game doesn't already have a "beam" type of gun:eek:, then this would be a good time to add one.

Saint, CookieEpic and WoxandWarf like this.
  14. kanopus

kanopus Star Wrangler

Questing, you're starting to reek of some serious envy.

15. Questing

Oh I am picking up what you are putting down, brother, but I am just making sure you are sure where you are so readily shoving your money, hahaha.

And your lack of literary depth is starting to be pretty pungent, so we are on the same level :)

16. CookieEpic

Ladies, Gents, can we please calm down a bit here? This is quickly turning into a flame war, and noone wants that...Right? Right guys? :cry:

17. W-will it play a song while you hold down the trigger? *_*

18. Awesomized

Awesomized Oxygen Tank

*Steals $1000 that you dropped and runs away*

19. Questing

I'm not worried. Inb4 lock.

Saint likes this.