1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Share your experiences in Starbound.

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by The Great Mighty Avian, Oct 27, 2014.

1. The Great Mighty Avian

The Great Mighty Avian Poptop Tamer

Just a place to share your stories, both funny or interesting, of Starbound.

2. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

After a few months of absence, I opt into the nightlies to see what's new. I spawned in a dungeon, and died a good three times before I got to the second room. Which was filled with mobs that kicked my unarmored arse. That was the end of that.

Serenity likes this.
  3. The Great Mighty Avian

My first time playing starbound: I landed on an ?arid? planet and was looking for ore, landed in acid water, dead. Then, I avoided the acid water. Got met with those purple cloak people, ass kicked. Dead. Then, I got past them, found a temple. Avians killed me. Dead. Dug a hole. Got dark. Dead. Made a house, left the door open, monster came in. Dead. Started raining, Acid rain. Dead.

4. rhomboid

rhomboid 0118 999 881 99 9119 725... 3

My first character was a glitch and he spawned on what I assume is a pretty unremarkable alpha planet, but I had no idea what was going on so he died a loooot of times. He still hasn't left alpha sector and his official bio is that his respawn device is broken so he's perpetually derpy.

I don't know if this counts, but it makes me giggle.

5. TrueEdge

TrueEdge Phantasmal Quasar

First time floran beam down to planet, big rock fall from sky and burn floran. Big burn. Big rock. Floran die, but floran come back. More rocks fall. Floran die again.

Later, floran move to new planet, made nice home. More rocks fall. Floran try to hunt falling rocks, but rocks too big. Floran no like falling rock.

ShizeMation, TiddleFits and rhomboid like this.
  6. Silverforte

Silverforte Spaceman Spiff

As the admin of a now dead server, I saw some seriously dysfunctional kids power trip over their hacks. One guy came in as Greenthunder and had items that would spam meteors and instant kill explosive projectiles. I told him we all looked like power rangers. He took that to heart and continued from then forth to refer to us as the power rangers of the server. Me being the silver one, him being the green one and so forth. Then, he used his hacks (which we all told him were eating up the server memory) to 'defeat' other hackers and guard the server. However, we didn't allow hacks, so of course, I had to tell him to stop as well as anyone else.

He didn't enjoy this. It turned into a bunch of people acting like him, bragging nonstop about their hacking abilities and logging in as names like

S:DK*@U#NJDSHY; AJBDSAHBH3J JASBDBG23
    Dickspasm
    LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

and the ever favorite

IlIlIlIlIlIlIllllIIIlI

Which made it impossible to kick them because, at the time, you couldn't kick people with long names for some reason. Not like it mattered, they just made new characters and came back. Some days, I'd sit there spamming /ban commands for 10-15 minutes nonstop.

I came on one day and they'd all spammed thrown blocks all over the spawn planet and it took 5 people an hour to clean up.

Needless to say, Starbound has allowed me to work harder to maintain a server than I've ever had to. I've seen some sh*t.

Yzzey, rhomboid and Jonesy like this.
  7. Scottnov

Scottnov Big Damn Hero

My first planet I was ever on had Togepi on it. Pretty darn fitting, huh? I have a screenshot of it somewhere but I'm too lazy to find it.

Sometime later, I found my pet Sven.

Sven was an amazing, overpowered, electro-spitting dinosaur with a sheep voice and an orange body. A picture of Sven can be found here: http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/3332964116097779371/629B1BE3E2FD084518DDA02D976685B1A4783ECA/

I leveled Sven up to some uncountable level and after quite a bit of (most likely unneeded) preparation, we fought the Jelly, or rather, Sven fought the Jelly. As soon as he spawned Sven zapped him and that was it for the blobby beast.

Me and Sven had many great adventures after that (which included a hefty amount of me worrying that he would despawn when I died on a planet and he was left there), yes, many great adventures. Fighting monsters, beating dungeons, exploring strange, unknown worlds, playing frungy and of course, eating ice cream until we both exploded and had to be cloned.

Sadly, Sven is not in my current modded save file. This deeply saddens me, and now I spend my days searching planets for a pet as equally cute, cool, and powerful as Sven. And so far, to no avail. I've been searching for quite a while now.

One day, me and Sven shall reunite. One day.

Yzzey likes this.
  8. rhomboid

rhomboid 0118 999 881 99 9119 725... 3

It sounds similar to the plight of Derrick! You should hook up with @Yongzhi2000, since he's totally gonna start a Looking for Derrick server (wink wink nudge nudge)

Yzzey likes this.
  9. Scottnov

Scottnov Big Damn Hero

Aha! Someone with a similar plight to mine. I hope with combined efforts of everyone we can find our pets.

Yzzey likes this.
  10. The Great Mighty Avian

I went in starbound blind and thought a distress beacon would spawn my colonists because I had the colonies mod. I make it, only to get rekt by a Penguin UFO.[DOUBLEPOST=1414389595][/DOUBLEPOST]I feel real
    I feel really sorry for you.

11. Lora Grim

Lora Grim Guest

I played. And then i didn't play any more. I am tempted every once in a while to try the nightlies but... blegh. I don't think i would have the patience for all the bugs.

12. The Great Mighty Avian

I said share your experiences and stories IN STARBOUND. Which means game play.

13. Lora Grim

Lora Grim Guest

I remember when there was gameplay. But then i stopped playing so there wasn't any.

[​IMG]

14. The Great Mighty Avian

That's racist.

15. Lora Grim

Lora Grim Guest

I have found the least offensive image that i can use to reply to this with.
    [​IMG]
    Behold.

16. The Great Mighty Avian

That's pointless.

17. Serenity

Serenity The Waste of Time

I died alot then I got better equipment and died less

18. Will Liferider

Will Liferider Ketchup Robot

I spent my first two hours of playing within the same 100 block radius because there were monsters on either side of me and I was afraid to die

19. Starbug

Starbug Guest

I opted into nightly to see all the new stuff.

My keybinds broke, so I deleted the config and started again, after re-entering all the preferred binds. The difference was noticeable. The combat was better.

Next night I logged on after downloading the daily (or is that nightly) update. The keybinds had to be entered again (each night?)

I gave up and retired to complain on steam forums about the developers not caring about left-handed people.

That's pretty much my experience. It was nice reading everyone elses.

20. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

My starter planet was a mild, unremarkable forest moon. Decades of arcade games and platformers had conditioned me to always go right, so I did, I explored right. I carved out a litle cave-home, gathered resources, fought off an unexpected UFO full of penguins with just a bow and a broken sword.

Several days later, I think "wait, what's left?"

There was a USMC prison not but a screen or so away from me.

The Stims, Uzi and Folding Chair I eventually obtained there sure would have been nice against those penguins. (Folding Chair remains my all-time favorite weapon in the game, wish I had a Lvl10 version. Not that it'd replace my Lvl10 Bone Club, but still.)

Thus, every new planet I skim, I pretty much always go left now.