1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Should starbounds world be more "Racist"?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by warcore, Aug 29, 2014.

1. Lazogna

Lazogna Contact!

Sorry, if there were adult themes in terraria then I'm too old to have noticed them. I loved the game but it was much more on the cartoony side than starbound seemed to be aiming for at inception.

Starbug likes this.
  2. Skarn

Skarn Existential Complex

YMMV I guess. But I distinctly remember someone in the thread mentioning it looked like a Xenomorph... >_>
    If there are others I can't think of any. ESRB lists those + violence and blood, that's about it.

3. Cipherstar

Cipherstar Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Tsk tsk, don't get your panties in a twist. *cough* That's supposed to be a pun...

If you zoom in, the shadow looks like it could belong to this thing:

[​IMG]

Lazogna likes this.
  4. Lazogna

Lazogna Contact!

I remember thinking as a child; if it's sneezing eggs at me then that can't be a nose or a mouth, it must be a...ugh.
    I'm going to go call my therapist, I think I just made a breakthrough.

Skarn and LethalShade like this.
  5. liradarc

liradarc Subatomic Cosmonaut

I am wary of any argument starting with "Well like the real world, ..." when we are discussing the hypothetical behavior of sentient carnivorous plants, haughty Japanese fish-people, and cowboy gasbags.

And I'm sure that's a pretty extreme statement. But like a lot of extreme statements dissected to further an argument, that's not actually what was said by the person you're quoting.

For the most part, I'm amused by people who insist that serious settings and serious games must have serious themes like racism. There are already suspicious, demeaning statements tossed around by NPCs. And the storyline already features genocide, tyranny, and the deliciousness of self-aware beings. But no, not enough grit.

Better go watch Mad Max re-runs.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2014
    Auraknight and M_Sipher like this.
  6. Starbug

Starbug Guest

"If uniformly giving them all a provincial human bigotry makes the universe seem more "real" for you, go for it"

Oh, you didn't mean giving them ALL a provincial human bigotry "Like the real world". Why bring up the real world and earthbound bigotry or tribalism at all?

For added emotional resonance, I would recommend playing Albinoni's Adagio in G Minor in the background, to provide an obbligato to the screams of the widows and orphans you are creating in a fish-people village. Just don't call me "Bird Brain", coz that's racist!

It's only lore in a game, so maybe we should all stop making real world analogue arguments? I will if you will :)

7. dspiels

dspiels Void-Bound Voyager

Well Floran ssssays that we ssstab all the Apex. *Licks lips* And Hylotlsssss. Floran dissslike them...

8. Nutric

Nutric Pangalactic Porcupine

I think the Hylotl are acting pretty racist to others. They hate Florans, that's for sure.

Humans don't really like other races either.

9. Lloyd Larsen

Lloyd Larsen Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I agree with the precedent post, but as an Hylotl player I also think that most of other race are racist too when they speak to Hylotls. Everytime I encounter other race, I feel... strange, in the better situation. :p

10. FloomRide

FloomRide Cosmic Narwhal

Racial slurs?

Hyloser

I got nothing

If you want to be racially discriminated, play as a Hylotl. Or you can spawn Hylotl in to talk to. They're pretty racist, and everyone's racist to them.

11. Subaru7

Subaru7 Void-Bound Voyager

Hmm is less racism than specie-ism, which completely logical, you treat a cockroach different than a dog. One is all... aww isnt it cute and the other is DIE DIE DIE! OMG is there more around here i need to kill? But yes I keep expecting more of varied reactions when i go into one of my species settlements as opposed to another.

Montychuck and Starbug like this.
  12. Ixmore

Ixmore Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Speciesm is racism; racism is the belief that the belief that one race is Superior to another not the hatred of another race (an example would be that we are superior to cats, dogs, dolphins, ect.). What people seem to define as racism is more of an ethniphobia.