1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Should starbounds world be more "Racist"?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by warcore, Aug 29, 2014.

1. Bagel

Bagel Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Every time I walk through a Glitch village, my human is constantly berated with "STAY AWAY, I'M INFECTED WITH (insert made up disease that cannot possibly transfer from a machine to an organic here,)" or "EW FLESHY/PUNY HUMAN." Granted that's about all the racism I get, well besides the Florans who constantly think they are better apex (actual term, not race) predators than humans and that we are tasty.

2. cooltv27

cooltv27 Heliosphere

in games some things we immitate because its fun/challenging (hunger), others we ignore because its annoying to deal with/program (physics)
    as for racism, all npcs of each race have text towards each race, some of the text is "racist" others of the text is "I LOVE YOU" but its possible to get both from the same npc. what I would like is for each npc to have a "racism" level toward each race (lets say 1-5) and the more racist they are the meaner things they say. say a glitch with a racism level of 1 would be "Friendly. Nice to meet you!" while an avian with a 5 would be something like "I feel sorry your primitive race never knew about Kluex" so the world seems slightly more alive without affecting gameplay (though it would be a lot of work to add with all the new text)

Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
    Starbug likes this.
  3. Tymon

Tymon Cosmic Narwhal

Not to be mean but... if people find being treated like crap to be a fun thing to imitate? That seems kind of... off to me. I grew up dealing with bullies in highschool, and my mum dealt with racism during HER growing up. It isn't fun in the real world, how the hell could it be fun in a game too?

DrakeWymulf and TrueEdge like this.
  4. cooltv27

cooltv27 Heliosphere

the realism part was about the floating structures part, sorry for confusion
    and I dont mean full on bullying "your novakid, therefore I hate you and want you to suffer" just a comment that seems a little off to the reviver but not to the one saying it "I love the way avian legs taste" would be a floran to avian, or glitch to human "Interested. I wonder if its possible to upgrade human processing power"
    but I agree that being bullied is not fun, IRL or games (unless thats the mechanics/story of the game)

looking through my post I said pitiful when I meant to say primitive, no idea where pitiful came from... oh well

5. Learner

Learner Subatomic Cosmonaut

In my opinion, here's what I'd see. Humans it seem, are the new race in the galaxy. I can't help but feel like everyone else knows about the other races, excluding the humans (except the Apex, who already knew about the humans?), who are new to them. (I might be WAY WAY off on this one. It's possible that human space travel was a thing long before Earth was destroyed. But how should I know anyhow? All of Earth's history books are still there.) So, while all of the other races would have insults for each other, they'd just be suspicious of humans.

I'd like it if town behavior varied between the towns (also if shopkeepers charged differently for race, or even on general attitude on you). So while as a human, the Avians will welcome you to Desert Omega 23X! They've been visited by many humans before. Their town is borrowing traits of human structures. So meeting a new human is like seeing a new tourist.

The Avians on Urist Mc Dune 64 however, are a little more religious, more grounded in the old ways, and do not like outsiders that might change the current system... Why? Who knows... Maybe the religious leaders for these Avians have told their followers that Kluex frowns upon the humans. Heck, maybe these Avians are afraid of being seen associating with humans out of fear of committing sacrilege, and being put up as the next sacrifice for their god! The fact is however, if we increase the range of NPC behavior, and dialogue, there could be so much potential head canon backstory. (So a human walks into a Floran town... And all of the Floranssss are curioussss about thissss new meat. Maybe they're saying stuff as you walk away. Maybe... they're following you. I'll be quite honest, I'd be a little creeped out if a bunch of Florans started following me.)

Anyways, would I care if Urist Mc Dune Avians charged me more, or even downright detested me? Of course not! It's not like it's unfair to humans, because behavior like this would exist all over the place. It's comparable to living on a planet with acid and meteor showers. You don't HAVE to stay there.

There's an entire universe out there with their own Avians who have their own opinions on humans. Someone's going to like me out there. And honestly, if we did add this deep system of NPC relationships, here's something that can be considered... some Avians might not have seen humans before. They don't know what to make of you! But maybe after you've been there for a few weeks/months, they'll warm up to you. (Or grow tired of your aloof nature.)

I'll even be fine with the occasional Floran town that refused entry for Hylotl, and vice-versa, since they've got such a strong history with each other that I wouldn't find it hard to believe. Other towns might have someone who's disliking of a particular race extended so far as to perhaps throw a rock at you. Maybe they think you're their savior too. This stuff can be tied so well with quests as well, that it's so unbelievably perfect. Behavior like this really could help give NPC's a personality, which is not always an easy thing to do.

Plus, wouldn't this kind of NPC behavior change encourage the player to explore even more? There's just so much potential.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
  6. liradarc

liradarc Subatomic Cosmonaut

Welcome to gritty pulp fiction, where things don't feel "real" unless they incorporate all the ugly facets of modern life. It's less art imitating life than it is art imitating what insular gamers feel life should be like.

Anyhow, we've got a half dozen alien races here. All of them with unique alien perspectives. If uniformly giving them all a provincial human bigotry makes the universe seem more "real" for you, go for it. Whatever floats your boat.

downshock and Tymon like this.
  7. Learner

You know, this actually makes sense now. Incorporating the trope that all writers are human, and you'd suddenly implement stuff like this.

Still, regardless of that, we don't even have any 'human' towns yet. So we can't even dish out anything in particular about other people.

8. MilkCalf

MilkCalf Supernova

Humans were realy advanced before Earth's destruction, so your theory is wrong.
    That sort of NPC behavior would work realy well in my opinion.
    Someone said somwthing about a 'races are a cosmetic thing'. When did the devs say anything about this? I have never chosen a race becauce of cosmetics.

9. Learner

Well, when I was typing that, I did somehow have the feeling that I was wrong.

I really do like the idea of NPC opinions on race affecting gameplay. Along with the occasional galaxy that's predominated by a single race.

10. cooltv27

cooltv27 Heliosphere

the devs wanted the races to be the same gameplay wise (as in no racial abilities) so people can pick floran because SSSTABSS! or glitch because medieval robots without having to worry about "will this be easier as another race?"

11. LethalShade

LethalShade Scruffy Nerf-Herder

[​IMG]

Yeah, definitely need more hostility.

Bonus :
    [​IMG]

I laughed so hard.

Starbug and Akado like this.
  12. Starbug

Starbug Guest

Well like the real world, not every villager is a racist bigot. Perhaps a small number of townsfolk have these lines of dialog.

And it's not about being a bigotry simulator, it's about immersion in the lore. The folk drawing parallels with human bigotry are spinning it to the extreme. It's extreme to imagine that a few cheeky lines of text alluding to your character in-game make this game a bitter experience?

I can go into a village and murder anyone and everyone, but if one of the NPC's has the gall - mid murder spree - to call my character "fish-face", it's going too far?

;)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2014
    Lazogna, MilkCalf and Akado like this.
  13. IcyLucario

IcyLucario Subatomic Cosmonaut

Well glitches sometimes be stereotypical to avians.. or maybe its fact.

Anyway its a good idea.

Starbug likes this.
  14. pinkie pirate

pinkie pirate Cosmic Narwhal

I will not have lived until it is possible to have a justified reason to kill everyone as hylotl in a floran village.

15. MilkCalf

MilkCalf Supernova

There is never a justified reason to kill someone in my opinion. But, ofcource games arent real and people have differend opinions.

Skarn likes this.
  16. pinkie pirate

pinkie pirate Cosmic Narwhal

maybye, but no matter what, saying #yoloswag im so 1337 mlg bitch is a good reason to hunt someone down.

17. Starbug

Starbug Guest

What if they call your Avian character "Bird Brain". Brush it off? Or smite them?

18. Melissia

Melissia Ketchup Robot

Starbound's plenty fine. Not everything needs to be grimdarkian.

Hatsya Souji likes this.
  19. DarthTrethon

DarthTrethon Spaceman Spiff

Nope, enough racism and hate in the real world.....I could really appreciate a galaxy/universe that is all friendship, roses and peace.....yes, I mean that, no, I'm not sarcastic, and yes, I'm well aware the game won't be like that....until I install a mod or two that is.

20. MilkCalf

MilkCalf Supernova

In both those situations i would be okay with beating them up but not killing.