1. Thanks for visiting! These forums are for the original Risk of Rain, if you're interested in discussing the newly released Risk of Rain 2 head over to that game's steam discussion forum
    Dismiss Notice

Save State?

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by MisterS42, May 9, 2013.

1. MisterS42

MisterS42 Void-Bound Voyager

Can't wait for the beta to open up, but I wanted to throw out a recommendation before hand.

Any chance of a save state function? There are numerous times as a father that I've been called away on a good run and have had to lose all my progress. It would be great if there was a way to add a "Save & Exit" function a la FTL. Thanks for the consideration.

• Restarter000

Restarter000 Intergalactic Tourist

This would be an amazing addition, for when you have to take a break, or when your computer is doing the death countdown cause your anti virus hates you, but wants to protect you ._.

bounding star likes this.
      • DNLK

DNLK Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Yeah this would be great to forced stop game and continue then.

• Seria-Myouna

Seria-Myouna The Last Moderator IRC Operator

Or at least a way to pause.

I dunno if I just missed that one, though -.-;

• Necromechanical

Necromechanical Master Chief

If there were a vote on what to include this would be what I would choose

Lachee and MisterS42 like this.
            • MisterS42

There is a way to pause, but even then I find myself gaming late at night when the family is asleep and having to abandon my run due to exhaustion. Would love to be able to pick up again the following night where I was.

Restarter000 likes this.
              • Jone991

Jone991 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

uhm.. u pause the game and alt + tab, and then open it again when u like to play...

• MisterS42

I turn my computer off at night so as to save energy. I realize that I could just leave it on, but I'd prefer to just save my progress.

Lachee likes this.
                  • Nixeras

Nixeras Subatomic Cosmonaut

This is also incredibly important to me as well. Just the possibility to save the game you're in till you are able to resume it. I don't need multiple save slots or anything fancy. But sometimes life happens at the worst possible moments, this is a great feature for any game to have.

Restarter000 and MisterS42 like this.
                    • Treadlight

Treadlight Existential Complex

Well, I'd call it a 'Quick Save' rather than a 'Save State', and have it function as such. Even if you only have one save state, it wouldn't go away after you load it, and could be abused to reach later levels more easily. Having the save go away once you load it would work. If this will use Game Maker's game_save(fname) function, then there would need to be a way to avoid save data problems, since that works exactly like a save state.

• Shrooblord

Shrooblord Void-Bound Voyager

But also quicksaves need to be stored in some file, otherwise there would be no telling for the program what the save exactly is. So even if you have a quicksave, like for example Faster Than Light has, it can be exploited to reload and reload, as long as you know where the save file is. I'll stay to my example and say that I have more than often used a Quicksave in FTL to be able to return to a point after messing up in one playthrough, out of the pure frustration of failing what 30 minutes in was a good run, and 35 minutes in turned into a disaster.

But if it's game_save() you're worried about, it's as simple as file_delete() to reassure you. :)

• joey4track

joey4track Ketchup Robot

I know saves can be exploited but if you are on a roll this game can go on for awhile and like MisterS42, I too have a little one and when you are a father, your downtime is never guaranteed :)

Saves would be very nice to have

MisterS42 likes this.
                          • MisterS42

Would love a dev response, if possible? Don't want to keep barking up this tree if there is no possibility.

• hopoo

hopoo Risk of Rain Developer Developer

Hm hm hm. I admit I never planned for it, and while I can't guarantee it, sometimes adding in features are oddly easy. Hopefully this is one of them.

I am a little wary of abuse cases, but if people want to cheat their own experience, then meh! It would probably end up something like restarting at the beginning of the level you started at OR not save enemy spawns, and simply 'refund' their value back so they can be respawned. I do have a few things in priority, but I'll remember to try this.

MisterS42 and Restarter000 like this.
                              • MisterS42

Thank you very much for trying!

• joey4track

joey4track Ketchup Robot

I honestly wouldn't mind at all if you were only able to save at the beginning of each level, at least that's something and it gets the job done.

• needsomemiracle

needsomemiracle Scruffy Nerf-Herder

IMO the quick-save feature kind of runs counter to the concept of a roguelike game.

There's no "saving" in a roguelike. If you die - it's "game over", not "roll back half a minute and try again".

Even if there's only one slot, what stops me from hitting quick-save after every group of monsters I fight off, or before every boss? Nothing, and it really undermines the sense of achievement. This feature might have a place in casual mode, but not normal mode.

• Shrooblord

Shrooblord Void-Bound Voyager

Ah, no no, the idea was that only when you save and quit the game can make a quicksave. If you die, there is no quicksave, and if you load the quicksave, it is deleted. I don't know if you've ever played Faster Than Light, but that game uses this concept very well. And although it's exploitable, if you're going to be a hacker anyway, everything's exploitable, so there's no real point in trying to stop people from cheating through their own experience.

Basically: you can only quicksave if you also save and quit the game, or save and return to the menu. If you start a new game, the quicksave is also destroyed.

MisterS42 likes this.
                                      • needsomemiracle

needsomemiracle Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Ah, I misunerstood a bit. The way you described is acceptable.
                                        Yes, I've played FTL, although I'm more used to refer to that save system as "Diablo II style" :p

And while, strictly speaking, everything is exploitable, there comes a point when exploiting something becomes too much of a headache. You could hypothetically save & quit and restart the game every 30 or so seconds to lose as little progress as possible, but I don't see how any sane person would play that way. The quick-save system from my previous post is much more abuse-friendly if all it takes is hitting a key.

• Restarter000

Restarter000 Intergalactic Tourist

While a save would be awesome, I wouldn't mind if there wasn't one.
                                          Quicksave idea is great, maybe, it should only allow you to save by giving up an item. Use an item, take your money, not turning it to experience, just losing it.
                                          Stays at same time / difficulty. This way when you exit ,losing an item and your money is the payment of saving.
                                          Having restrictions of saving like can't be taking damage aren't a great idea, as then it's not quick saving. Haha

MisterS42 likes this.