Relaxation mode

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by LordChickenMan, Jun 12, 2012.

?

Seems like a good idea?

1. Yeah i don't always fight i relax!

66.7%
  2. being dead is more relaxing...

33.3%
  1. LordChickenMan

LordChickenMan Zeromus

Listen to that while reading this.

So you are in starbound, tired of all the fighting and wane get some relaxation time and exploring without troubles,
    and then you go to the options menu and put relaxation mode, the music turns off, you hear birds chirping. You go into the garden to plant a flower maybe. You see a bunny hopping around and you go pet it. you hear hear the peacefulness and nothing can make you go stress out. You go for a walk around your planet, and relax.

The point about this thread is a relaxation mode, turn it on when you open the options mode and it turns the music off, the enemies dessappear, all you hear is the birds chirping and other nature sounds.

Layfonz likes this.
  2. Flixfox

Flixfox Big Damn Hero

That sounds so nice and would be so awesome when you're frustrated at something in the game or just stressed in life!

LordChickenMan likes this.
  3. Dynafols

Dynafols Black Hole Surfer

Hmm, perhaps on your home planet? Which I could imagine already being the case since you're the one in charge of it? I honestly don't see the point to much to have a relaxation mode when you can likely already do this on your own planet.

4. LordChickenMan

LordChickenMan Zeromus

yeah but it turns the music off? :D

5. Dynafols

But we can likely already do that.... most games these days let you change things like that while in mid-game.

6. LordChickenMan

LordChickenMan Zeromus

ooooooohhhh
    i forgot you can simply just turn music off -.-

7. Your Shadow

Your Shadow Contact!

Yeah, but then there would be silence, and not birds chirping all the time. So it would make sense if the home planet had birds chirping.

LordChickenMan likes this.
  8. Eight

Eight Pangalactic Porcupine

But we can't turn enemies off.
    This would be really good if you wanted to build something and not have to worry about enemies turning up and annoying you.

9. Witness

Witness Giant Laser Beams

Why is this in 'Planets and Environments'? It belongs to 'Mechanics'. I will ask moderator to move it.

Now, for the idea itself. I am ambivalent toward spending time implementing this thing (unless it really takes no time at all to do it) as I'd rather just have some planet's surface which is tranquil and safe (and for example, all the dangers are really underground or there are no real riches there to be gathered). Otherwise I can just see most people using this feature not to really relax but to work around some places intended to be challenging, hard and hostile by the developers. Not the most horrible exploit, at least not in single player game (in multiplayer it would be rather unfair and upset the balance, though) but an exploit nonetheless.

Also, if I'd turn such option on, I wouldn't like it automatically turn off the music since, as mentioned by Dynafols, there should be an option to do that manually anyway and some tunes may be slow, pleasant and peaceful on their own to add to the relaxation.

10. Dynafols

Thats called Game Pause. Want to not pause game and have no monsters? Go to your home planet.

11. Epicface

Epicface Heliosphere

12. Hate to be nit-picky, but moved your thread over to 'Mechanics', as you're not really suggesting anything about a specific Planet or Environment. It'd be more of an in-game option.

13. Breather

Breather Oxygen Tank

Umm, why don't you just do that IRL. :p

Epicface likes this.
  14. Epicface

Epicface Heliosphere

Cuz then you need to move....
    your eyes
    your feet
    your legs
    your torso... Omg...

15. Breather

Breather Oxygen Tank

OH THE HORROR! :cry:

Epicface likes this.
  16. Epicface

Epicface Heliosphere

OH NO, YOUR LETTING WATER OUR OF YOUR EYES!!!! OMGGGG

17. I would very much like to have places in Starbound where I could just go to relax. But I agree with Witness that such an option would be too open to exploitation. I think that there should instead be "Elysian worlds", always with a difficulty level of zero. These worlds would feature impressive-looking or cutesy life-forms, none of them dangerous, and resources which are pretty to look at, but not particularly useful in crafting (although they could be mined and used for decoration).

P.S. LordChickenMan, with your permission, I would like to create a separate thread about "Elysian worlds".

Breather likes this.