1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Should starbounds world be more "Racist"?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by warcore, Aug 29, 2014.

1. warcore

warcore Existential Complex

greetings lads

now before ripping my throat out for the title, please, give me at least a few lines to explain

now I have been playing starbound again and I again have been starting to feel like the game is "empty", now I know this is beta so that should be expected, but I thought and looked a lot deeper and I came to a conclusion

starbound isn't racist enough to me (community facepalm)

now when I say "Racist" I don't mean, black man, white man, type of racist, I mean racism in terms of starbounds 6(to be 7) races

I walked to a apex town with my avian and I felt more or less "immersed" in the game(sorry if I spelt it wrong) with all the military guys pacing around and all of the "the big ape is watching" stuff really backing up the idea that this place was controlled by a micro-managing "big brother" government but there was one big problem, everyone was being so nice to me?!?

I mean how am I supposed to feel like I am part of this world when everyone is so nice to me? I mean they might as well all be androids programmed to do nothing but walk around and shout nothing but supportive praise to random people

you know if I want to feel like part of the games world I want the line between "friendly" and "hostile" to be less black and white
    I mean not all npc's should just accept the player without question, is there not a single stereotype these apex people could have heard about the avians, you know being all "purists" or "cultists" or maybe even "terrorists" with there vary religious lifestyle and culture

if I went into that same apex town with my avian, it would make sense that these military guards would do things like stalk me from a distance, never taking there eyes off the outsider, you know the people of this town may try to avoid me in fear that the military would do something to them if they were seen mingling with this untrustworthy avian

now I hope I more or less explained what I mean when I say that starbound should have more "racist" interactions when it comes to the world and all of these cultures all forced to live together, you know it makes you see this world like it was more of a real world when its people act like people who have there own opinions differentiating them, you know a little bit of hate can transform a normally bland npc into somebody who shows signs of having his own personality which adds a lot of depth into something that would normally be a vary small yet empty interaction

I think that if the devs want to give starbound its own "feel" that keeps people playing, then they need to add in this type of hostile interaction between races to add more depth and personality to the world and its inheritance

(and on a minor note, its vary easy to see that I am one of those people who enjoys ranting =D)

Subaru7, Exxil3d, Woden and 13 others like this.
  2. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

I agree. We already have different reactions from NPCs based on player race, so why not some slurs? Some of the possibilities could be quite humorous. Maybe even some behavioral differences as well, like you said with watching you closely. Obviously, it shouldn't get to the point where playing as one race will make another attack on sight.

rhomboid, Grimmli, MilkCalf and 8 others like this.
  3. Serenity

Serenity The Waste of Time

Yes some nice world building can be built of that. Was a big part of mass effect.

MilkCalf and Untrustedlife like this.
  4. Cipherstar

Cipherstar Scruffy Nerf-Herder

And the opposite as well. It's annoying when all the humans you meet want you dead. You'd think there'd be more value to human life at least among humans when there's the whole disaster thing. Newp. DIE. I hated that about Skyrim too, so much out of place violence. Maybe I'm just weird, but I'd much rather bluff, intimidate, reason, or seduce my way through a game than hack, slash and shoot everything. That's a little extreme, but it'd just be nice if you could do a quest of some sort to neutralize groups of NPCs on a planet or have the actions against that particular race effect racial relations as a whole (Bounty and stuff).

I largely agree. Starbound is overly rated-G. It would greatly benefit from some darker flavoring, such as racism between the many drastically different (visually) races. (I dislike how all the races are the same despite visuals. You'd think a Hylotl would be fine under water, or a Glitch fine in cold and so on).

Lecic and Subaru7 like this.
  5. blazeti

blazeti Tentacle Wrangler

Racism in a fantasy/sci-fi setting is a great way to further immerse yourself into the game.

It's human nature to form bias based on culture, and we only have pigmentation! Alien races have many more reasons to generalize and discriminate against each other (and some might even be valid!).

6. Ixmore

Ixmore Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I will agree that CF should add more racism as well. In fact, I wonder if we shouldn't have human villages and instead have them live at villages of different races (since they're scattered) doing all the odd jobs and jobs no one else wants to do like clean the toilets.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
    Lecic, McBobbish and blazeti like this.
  7. Harlander

Harlander Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Ooh, yeah, and then even though humans can't get any decent jobs, all the natives will be "bloody humans, coming over here, taking our jobs".... ;)

McBobbish and M C like this.
  8. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Oxygen Tank

i could always do with more racism
    the olny ones who seem racist are they hylotls right now so sure?

MilkCalf likes this.
  9. Just05010

Just05010 Subatomic Cosmonaut

Whenever I'm on a server with friends I play the chocobo song around avian characters. I think that may be :poke: racist. lol

MilkCalf, Nutric and Rink like this.
  10. TachyonBlade

TachyonBlade Phantasmal Quasar

Finally, a reason to exterminate xenos scum. I agree quite whole heartedly with this.

11. Starbug

Starbug Guest

Hyotl = Slimy, slippery eels
    Human = Sweaty gut-bacteria host
    Glitch = If you only had a heart
    Floran = Stupid vegetable
    Avian = Bird-Brain
    Apex = Flea-ridden primate
    Novakid = I just can't think of one

rhomboid, MilkCalf, Nutric and 2 others like this.
  12. TachyonBlade

The sweaty gut bacteria host could apply to most of these races, probably.
    And for novakids, apply cowboy slurs

13. Dbr0wn

Dbr0wn Space Spelunker

Guess I won't be playing much after a sci fi racism simulator update.

14. TachyonBlade

Did you actually read what was given?
    It would make things a little more realistic, instead of having a 1984-style military race speak to outsiders and xenos like they were the best of friends.

MilkCalf, Cipherstar and Starbug like this.
  15. Starbug

Starbug Guest

Isn't it right there would be racism in a universe with varied life forms? Must we apply earthbound political correctness to a whimsical videogame?

16. Just05010

Just05010 Subatomic Cosmonaut

We aren't bird brain- hey look, a wurm! :lickitung::saywhat:

17. Dbr0wn

Dbr0wn Space Spelunker

Just my two cents on it.

Its an opinion, sue me.

18. Starbug

Starbug Guest

It's your opinion that adding racist / tribal text would make the game a sci-fi racism simulator? If that forces you to stop playing the game, it would be disappointing.

Perhaps just a little bit of a knee-jerk reaction to a silly little addition to the lore / universe?

19. ScrubNiggurath

ScrubNiggurath Scruffy Nerf-Herder

After seeing you spell wurm with a u i thought you were talking to me.
    ...but then i remembered that my names scrubniggurath on this forum because someone used wurm first. >.>

20. Dbr0wn

Dbr0wn Space Spelunker

A knee jerk reaction would be after discovering the game feels empty, instead of pointing out the obvious place holder "ore,armor,boss,ore,armor,boss,ore,armor,boss,ore,armor,boss,ore,armor" progression which is majorly responsible for the game feeling empty you then say "starbound isn't racist enough"

I did read what was given.

Also

>Starbound

>Realistic

Pick one.