1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Ship Upgrades Update

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Darklight, Mar 16, 2014.

1. Ponjkl

Ponjkl Subatomic Cosmonaut

new people is not old

Axe Garian likes this.
  2. ___MeRliN___

___MeRliN___ Guest

Got a question after thinking about that a bit:

So the Hylotl are supposed to be one of the 6 main species/main characters right? Thats what I got so far. Ok now here comes the complicated part: The Agaran are a side species/sidecharacter. How comes then that the Agaran seem to be higher on the priority list as a sidecharacter then the Hylotl? I dont get that, would you be so kind and if you have time try explaining that to me? Dont get me wrong, the Agaran are interesting indeed, but they should be implemented as main species with an attention focus like that and not as a sidecharacter...

Villhelm likes this.
  3. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

In order to finish the Hyotyl - the programmers have to rewrite how dungeons are generated under water.
    The Agarans only require the writer and artist. Hence the Artist can freely make new assets and implement it into the game by him or her self. As the JSON aspect of it is quite simple for anyone to deal with.

With that said - they rather add new gameplay features and fix current bugs as opposed to spend time now to figure out how to make dungeons genereate under water.

Axe Garian, Akado and cyberspyXD like this.
  4. Akado

Akado Oxygen Tank

This, pretty much.

Look at the number of people expressing disappointment in the lack of new features. New features are "sexy" while fixing previously-announced things is "expected" and definitely not "sexy"...

5. cyberspyXD

cyberspyXD Tiy's Beard

At least we can find solace in the fact that I'm sexy.

6. ___MeRliN___

___MeRliN___ Guest

What about humans? They do not live underwater and yet do not have any civil areas for whatever reason. Only those clishee military areas... I can buy that with the Hylotl (partially).
    But still Humans are aswell considered main species and only have 2 particular type of encounters and both of them are pretty much hostile... Would like to see those fleshed out at some point aswell, prefereable soon, because I feel very awkward whenever I play as human and get shot by my own kind... I mean that happens in reality often enough but well... not having any facilities/villages besides the military bunkers (which are totally ok to be shot at even as a human) and prisoners full of psychic maniacs (not the good kind of psychics which posses incredible powers) where you also get utterly attacked by your own kind, which is also understandable. But some peacefull villages where you can trade with humans and eventually as a Floran wreck rampage on them would be good though...

Also dont know if you know this random encounter with the cultists: The one with the in most cases avian female being hunted by cultists out of her home. I would like to see those particular interspecies interactions more often, not that what you can interpretate out of that but rather say: You find a ruined bunker taken over by Florans and some human soldiers with pulse rifles outside trying to rush the building. Should be doable and would have some nice atmosphere.
    Or if you like the Agarans that much: Get lets say an human bunker (cant think of anything else) put some of their spore spears/pods inside, put a few agarans inside. Let a few humans inside being fought by the Agarans. That would be interesting then just those already happened events.

Your avatar is a novakid, thats hot... literally...

7. The | Suit

Just because both of the major encounters are hostile doesn't mean they don't have any.
    With that said - they added 2 major dungeons not associated with any particular race
    Also that is what humans are known for, hating everyone.
    As humans - we discriminate against skin color - country - state - religon - dialect - hair color.
    Heck I don't think there is a single thing we don't discriminate against.
    So humans being hostile to everything under the sun is basically your average human culture even in real life.

As for "Unique" Dungeon assets
    • Apex though technically have 3. 2 of the 3 use the same assets - making it 2
    • Avians technically have 5 - but 2 groups 2 share the same assets - making it 3
    • Florans have 3
    • Glitch have 3
    • As well as 2 Non associated Dungeons - SciFi and Mineshaft

Enraged Koala alone we got
    • 6 new Mini Dungeon \ Encounters
    • 3 New Unique NPC's
    • About 3 new Mini Biomes
    • 3(+) New Weather effects
    Keeping in mind it isn't a question of just "making them" - but a question of "How to make them and What to make" which is the most important and time consuming factor. For example making new particles fall from the sky - is now pretty easy. You could just follow the template set by the multitude of other things which have been done prior. But things like Fog \ Sandstorm \ ground mist must have taken some time to hash something to together as it will be the first in that type of effect.

Which I have tried to do for my mod - without any luck for a long time before they implemented fog. Which I am pretty happy about now.

Things are getting done - just not in the order you want it to be. In the end they decide the order - but the order they are currently choosing is the same one I would also. New Biomes and New Effects add much more variability then just another glorified building with NPC's inside.

Right now the NPC's provide no additional gameplay benefit to serve any purpose. So might as well mix it up a little until they do.

Though I s till want a Tornado CF.

Axe Garian likes this.
  8. ___MeRliN___

___MeRliN___ Guest

And I want a working Gauss Rifle powered by some extremly efficient (chemical) energy cell I developed... doesnt mean I get one right? Still kinda confused about the whole Agaran procedure because its messing with well... what you consider as weird logical orders in my mind. Sidecharacters = more attention then main characters? When I go and play C&C's campaign I dont go ahead to eliminate a Scrin outpost when I should just protect civilians before they get annihilated by Scrin. When I play Crysis 1 (the good one, not that linear one) I do not go try to safe the north koreans with the VTOL in one particular mission... I get the hell out of there because I got Ceph drones in my back... firing with cryoweapons at me, that means I fullfill my main objectiv first and care for the main characters first... havent played new games since a while I must admit, but arent main characters supposed to be in the focus somehow because well... they are main characters? Sorry I really dont get it... Tried to see the Agaran as a main character, but doesnt fit in yet... may try to see them as main antagonist from now (kinda like the Ceph from Crysis, but less cool and less "OMGIWANNAPLAYASTHEM!")... should make a bit more sense to me then.

9. The | Suit

That is because you are applying unrelated logic.
    If we wanted to apply a correlation

Say you own a house
    You like to decorate your house with various fancy items. You can easily go your self to a shop and buy those items to decorate.

Say one day you want a new room to your house to decorate. You cannot decorate a room that doesn't exist.
    You need Engineers to build your room first - before you can decorate it.

==
    That is the same case here. Before the Hyotyl can be developed - they need engineers to build up their rooms.
    Its not something artists can do.
    ==
    Lets take a look at humans.
    Say there is only 1 ice cream shop in town, and it only has variations of Vanillia ice cream.
    Lemon vanillia, Pickled Vanillia, Pineapple Vanillia etc.

Would you rather have a new variation of Vanillia ice cream.
    Or would you rather they add Chcolate and Straw berry [ considering in this theoretical situation you never tried chocolate or strawberry before - so it would be completely new to you ]

Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
    Naun and Akado like this.
  10. ___MeRliN___

___MeRliN___ Guest

The last comparasion made alot of sense to me, yeah would totally go then with the stuff I dont know yet... where I dont have any information on because I just want to know how it is. Well that would be my logic to that.

But well I think I can "live" with taking the Agarans more as an <<necessary antagonist>> for a plot slowly developes thought the fact that it crawls it creeps and it grows doesnt really impress me that much (Says somebody who watched the blob a few days ago just to get again weird feelings every time he uses the drain in the kitchen)... but well that might develope aswell slowly. Though some nice more... "antagonistic" (is that even a word?) things they could have... like that encounter in the last patch featuring them. With those pods where they seem to grow in, probaly assimilating other species into theirs. That fits to a propper antagonist, making them look evil and interesting. More of that stuff I would like to see with them and then I can consider them also as a main character and an antagonist (kinda like the Ceph from Crysis, but still less cool). But well lets see how this developes. Hopefully they turn them into something really cool, like those demons which are also a sidecharacter but interesting enough because of those hardcore oneliners they say claiming that they will bath in other species blood once they are defeated/set the universe on fire... If the Agaran are put equally "cool"/dark/horrible in terms of being evil towards the main species at some point then for my part would be totally satisfied with them as antagonist and being a main character.

11. Aetherpunk

Aetherpunk Aquatic Astronaut

OBJECTION!!! MUST HAVE CASTLE!!! IT GIVES ME AND EREC-er-OBJECTION!!! IT STANDS ON THE BRINK OF PERFECTION!!! I MUST BE A RAPPER NOW THAT I HAVE AN INTERNET CONNECTION!!! I KEEP SPEAKING IN DIS REPETITION!!!MUST END A SENTENCE WITH ION-EPTION!!! MUST MAKE SURE IT'S IN THE CAPTION!!! MUST WATCH A MOVIE BY THE NAME OF INCEPTION!!! OBJECTION!!! THAT MOVIE WAS A CONTRADICTION!!! SOMEONE HELP END MY OBSESSION!!! WITH THINGS THAT END IN ION-EPTION!! I SHOULD BE TALKING ABOUT THE FORTIFICATION!!! OF MY INTERSTELLAR TRANSPORTATION!!! BUT INSTEAD I'M IN OBSESSION!!! IN THIS PHOENIX WRIGHT DECEPTION!!! CAN'T STOP, MUST MAKE MOAR OBJECTION!!! I LIKE THE NEW SHIPS AND THEIR DESCRIPTIONS!!! I THINK I'M HIGH OFF CAFFEINE-ATION!!! YEAH, THATS A WORD NOW!!! WUT?!?!

Drugs are bad kids, even the legal ones.

... butI like cherry and mint chocolate chip... and you lost me after a bit, what do you mean try these new flavors?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2014
  12. Barondoom

Barondoom Void-Bound Voyager

the human ship looks like a republic frigate from the old republic

Serenity likes this.
  13. Royal_Starlord

Royal_Starlord Big Damn Hero

I gotta admit, ship hype is strong here. :3

Getting a bigger ship will help me and everyone else to store all the necessary items in, and also make it so that it'll be the main HQ to plot and conquer with for most people. :sneaky:

Though I would LOVE to get a rough estimate in when the next update might be coming out.

And when I said 'estimate', I meant to say it as 'educated guess'.

Whether the 1.0 is released in this year or the next one, I'm hoping for the developers/artists to take their time to craft a beautiful game for everyone to enjoy and listen to the suggestions of the starbounders. (You, me, everyone that owns a copy of this game!)

Heck, I might even make a suggestion about, say... more emote options in game. Rather than using the arrow keys, why not use the number pad? Might be hard to implement there will have to be new expressions for each of the races.

............ Oh sorry, now I'm rambling. I'll cut my tongue off now kay thankz bai.:lickitung::scissors:

The | Suit likes this.
  14. Albussystems

Albussystems Pangalactic Porcupine

Well @xxswatelitexx all said and explained!^^
    Please if someone takes his time and answers that completely, take your time and read the whole thing...

Even i am getting weary waiting^^

(Lost count how many Floran villages i cleared only because they asked for it!^^)

If there aren't any jet..... how about "we" build some Structures ourselfes?

15. Presios Saiyan

Presios Saiyan Giant Laser Beams

What if there is some Apex settlement with the Hylotl in a mixed varaiation of Chinese and Soviet Union?

Just saiyan. If i mean by that, Will it be some use with the Perfectly Generic Object? They are useless and needed a use to make ores with.

16. Oilura

Oilura Seal Broken

They are merely pixels.

17. Villhelm

Villhelm Phantasmal Quasar

LONG LIVE SINO-SOVIET STARBOUND!
    [​IMG]
    Although the Hylotl are based off Japan (not good history with communism)

Last edited: Nov 17, 2014