1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed [RESOLVED]Server passwords unaffected by editing

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by SlothMonster, Dec 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SlothMonster

SlothMonster Astral Cartographer

Editing the the default_configuration.config file to change the default passwords appears to have no effect at all when logging in.

Platform: Windows 7 Professional x64
    Beta version: Irritated Koala

I was setting up a multiplayer server and wanted to change the default passwords. The following image is of the default password setup in the default_configuration.config file.
    [​IMG]

I changed the first password from blank to something simple for testing purposes. I then removed the other two password options and saved my file. The following picture shows the edited config file.
    [​IMG]

Upon launching the server application and asking a friend to help me test we discovered something odd. While the file was saved with the new information, the passwords were completely unaffected. When trying to connect using "NewPassword" (no quotes), the user receives the error of wrong password, which I confirmed in the server console. Users were, however, able to connect without entering a password at all. This lead to trying the other default passwords of "duckies" and "swordfish" which also connected successfully.

2. Calzino

Calzino Void-Bound Voyager

Hi,
    i think i found a way to solve the problem:
    i tried editing the "starbound.config" file located in "..\Steam\steamapps\common\Starbound" in the same way i edited the file "default_configuration.config" (in the "asset" directory)

Now my "starbound.config" file has this line:

"serverPasswords" : [ "mypass" ],

With this, my server is actually protected and players have to use my password in order to enter my game.

Hope this works for you too!!
    Good Luck!!

3. benjamo

benjamo Poptop Tamer

Hey Calzing I did what you said but people are still able to connect to my server without a password :/

4. Calzino

Hmm , that's strange. I edited the two configurations files in the same way (adding my password) and nobody can join my game unless he/she got the pwd.

Did you remove the two standard password in the config file?

This is my pwd configuration in "starbound.config" :
    "serverPasswords" : [ "MYEVILPWD" ],

and this is my pwd configuration in "defaul_configuration.config" :
    "serverPasswords" : [
    "MYEVILPWD"
    ],

Hope this helped you!

5. SlothMonster

SlothMonster Astral Cartographer

Thanks, Calzino. I hadn't looked in the starbound.config file. I have now, though, and have done some testing.

Both the starbound.config and default_configuration.config files appear to be extremely similar. What we're focusing on here though is passwords, which both files have line entries for. This is what I've found.

Test 1: Edit both files to contain the exact same password entries
    Code:
    "serverPasswords" : [ "NewPassword" ],
    Result: Connection allowed with intended password only

Test 2: Edit the starbound.config file only. Leave default_configuration.config file with default password settings.

starbound.config
    Code:
    "serverPasswords" : [ "NewPassword" ],
    default_configuration.config
    Code:
     "serverPasswords" : [
        "",
        "duckies",
        "swordfish"
    ],
    Result: Connection allowed only with password set in starbound.config

Test 3: Remove all the password lines from default_configuration.config
    Result: Connection allowed with password set in starbound.config

Test 4: Delete default_configuration.config file.
    Result: Server will not launch
    Conclusion:
    We have two files that have references to passwords where one of the files does not effect password requirements for the server. Seems a bit sloppy to have code that is doing literally nothing but taking up lines. For the time I've just removed all password references from the default_configuration.config file and set my desired password in the starbound.config file. Passwords are now working as I'd like them to. For the future, if the password lines in default_configuration.config are going to be required, it will probably be best practice to alter password settings in both starbound.config and default_configuration.config to be indentical.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
  6. Calzino

Glad to have been of help. Have fun! ^^

7. sinnoach

sinnoach Space Hobo

Oddly enough even after all of that I am still having the same problems.

8. Hydranium

Hydranium Void-Bound Voyager

be glad you can get the server working at all :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.