SHIP EXPANSION: Just make it completely custom

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by GreyMaria, Dec 24, 2013.

1. GreyMaria

GreyMaria Existential Complex

Haven't gotten around to it yet. Gimme a little while and I might. I designed this one specifically so that it can be used as-is as a tree and crop farm. I should put in a proper shack with a captain's chair and fuel tank, though.

2. Old_Crazy_Gamer

Old_Crazy_Gamer Pangalactic Porcupine

Currently waiting on Rik to get back and update his mod (sad).

I mainly use my ship as a farm but trying to figure out the design that i liked (city ship). Some really great designers at large in the forums.

Wish people would put there .shipworld files up so we can use them as well. (without their gear and furniture, of course ;))

3. GreyMaria

I can push a new sandbox .shipworld right now if you don't mind Avian starting equipment and a heavy stock of Avian ship blocks being stored in the shiplocker.

(It also has 100 shiplockers, for maximum absurdity...)

4. Old_Crazy_Gamer

Old_Crazy_Gamer Pangalactic Porcupine

I would greatly appreciate it :), will make a new avian character to match it. Just hope they don't delete our ships/worlds again.

Thank you very much in advance.

5. GreyMaria

Bloop.

Attached Files:

6. J-block

J-block Pay it Forward

Another suggestion: allow me to lock my ship down from anyone else doing things on it. I feel it should have already been like this

7. AnotherOldGamer

AnotherOldGamer Poptop Tamer

Here's all the info you need :) If anyone wants a shipworld file without the hassle I'll post one later:

8. GreyMaria

That's not the point here. The point is to make it an official feature.

Old_Crazy_Gamer likes this.
  9. AnotherOldGamer

AnotherOldGamer Poptop Tamer

Fair enough, I should have read more of the thread :)

10. KuramaFox

KuramaFox Subatomic Cosmonaut

My idea for ship customization would be basically adding a "starship structure block." Placing this block somewhere would allow you to place any block you want in that area and in the background of that area. You would not be able to build outside the areas that have this. The ship's interior would by default already set up like this.

In effect, it would be a specialized block that is only usable in the spaceship world, and which modifies a layer just behind the background layer you can normally place walls and such on.

The end result is that you can make your ship look like whatever you like (though requiring certain elements like having an "engine" type piece of equipment for instance). But that it would require a specific block to unlock the ability to modify a place that isn't already part of said ship. Meaning you can make it something that is difficult to do, and gets easier as you get better stuff. So perhaps you first get a recipe for it in the low tiers that is a bit costly and very hard to make a lot of, then near middle of the game you start getting enough pixels to make them a little faster via the 3D printer (with a high cost). And near the end of the game you get a dedicated means of crafting them cheaply with pixels, akin to how some blocks can be crafted with pixels on other stations more cheaply then they can be with the 3D printer once you get certain upgrades.

And this says nothing about things you can make that can be placed on a ship.

11. KuramaFox

KuramaFox Subatomic Cosmonaut

I had the same thought myself. That is one of the two things I put in a simple multiplayer mechanics suggestion I made recently.

12. Conor785

Conor785 Pangalactic Porcupine

well this is confirmed and to what extent i don't know. The size will exponentially increase and you can do what you want with the interior. I images and the ships are pretty big

13. GreyMaria

No, it's not confirmed at all. What they're going to do is a fixed ship design built out of immovable modular pieces that you unlock as you progress.

14. Conor785

Conor785 Pangalactic Porcupine

well i think that the big problem is they are small. I don't think that by saying it should full customization makes it very different or fixes a big problem any more than the original plan