Sizes of Planets

Discussion in 'Starbound FAQs, Q&A, and General Help' started by XtremeNinja45, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Fauznaut

Fauznaut Big Damn Hero

Could've been a dream... Or a dream within a dream. Dun dun dun.

2. MEWMEW

MEWMEW Existential Complex

Are you sure you were asking the Devs?

3. Stickman1

Stickman1 Phantasmal Quasar

Yes, the awnser was the planets and the universe will be infinite, our engine can handle that.
    Tiy said that in IRC.
    So when planets would be infinite there would be no looping, after logic?

4. Dust

Dust Giant Laser Beams

Are you sure Tiy said they will be infinite, or just that they can be infinite. Because I was under the impression there would be varying sizes, and infinite was a possible size, but most would be finite, and would loop in the way that if you keep going in one direction you eventually come back to where you started.

Would like a Dev to clear this up please.

5. MEWMEW

What he meant, was that there is an infinite amount of planets to explore, not that whole planets are infinite.

Dust likes this.
  6. Stickman1

Ok we just leave that as unknown for first.

7. MEWMEW

"Worlds that are not infinite in size will loop around, so if you travel far enough you will end up back at your start area, as if the planet is a real sphere." Quoted from List of announced game information thread, so I guess SOME worlds will be infinite.

8. enemarius86

enemarius86 Cosmic Narwhal

Tiy said that the surface of planets could be infinite (the engine can handle it), but he doesn't want to implement this beacuse that would make players to loose their interest in going to other planets.
    He stated this in january, on twitter.

9. Evangelion

Evangelion Supernova

Just don't make it too small... NASA might not think it to be a TRUE planet.

"Dear NASA, your mom thought I was big enough."
    ~Pluto.

Sgt. Sprocket, MagicBaker and Dust like this.
  10. Dust

Dust Giant Laser Beams

The more I think about it the less I want infinite size planets. There'll be near enough infinite worlds to explore anyway, so each planet having a finite size makes more sense. And Screw what NASA thinks :) Pluto is still a planet in my book.

11. Stickman1

So I had a bad dream in a dream ... finite worlds make more sense , asked bertwe today again ^^ PS: Got new dunngeon informations :3 They are smaller as Terraria ones

Vladimir 3.22 likes this.
  12. Vladimir 3.22

Vladimir 3.22 Zero Gravity Genie

yea flaming wheels of death.

Stickman1 likes this.
  13. Dinosocks

Dinosocks Pangalactic Porcupine

Dawwww, i was gonna dig down until i got to the otherside and the Gravity Changed <see what i did there?

14. Vladimir 3.22

Vladimir 3.22 Zero Gravity Genie

well you would get stuck in the core and then you would starve to death.

15. Dinosocks

Dinosocks Pangalactic Porcupine

Technology my friend, anything is possible.

16. Stickman1

the
    Thats best thing that could happen.

Dinosocks likes this.
  17. MEWMEW

or, you know, get vaporized in the molten lava :rolleyes:

18. Stickman1

I feel like you 3 are stalking me xD

19. MEWMEW

Haha...yes...:lolwut:

natelovesyou and Stickman1 like this.
  20. natelovesyou

natelovesyou Oxygen Tank

Like what was mentioned, smaller worlds will wrap around, so there won't be "ends" to a world like there was in Terraria (where your character can go no further to the right or left sides). I'm excited about that. I also kinda understood that maybe only higher tier planets would be infinite so that the player wouldn't just stick around in their first infinite world...to promote exploring other worlds. I think the prospect of infinite worlds is great, but I'm more interested in the rather small ones.

enemarius86 and MEWMEW like this.