Scientific Names

Discussion in 'Other' started by Havoc, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Havoc

Havoc Subatomic Cosmonaut

Looking at the Friday update, I just had a brilliant idea (if I might be so modest). Each variant of a creature should have a randomly assigned fake scientific name.

This is inspired by the old Roadrunner cartoons, where you had names like Accelerati Incredibilus or Birdius Tastius used for the roadrunner.

[​IMG]
    For example, in the image above, you could name the penguins
    • Cyclopica Slimulus
    • Angelicus Divinitae
    • Hero Halfshellius
    Apart from the humor value, this would greatly help people identify, catalog, and talk about creatures they have found.

PS: I'm happy to help out with the naming process if the devs would like a hand.

caldfir, Whaleduck, Eldrake and 41 others like this.
  2. WrathPhoenix

WrathPhoenix Former Staff

I can second this.

3. Ghostar

Ghostar Steakeater

I would be very ok with this. I love looking up scientific names all the time just to call them something else. Plus they just sound cooler!

Svarr Chanston likes this.
  4. vitorsly

vitorsly Phantasmal Quasar

Yes! And the player could give a regular name to creatures he has discovered while scientific names are for every game!

xboy777 likes this.
  5. Epicface

Epicface Heliosphere

I want it, but remember, there are infinite planets, thus many many many enemies, and they release it in summer! Its a good idea but i think it would be too hard.

6. Havoc

Havoc Subatomic Cosmonaut

I'm sure it won't be easy, but there's ways to link the name to the stats. For example, Diablo had near infinite weapons, but it still had an engine that assigned each a name like 'Cruel Steel Dagger of Storms', which reflected what modifiers it had.

Suppose there are 4 variable for penguins, each of which can take 5 possible values. The 'scientific' names could be created as
    var1var2 var3var4. Only 20 name components would be needed, even though there are 625 different final variants.

Of course, there's the danger of getting some unintentionally humorous names, sort of like madlibs.

AshenNox and humansRfunny like this.
  7. Matsu

Matsu Subatomic Cosmonaut

I have no problem with this. Science is after all power.

8. Eddy Steel

Eddy Steel Existential Complex

This would be awesome and educated, looks like somebody listened in their science lessons!
    Edit: and watched their awesome cartoons!

9. Space Sphere

Space Sphere Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Sphere approves.

10. Yaxlat

Yaxlat Existential Complex

The names would have to be put together from the parts and colours they have, thus making it so the devs dont need to name each one

Cryranos likes this.
  11. Epicface

Epicface Heliosphere

thats true. very very true

12. TBSEM98

TBSEM98 Space Spelunker

I support, it will lead to a very good charm that the game can have.

13. Blue

Blue Former Staff

"Hero Halfshellius"

I like your reference to Ninja Turtles. :]

14. Eddy Steel

Eddy Steel Existential Complex

In addition to generated names, there should be special animals with pre-determined names like : Epicus Penguinus or something to that effect.

15. ArcaneMusic

ArcaneMusic Big Damn Hero

Redaigus pandagus.
    :)

16. aiMarz

aiMarz Big Damn Hero

Great reference idea and it goes along with the idea of exploration and species generation as well. Very nice.

17. tps_SurvivoR

tps_SurvivoR Master Chief

we should be able to give it our own 'universal name' to species discovered by us, and then share our discovery with the universe!

Matt McChicken and xboy777 like this.
  18. Madmarlon

Madmarlon Pangalactic Porcupine

Yeah, since there will be many variants, they could enable the player who finds a specific variant first to name it. Then the name will be uploaded to the server and the Game-Client will receive during the next update! Of course, all names have to be approved by the Devs first!
    Hehehe, Penguinus Awesomes :love:

19. merlin.violet

merlin.violet Void-Bound Voyager

Great Idea! You could just assign scientific name to parts of a creature. That way anything with an angel variant would be given the same part-name as other angel variants.
    Although this might not be a good idea due to the fact that it might be hard to verify "who" was the original finder of a creature. Also giving the fact there are so many possibilities with randomness that you would just be overflowing with name requests.

20. tps_SurvivoR

tps_SurvivoR Master Chief

In real life, whoever first publicated the name of the recently discovered specie, has the right to give the name to it!
    but to do this we must follow some rules. the name MUST be written in latin.
    Ex:
    penguins belongs to the Genus 'Pygoscelis' and since theres a type of penguim with only one eye. the owner should name it
    Pygoscelis Ciclopus or something like that :alien:
    But if i discovered a new creature (penguim example again) i can simply put my name with a little bit of latin in it. like:
    Pygoscelis Thomazi . due to my name "Thomas".
    it would be awesome!

xboy777 and rafeu like this.