1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

[1.4.1] Sankto's Beta & Roadmap Tracker

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by sankto, Apr 23, 2013.

1. sankto

sankto Pangalactic Porcupine

Hey there!

Sankto's Starbound Roadmap Tracker

Current version : v1.4.1

A while ago, Kyle0654 did a quick and practical Tracker for the roadmap, using PHP and Twitter. And that got me thinking, "I want to do mine, too!", and then, here i am.

I made an application (using C#) that practically replace the whole of the roadmap's page; You can see each areas under dev, each tasks, each pictures associated, what is the team doing.

But it also allow for what a tracker is for : tracking.
    The application track these changes :
    • Added or removed Areas/markers;
    • Added or removed Tasks;
    • Progression or regression of a task;
    • Task's description is updated;
    • Added or removed images;
    • Dev member change occupation;
    Beyond that, the application also allow you to setup an interval of time of which it will refresh and grab whatever new events happened, if any.

What's more, from version 1.2 onward, there is now a twitter and twitch trackers, first one allowing you to check various dev's tweets and the second one to get notified if there's a live stream going on, as soon as it start!

Also note that even if starbound's server become offline, the gathered informations would still be available, even the images. (those would have to have already been viewed at least once). Indeed, a caching system has been made to specifically try to not bother SB' server much. Of course, the twitter / twitch trackers won't work offline -- they'll simply return blank results.

Screenshots

And now, for a 1 or 2 screenshots : (warning, big images) :

http://www.altarapp.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/SBRT_1_1.png
    The main window. You can see a few events (fakes, for testing purpose) at the bottom.

http://www.altarapp.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/SBRT_1_2.png
    Here, you can see a open task. Also notice the color-coded tree-view to the left; A redish task hasn't progressed much, while a greenish one has.

Changelog
    • 1.4.1.0 :
    • Fixed an issue with some changes that have been done with the news source. No longer crash.
    • 1.4.0.0 :
    • Added a tracker for the frontpage's blog news! Works pretty much like the roadmap and twitch trackers -- set a time and it shall refresh at regular interval.
    • Added omnipotententity's stream twitch accounts to the list.
    • 1.3.2.0 :
    • The "Clicking on a system tray notification balloon" wasn't correctly working, instead it was linked to double-clicking the tray icon. It's now fixed.
    • Added Kyren's and OmnipotentEntit's twitter accounts to the list.
    • 1.3.1.0 :
    • Refreshing the twitter list of tweets or twitch's streams no longer freeze the application while doing so.
    • An error is properly shown when something bad happened while fetching twitter / twitch's list. This won't happen when it's an automatic refresh, however.
    • Clicking on a system tray notification of a live stream will open up the live stream in your default browser, only if that stream is now online.
    • The application had a problem in 1.3.0.0 that prevented it from detecting if there was already an instance of itself, it is now fixed.
    • 1.3.0.0 :
    • A new tab has been added to the bottom section, titled "See live streams". It allow you to view various dev's twitch live stream status from twitch.tv. You can also execute an automatic refresh every X minutes, and a balloon popup shall appear from the system tray when a stream goes online or offline (That is, if you activated the option in the menu).
    • Also added Curtis Schweitzer's twitter account to the list.
    • 1.2.0.0 :
    • A new tab has been added to the bottom section, titled "What are the devs saying?". It allow you to view various dev's tweets from twitter.com. If you have the screen name of a Starbound dev which isn't in the list, please tell me.
    • The check box for the the 'run at startup' feature is now properly checked (or not) depending if the option has been activated.
    • 1.1.7.0 :
    • A small bug was fixed, in relation to a possibly incorrect path being given to a sound file when the application start with Windows.
    • 1.1.6.0 :
    • Fixed a crash when refreshing when some data were in the incorrect format. Syncing the event list (via the Tool menu) is recommended if you had a crash.
    • 1.1.5.0 :
    • Fixed an issue causing the application to ask for the administrative rights at every startup;
    • In the same vein, checking the box 'Run At Startup' shouldn't cause the application to crash if you aren't an administrator, instead asking you to run as admin to activate or deactivate this feature.
    • 1.1.4.0 :
    • Re-added the "Check for updates" option. May potentially cause trouble;
    • Lengthened the Auto-Refresh timer to a minimum of 2 hours, because holy hell, there's no updates on the roadmap.
    • Because of the aforementioned previous point, i am sad. :(
    • 1.1.3.0 :
    • Added an auto-updater;
    • Removed the "Check for updates" option. The application now automatically check at startup.
    • 1.1.2.0 :
    • - Fixed an issue concerning the 'Run at Startup' feature;
    • - Fixed an issue occuring when the application started minimized;
    • 1.1.1.0 :
    • - Fixed a freeze that could commonly occur when restoring the application from the tray.
    • 1.1.0.0 :
    • - Added a "Check for updates" option;
    • - Added a "Synchronize Events" option, which allow you to fetch from my website, altarapp.com, the latest tracked events list;
    • - Added a "Minimize/Close to Tray" option;
    • - Added a "Run at Windows Startup" option;
    • - Added a "Show balloon" option, which occur when a new event happen;
    • - Added a "Play sound" option, which also occur when a new event happen;
    • - The application now come with an installer;
    • - Various patching of potential bugs.
    Download

Current version : v1.4.1
    Download it here! (779 KB.)

Note #1 : If the application start and seemingly crash or disappear immediately from the taskbar, right-click the executable or shortcut and select "Run as administrator".

Note #2 : Chrome may tell you that the file is not commonly downloaded -- that is normal, nothing to worry about.

Note #3 : The application require the .NET Framework version 4.0.
    If you do not have it installed or are unsure, you can get it here : Download Framework (from microsoft.com)

If you want the source code, just ask and i'll give it! :D

In Conclusion

More updates are to come, please tell me if you find any bugs!

Last edited: Nov 10, 2013
  2. It looks Interesting... But: My Chrome Tells me It's potentially Dangerous software, what's wrong?
    EDIT: It was normal chrome alert for uncommon files, nothing wrong! :lolwut:

IReallyHateYouPeople likes this.
  3. Ariexe

Ariexe Pangalactic Porcupine

wait, so what is the difference between this and the roadmap? other than the seemingly more simple interface

EDIT: I was going to write "inb4bacon" but than I said tomyself "he would never post on this kinda thread' AND HE NINJA'D ME

4. sankto

Uh? That's weird, It definitely isn't... Hold on, gonna check some stuff. :S
    Well, it actually track changes. The official roadmap kinda doesn't. Also, offline viewing.

5. Seria-Myouna

Seria-Myouna The Last Moderator IRC Operator

[​IMG]

That doesnt mean anything except that its not a commonly downloaded file. Calm down people.

nababoo likes this.
  6. Nevermind, it's a chrome alert for uncommon files, I never saw such alert before but now I understand it's nothing :p

7. Ariexe

Ariexe Pangalactic Porcupine

I download all the time, and ignore these things. I got a good antivirus so I don't have to worry

8. sankto

Ah, that's first for me too, kinda had a mini-hearth attack here.

9. Hey how does it know Where is everybody working? :sarcasm:

10. Demitr1

Demitr1 Subatomic Cosmonaut

Awesome post! Going to try this out ASAP.
    There's no stopping the Bacon!

AzViz likes this.
  11. KirasiN

KirasiN Existential Complex

Very nice work. I probably won't use it (much) but it's well done and simple to use.

sankto likes this.
  12. sankto

Lots and lots of hidden cameras.

Nah seriously, the files i fetch got the locations on the map of all the peeps, AND the locations of all areas. With that, i guesstimate.

Guesstimate. They should add that word to the dictionary.

WeepingAngel988 and Bacon like this.
  13. darethen

darethen Big Damn Hero

thanx will use

sankto likes this.
  14. DakoShark

DakoShark Pangalactic Porcupine

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/guesstimate :V

But yeah, sounds like a fancy thing. Personally not going to use it cause I stalk the forums enough to know when something changes. :rofl:

15. SkrittKing

SkrittKing Starship Captain

Thanks, seems nice.

sankto likes this.
  16. sankto

Ah well, i'll be damned, it's already in! :p

Hm. I think next update, i'll add an option to minimize the app to the tray area (you know, the area in the lower-right with a bunch of apps you usually forget they were ever running), along with an option to start it on Windows Startup. I'd have a balloon popup with an optional sound when it find new things. :) Also, a proper installer wouldn't hurt, i guess.

17. Khataclysme

Khataclysme Big Damn Hero

THIS is awesome :D Thanks :)

sankto likes this.
  18. joaovitorbf

joaovitorbf Space Penguin Leader

This program is like awesomeness in a C#shell
    Epic!
    I really needed it :D

sankto likes this.
  19. sankto

UPDATE HOOO!
    A new version is available now, 1.1.0.0! Here's the changelog, copy-pasted from the first post.
    Now to find out how in hell can i change the title so it shows "[1.1]" instead... Anyone can help?

20. SkrittKing

SkrittKing Starship Captain

A forum moderator would need to do it for you. I'd suggest asking them to simply remove it, and just keep the version number in your first post.