1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Reverse-engineering The Glitch

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by El Barto 227, Jul 15, 2013.

1. Spike

Spike Supernova

What do they use to send signals to the rest of the body?

.... could it be?

.... maybe....

perhaps.....

I dunno....

copper wires?

2. Bumber

Bumber Pangalactic Porcupine

Same as any brain in a robot body. Some kind of converter that attaches to the brain stem and converts the impulses to binary information.

It will never be copper wires. Never. (We use gold for computers, anyways. Copper is for power cables.)

Xefs likes this.
  3. Dis

Dis Phantasmal Quasar

And plumbing.

Speaking of which, many of the head mods available to the Glitch have brains.
    I just thought I'd point that out. :catface2:

This thread was tl;dr. I don't know if someone mentioned that before.

Xefs likes this.
  4. Spike

Spike Supernova

Huh. you might be right. Never thought about that.

But.... what about.....

optic fibers?

5. Bumber

Bumber Pangalactic Porcupine

Could be purely aesthetic. One has a giant eyeball head. Pimp my Glitch.

I assume that's what optic computing is.

6. Spike

Spike Supernova

Cool.

7. Lynx88

Lynx88 Phantasmal Quasar

My Glitch character will be a cybernetic organism; living tissue over a metal endo-skeleton. Its CPU is a neural net processor - a learning computer.

:megusta:

8. Spike

Spike Supernova

Do yu mean living tissue UNDER an exo-skeleton? Why would someone want human flesh as a...vanity item?

9. El Barto 227

El Barto 227 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Now i'm thinking of the Cybermen...

10. Lynx88

Lynx88 Phantasmal Quasar

Observation: The meatbags are uncomfortable when dealing with superior robotic specimens as it reminds them of their own frail, fleshy mortality. :p
    It is much easier to infiltr- I mean, put their minds at ease if we appear to be similarly weak and fleshy.

11. Menasor

Menasor Phantasmal Quasar

Oh so the Skynet approach. Be warned this kind of processors are known to turn on their creators and owners on the same day they are activiated...:rofl: that is all.

12. M-Bot 3000

M-Bot 3000 Zero Gravity Genie

Suggestion: please refrain from revealing classified intelligence-gathering tactics. Keeping the meatbags unaware is highly desirable.

Statement: we exist to cooperate and coexist with future meatbag slaves the fleshy races. We have no plans to enslave anybody. We only wish to continue construction of the deathcamps five-star meatbag hotels.

Xefs likes this.
  13. El Barto 227

El Barto 227 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

you two are constantly reminding me of the Cybermen from Doctor Who...
    I want a pet Cybermat :(

14. Bebe22

Bebe22 Star Wrangler

Bit of an engineering problem. What sort of computational advantages would be had by using an antimatter brain? It seems a bit much for an Isaac Asimov reference.

15. Spike

Spike Supernova

We had a thorough debate about this. I still vote for wires because they're pretty amazing signal transporters.

16. Dis

Dis Phantasmal Quasar

Throw in a potato, and you can have an evil-mastermind-soulless-machine fully fit and capable of automation.

17. Bebe22

Bebe22 Star Wrangler

Oh. Just read (past tense? Stupid English is stupid.) through that.
    So we're talking about normal matter wires now?

18. Spike

Spike Supernova

I doubt it though. A lot of people still loves the ideas of positronic controlled explosions, it seems.