SciFi Magic: Psionics

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by Daitenshi, Feb 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daitenshi

Daitenshi Giant Laser Beams

First off my apologies if this has been suggested. Hopefully this will be entirely different from other suggestions.​
    Since this game is in such an early stage, I do not know about the Details of the game, hopefully there is something like this planned.​
    Thankyou For your feedback Everyone, I will adjust the post accordingly.​

Like It if you really do! Lots of Likes Draws attention!
    ---------------------------------------------------------​
    Psionics:
    Herro Again! First off I'd like to give a brief explanation of my idea. Every RPG-esque game needs some form of caster, and what better for manipulating the forces of the universe then with the power of the mind! Our lovely Friend Wikipedia sais Psionics refer to the practice, study, or psychic ability of using the mind to induce paranormal phenomena such as telepathy or telekinesis. Since this is really just turning magic to make it feel SciFi-y, I personally Feel Psionics is a perfect name.
    Everything is subject to change!
    If this game is sandboxy like terraria, then I believe it leaves it open for any player to do anything. So Psionics should be an latent ability in every player. To activate your Psionic powers you must find Psionic Crystals.​
    Edit: As Brought up in posts, Having a "class" System doesn't mean 100's of alts are needed to do it all. The Beauty of having a Space station as a base is that you can go to your station and refit to play the world with an entirely new class. It's like having one character with e option to play any class they want, just can only change off-world
    -----​
    Psionic Crystals:Psionic Crystals are solidified Psionic energy found in the earth. The basic level of Psionics should be available right near the get-go. This can be applied through the Psionics Screen where you manage and view your Psi-Crystals.​
    Each Psi-Crystal has a different Element or type of "Psionic/Magic" to them called Attunements​
    Attunements:
    • Water
    • Fire
    • Air
    • Earth
    • Darkness
    • Light
    • Mind (Discuss Pleaaase)
    Example Psionic Abilities:
    • Ice Spear (Water)
    • Fireball (Fire)
    • Feather Fall (Air)
    • Earthquake (Earth)
    • Blind (Darkness)
    • Orb of Light (Light)
    • Telekinesis (Mind)
    • these aren't the ONLY kind of spell per attunement! -see below quote-

Edit: After Several posts and some thoughts on my own, I have a separate idea for the Crystals.

The entire point of having separate attunements is so a player can focus on one or mix and match his spells accordingly. So, instead of a "tech-tree" like system, Each individual Spell will have its own Crystal which will be found in it's corresponding environment.

Ex:
    For an Advanced fire spell the player will have to search around, or kill monsters on a lava planet.

For an Advanced Ice spell, start walkin around at -100 below.

This way, Each spell is technically an "Individual" Item that has to be found keeping it more akin to the game.

To keep these powers in check Players using Psionic Powers will have something Akin to a Mana Bar, or a "Psycic Energy Bar"

Discuss! I'll add more when I think of it!

RomadE, Boldty, Kid Childs and 29 others like this.
  2. Daitenshi

Ricky150 likes this.
  3. Daitenshi

-Saved Just in Case-

4. Daitenshi

-Saved Just in Case-

5. Ryss

Ryss Void-Bound Voyager

Only way I could see Time majiiks done is if it were similar to how Dave Strider uses his Time powers in Homestuck, teleporting forward and backward in time by a few seconds to lay multiple hits on an opponent at once, dodge attacks, do long combos from all over the place, etc. (so, not much to do with time at all?).

6. LongChan

LongChan Cosmic Narwhal

Your idea about including psionics as some kind of magical attack seems pretty good to me, but I would eliminate the spell tree. I would use bracelets that enhance your psychic abilities, all of them different and each one possessing a single spell, ala terraria. I would add "psionic proficiency" as a category in the tech skill tree and then the elements as independent subcategories, the higher your value in an elemental subcategory, the greater the damage you do with spells belonging to it.

DeadlyLuvdisc and Casimir like this.
  7. Daitenshi

sadly "single Spell" isnt that attractive of a prospect to me, But perhaps i am misunderstanding the game mechanics already confirmed;

8. Xegan Hive

Xegan Hive Subatomic Cosmonaut

You've got my like on this every game needs a caster of some kind.

9. Daitenshi

Mhm! I'd be a little sad if they went the terraria route. I'd prefer it to be something more defining as a class. I don't want to be able to carry EVERY weapon on me for any little situation. I'd like each little "Class" to have it's own ups and downs. Being a "God/Goddess" in these games s just no fun after awhile.

10. Xegan Hive

Xegan Hive Subatomic Cosmonaut

True being omnipotent was pretty game breaking in terraria with everything at your finger tips to use. I could see you want for structure in classes.

11. Daitenshi

I personally find why having a space Station that's disconnected from the world that much more of a brilliant idea. That way, You can set us as one class for one world, and switch to another via the station. That way players have to prepare properly for each expedition, and not just fly in expecting everything to instantly bow before them.

12. A.N.T.I.

A.N.T.I. Spaceman Spiff

If these are added then there needs to be telekinesis, being able to lift enemies and hurt them from a distance, stuff like that. And then if it's too powerful maybe some items could make it so people resist telekinesis.

13. Daitenshi

I believe that specific one would fall under my "Mind" Attunement. To iron out potential specifics: Telekenisis, while activated, would constantly drain your Psi-Energy, Bigger the object more is drained. Speaking of resistances there could also be Psionic Monsters that do indeed resist your Psi Attacks!

14. Ryss

Ryss Void-Bound Voyager

The thing with classes, though, is that most people don't want to be shoehorned into only being able to do X with one character, and so they have to have 20 different characters to be able to do everything, and then have to jump between them to thou thoroughly explore a world. It just seems like a bit of a waste of time and resources.

And as for your concerns about just breezing through everything, Tiy has stated that he wants level 100 worlds to be difficult, even with the best gear.

15. Daitenshi

I wasn't aware. But as you see in my above post the beauty of having a disconnected main base is you can refit yourself and return to a world to play it entirely differently. No Alts needed

16. Ryss

Ryss Void-Bound Voyager

Yeah, instead of going to the surface with a character, doing some junk, getting more junk, then returning to the Station and changing characters (and by extension, classes?), you would just have to swap out gear, maybe pull out your digging tools (or more specialized digging tools), or whatever. Only problem with THAT is that your character will have, like, 5 different inventory cases, and therefor can probably just bring everything down the first time (unless, of course, the penalty for death is losing your items, in which case we have gotten VERY far off topic).

17. Daitenshi

To I'm saying every class is available... well almost every. secret classes are fun. I digress. They're available from the get go, And on an uninhabited planet or one you don't have a foothold in, it doesn't make sense to be able to lug around enough stuff for omnipotence. There could be player designated... umm the word escapes me... Templates? that players can just click on and entire builds, weapons and all, are equipped and then the old build is unequipped and properly stored.

18. Ryss

Ryss Void-Bound Voyager

I call them Loadouts, but I get your point, the thing is, we already KNOW you will have enough room to lug about tons of stuff. And personally, I wouldn't want to have to jump between the ground and the sky over and over to explore one world. Maybe there could be a machine that you place that allows you to switch loadouts without returning to the space station? Still, classes just don't seem to fit in a game that (at this point) prides itself on allowing the gamer to have all this freedom, and then restrict you in your item choice.

19. Daitenshi

LOADOUTS!!!! that's it. -points to sig- I made an Armory suggestion where we can continue this discussion

20. LongChan

LongChan Cosmic Narwhal

I don't think a game like this one needs classes. Classes are for rpgs, be it action or turn-based and if you ask me, you are NOT invincible in Terraria, hardmode makes you have to customize your own way of playing the game. Besides, by combining different weapon types and armor, you can even create your unique class, as it happens in other games, just make it hard to get good objects belonging to different "class archetypes" and you are good to go, or limit the amount of upgrades you can get for weapons and spells or something the likes of that. Neverthless, with some changes concerning the tree system, I would support your idea, I also think that magic HAS to be in this game, one way or another, but... look at for example, Final Fantasy VI, everyone was able to use magic in that game, or Chrono Cross... And Chrono Cross wasn't one of the easiest games ever either, lol.

Alpha_Squad likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.