1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Should starbounds world be more "Racist"?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by warcore, Aug 29, 2014.

1. Just05010

Just05010 Subatomic Cosmonaut

So what I'm getting from this is that he wants more racists races, which would be funny as hell. I'm pretty sure a few of the races are already racist against eachother but it is a cool concept.

2. TachyonBlade

TachyonBlade Phantasmal Quasar

Uhuh.
    So apparently Starbound has NO realism.

Well, if you want a Starbound with no sociological sense, sure.
    But I'd prefer what OP is suggesting (not a tree branch I swear)

3. Akado

Akado Oxygen Tank

There is already "soft" tension between Hylotl and Floran. I say "Soft" because there's no active hatred taking place, and aside from chat lines, Floran NPCs treat Hylotl PCs the same as they treat Floran PCs. They don't raise prices for fishheads, they don't attack them on sight, they don't even douse them in lemon.

Since the races seem to dislike each other, with varying degrees of hatred, it would kinda make a little sense if there was a minor active change. Maybe Floran vendors charge 50% more to Hylotl shoppers, or pay 25% less rent? Hopefully these things wouldn't make or break someone's experience if they were to only find "their enemy's" village, but it might be enough to make them aware of the racial tensions that exist in the lore.

*Edit*
    Please note, simply because a game is not 100% realistic does not mean that it should be 0% realistic. There will be elements of realism in every game, and there will be elements of complete fantasy in each game. Simply pointing out something that is not realistic does not mean the game should not consider adding realistic elements.

Lecic, rhomboid, krylo and 1 other person like this.
  4. Dbr0wn

Dbr0wn Space Spelunker

[​IMG]

5. Starbug

Starbug Guest

You don't have to misquote what I said. This is about lore, not progression. If you don't play the game because of the lack of content, that is totally valid. However, to say you'll stop playing because a NPC called you fish-face as you pass by is being a little sensitive.

Serenity likes this.
  6. Dbr0wn

Dbr0wn Space Spelunker

Ok so answer this question

Would starbound feel empty because of:

a)Lack of racism in lore

b)Lackluster and repetative progression

I'm sorry I don't see the need for having racism in a game that's so far from reality it has a launcher that shoots pigs,penguins that can operate ufo's and tanks and characters made of plasma, I deeply apologize for offending you.

7. Just05010

why the hell are you guys fighting about starbound not having realism and feels empty? it's just a game :nope:

Serenity likes this.
  8. Akado

Akado Oxygen Tank

Probably because:
    a) It's a quiet day right before a holiday
    b) The OP contributed an idea that may or may not add to immersion
    c) There are topics/issues that some feel are more important right now
    d) Someone saw a buzzword and replied without reading the full OP

TA's note: While this is indeed a multiple-choice part of the test, you are allowed to select multiple choices for your answer, or even contribute your own.

9. Just05010

I pick answer D

Serenity likes this.
  10. Skarn

Skarn Existential Complex

From a realism standpoint I personally don't think the average space-age colonist should be overtly racist... At least I would hope not.

You might have a named NPC or two like that, but I'd say leave that stuff out of the random comments you get from passersby. Besides the whole floran/hylotl thing, of course, anything goes with that. :rofl:

Dbr0wn likes this.
  11. Dbr0wn

Dbr0wn Space Spelunker

Its c.

Good attempt though.

12. Just05010

its all of them :poke::confirm:

Serenity likes this.
  13. Akado

Akado Oxygen Tank

Even if there are things more important, does it hurt to discuss this now?

The devs very likely won't be adding this in to the next update due to priorities, but we can talk about it here and hopefully get the idea polished up to where the devs can easily add it into the game. Or at least we can identify and maybe even resolve all potential issues we can think of, and then the devs don't have to deal with that later.

MilkCalf, Untrustedlife and Serenity like this.
  14. It would be excessive if the game was previously "YAY HAPPY LOVE AND HUGS FOR EVERYONE" and they were saying "No, stop, they need to be bigoted because that's how the real world works!". It's already well established in the lore that a bunch of the races hate each other, this is just an outward expression of that underlying feeling. If you're a Floran, the Hylotl aren't likely to let you through the air-lock no matter how many times you proclaim your affection for them.

Cipherstar, Serenity and Pyre like this.
  15. Just05010

Floran:"COME ON I LOVE YOU GUYS"
    Hylotl:"NO STAY THE HELL AWAY FROM US"

krylo, MilkCalf, Dargona1018 and 3 others like this.
  16. Akado

Akado Oxygen Tank

To be fair, this is actually what happened earlier in the form of
    Avian: I LOVE YOU AND WANT TO CUDDLE WITH YOUR SOFT SKIN
    Everyone: Okay, creepy, I'm out.

Evidence: This thread. Pretty much just look at the first picture, and watch the first response's video.
    Also, this thread.

Serenity and blazeti like this.
  17. Starbug

Starbug Guest

Don't worry dude, I didn't take any offense at what you said. I have a thicker skin that that. Infact an NPC in Starbound could call me all the names under the sun as I stroll by with my in game avatar and I wouldn't bat an eyelid. You know that even within a fictional universe, haters are gonna hate :p

Rivalry / tribalism between the races should be within the lore of the world. It makes sense. I don't know why it's so offensive to you, but concede that it's your opinion to opine.

All the best

Untrustedlife and Serenity like this.
  18. Dbr0wn

Dbr0wn Space Spelunker

I also like how you couldn't answer the question.

19. Your question was loaded. Provide a question that isn't tinged with bias and I'm sure people will answer. I'm partial to short answer or fill in the blank (see examples below).

Fill in the blank example:
    Starbound would be much better with ____________ playing a larger part in the games mechanics or story.

Short answer example:
    Marty thinks that racism in fictional universes can be an interesting and useful lore mechanic. Betty-sue thinks the racism in any form is inherently wrong.
    In the space below, please provide your stance on racism in fictional universes.

Extra Credit:
    Do you think some people take games too seriously (circle one): Y / N

20. Just05010

Lol.

Serenity likes this.