Sneaking or Fighting

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by Ethric, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Ethric

Ethric Phantasmal Quasar

This would be interesting. Say, there's a destroyed ship and hostile natives are guarding it because it owns rare weapon they plan to sell. You can either run in guns-a-blazin' or sneak your way in. You would able to hide behind boxes, cabinets, or go in closets and wait out patrolling mobs. But in the end, the loot is the same, but you should get XP depending on how well you did what you did (did you sneak past all the guards when sneaking or did you make sure they couldn't call back-up when killing them all?).

Niels2012 and EnergyProExtreme like this.
  2. nomotog

nomotog Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Stealth is always good.

Ricky150 and The Corrupted [ITA] like this.
  3. Bearman

Bearman Aquatic Astronaut

Stealth in 2D is a bit of an issue. There was an older sidescrolling game called Blackthorne where the player and enemies could "take cover" by hiding in the background, then coming into the foreground to fire. Here's an example of it: Blackthorne (not my video).

Only thing with that is you would have to have a background element to hide in. Thought it was interesting at least.

Ricky150 likes this.
  4. Zeldo

Zeldo Big Damn Hero

I remember that one part in Metroid Fusion where you only had the zero suit and had to hide from the space pirates. You set off an alarm or someone sees you, and you run and find a part in the ceiling you can jump into to hide from them. Terrible at explaining, so hopefully my point gets across. It could work like that, possibly.

5. Jermex

Jermex The Stampede Forum Moderator

While I love an aspect of stealth in my game.
    I don't think you should get any inherent reward for being stealthy.

you would only want to stealth if you couldn't win the fire-fight anyway

6. KuroHinotori

KuroHinotori Spaceman Spiff

I know this post is old but sneaking has been announced

7. dra6o0n

dra6o0n Big Damn Hero

Stealth would be great because in Terraria all your enemies home in on you non-stop and that got REALLY annoying when travelling.

As for fighting, maybe improve the animations in that you can do different slashes with melee weapons based on the directional orientation?

This will bring out the attack styles as you aren't swinging your arms like in Terraria and the attack isn't with fixed stances. And this will make it harder to figure out the opponent's swing.

Sword:
    ↑ + A = overhead slash to swipe at enemies above you.
    ↓ + A = horizontal slash to swipe at enemies below you (midair) or a wide horizontal slash to attack enemies close to you (crouching)
    →→ + A = a rapid thrusting motion with decent reach, and knocks back foes.

This way you can apply various attack effects without needing to create like 10 weapon types and you are able to expand each weapon type with their own swings or thrusts.

As with each attack styles, comes attack combos, so you can do things like:

→ + A A A = You do a single thrust that doesn't knock back, but afterwards does a flurry of thrusts that hits multiple times with a launching knock back at the end!

Basically slashing from 2d action games like the megaman franchise is interesting:

The Corrupted [ITA] likes this.
  8. Red Death

Red Death Void-Bound Voyager

Stealth eh? well Sci fi shows often have the patented Cloaking Device at their disposal...:sneaky:

Turn that baby on and for a short time you can waltz right past enemies with no one being the wiser... of course it probably would drain battery power quite quickly.

The Player would have to juggle not being seen with the steady drain of battery power.

Precious seconds that make the difference between sneaking past that horde of enemies :ninja: style and
    appearing right smack dab in the middle of them... with a slightly embarrassed look on your face.:oops:

The Corrupted [ITA] likes this.
  9. Imnotdavis

Imnotdavis Big Damn Hero

Even though that sounds like a great idea for this game, most people would just use it to charge past enemies they don't feel like one-hitting at the time because this sounds like it would be a later game item that you won't expect.

10. Sambojin

Sambojin Orbital Explorer

It would be do-able in 2d, just how? Stealth field? Jump into background? Distract? Do enemies even have a field-of-view in this game, even forward/back?

As an item, you could give stealth to a character in many ways. High length of effect, low, high resource cost, standard, even make it very variable. Can different race/enemy types see through different types of stealth. I'd like to think of some enemies seeing directly through visual stealth with their IR/microwave/metal vision, etc. Humanoids/intelligents could just tell each other when your stealth is broken, animals couldn't, so packs could be differentiated easily. About four types of stealth, some 100% effective with a high resource/energy/recharge cost, some with low energy cost/recharge but not totally effective. Different types/percentages/resource costs and also have some stealth be anti-stealth to some sorts of vision would work nicely. If you could stealth a monkey, but only be 50% effective stealth to a robot, but seen by a killer bee even more easily, I'd think that the stealth system works. What Stealth/50% Stealth/Less than normal Stealth means though is a pretty hard mechanic to make.

Distance based? Percentage based on a time ticker? Just a yes/no thingo? A "didn't know who shot it, but knew someone did" thing? Chance of dodge-behind-tree? Movement based, slower is better over time? Sound of weapons? Bugger, I just made a rhetorical question thread.

Stealth. There's no reason to not include stealth, lures, traps/lures, enemy-on-enemy-creators or anything else. It's just hard to do right. Even if it costs a heap to use.

11. Vapor Horologium Corpus

Vapor Horologium Corpus Weight of the Sky

i would like sneaking but i don't think that could be possible the way this game is since there is only two ways of looking unlike in games like deus ex now if there were things to hide behind or if you could go into the background or something like that then maybe

12. dra6o0n

dra6o0n Big Damn Hero

You don't know how retro and classic games utilize stealth then...
    Look at Blackthorne for the Super Nintendo.

In any case, you are thinking too deep.

13. Ephexis

Ephexis Cosmic Narwhal

just a suggestion, but for stealth: a player could have a certain gadget that shows enemy's line of sight in a certain proximity of the player

to get past the enemys, the player would have to obviously stay out of their line of sight: either by ducking/crouching behind something like a box

or even jump up onto a platform where the enemy can't see or perhaps block his sight of you by placing blocks so when he/she turns around that enemy won't see past the blocks and you can go over or under the enemy: or if we're lucky we could use a tranq gun ;p

either way i don't see this game being very stealthy all the time or too often, but i would like to avoid and sneak my way past something if possible cause i like that choice in games

14. dra6o0n

dra6o0n Big Damn Hero

With the way combat is set up, it's taking sort of a RPG stance in that enemies don't hurt you when they walk into you, so in that case, the AI is going to be a lot more smarter and they'll have personalities in how they engage you...

Some will flee when they spot you, some will become hostile.

Heck this will bring in hunting mechanics for you to gather materials from wild animals too.

It's not stealth for protection or sneaking, it's stealth for hunting and ambushing as well.

Enemies can give you various ways to detect you, but in most cases their detection is somewhat limited to those areas.

If you are crouching, they can't spot you from a longer distance, and if you do get spotted for a split second, they shouldn't immediately take notice but may become suspicious and check out the area.

As such they should make use of the "!" and "?" and "..." thought bubbles when something happens.
    A sound fx that makes a 'ting' sound whenever a thought bubble occurs would be a good indicator you've been taken noticed or the npc has taken noticed nearby.

Setting off bombs and making noises should do the same too...

Heck, toss a rock at a area under you and watch as they go investigate it, then toss a bomb on them and watch them go "$#@?!" and be in shock. Some smarter mobs will dive for cover if you tried that move on them.

Red Death likes this.
  15. StarJoe

StarJoe Void-Bound Voyager

Stealth has already been included in the list of announced features:
    They've stated that they're trying to make the game more 'role based', so you can gear up to be a healer, fighter, assassin, sniper, etc. It'll be different from terraria because you'll have a role, whereas terraria you were all essentially either ranged or close DPS. They also say that certain equipment that you throw out will increase damage (amongst other things) if you fire through it.

Also, 2D stealth games are pretty fun. This game "Wink" was released on Newgrounds a long time ago, it's pretty simple:

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/269009

16. dra6o0n

dra6o0n Big Damn Hero

Toss a satchel charge and shoot at it.

Basically this game will be more of a RPG, and less of a Action RPG, no more flying around hacking everything with a muramasa.

StarJoe likes this.
  17. StarJoe

StarJoe Void-Bound Voyager

I'm trying to think of some cool 'sneak' abilities too:
    • Your character becomes more transparent as they equip better sneak items.
    • Special 'sneak attacks', like backstabbing.
    • Traps. All awesome ninjas lay traps. You could snare your enemies towards you with a freeze trap whilst your team mates fire from a distance.
    • Wearing a ninja armour set increases your sneak speed. It also gives you an awesome ninja emoticon where you can throw your weapons into the air and catch them.
    • Hand-to-hand could do more damage if you wear certain armour.
    Yeah, Tiy said a few times he wants people to have roles. I think it's an awesome idea, it'll make people play as a team. One thing I disliked about terraria is that everyone could go off and do their own thing and keep everything they loot. Roles force you to stick together and share the items that you need.

18. Ephexis

Ephexis Cosmic Narwhal

has someone been playing some metalgearsolid? :up:

i agree about alot've the ideas you suggested

although i don't think just any mob will go investigate a noise somewhere like they are patrolling(unless they are) but rather some certain types of mobs will watch over some ruins perhaps and they will be on alert more so then any regular mob type

19. Coffeeman

Coffeeman Subatomic Cosmonaut

A-la Stealth Bastard?

20. Dude, necropost.

Ephexis likes this.