Relationships

Discussion in 'NPCs and Creatures' started by Snowy_Night, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Snowy_Night

Snowy_Night Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Now I know there are a couple other threads on this I just wanted to say how I would do it myself and how I think it should be.

Every male and female humanoid creature has a couple likes and dislikes put to their name from a list from a single large list of likes and dislikes. Of these 1 like and 1 dislike which were placed on that NPC will be made something they really dislike and something they really like.
    Example:

R = really likes/dislikes
    Name: Lily
    Race: Magnoid (some kind of fire race)
    Likes (which would be randomly picked from a list of likes and dislike)
    Guns
    R mechanics
    Flowers
    Dislikes (picked from same list)
    R Driving
    Fancy food
    Animals

A meter would fill the more you get them to like you starting off at about 20 and 30 if you saved that NPC as part of a random mission. Selecting things she likes would increase this bar and selecting things she dislikes would decrease the bar. It also would go up by nothing if something she does not like or dislike is picked.

Now, when talking to this NPC you would not know her likes and dislikes and would have to find out by asking her things and giving her gifts. This way you get to know the girl or boy and you feel like there is some form of a personality to them unlike in fable for instance, which was give them gifts till they like you.

Below are some things you could do for instance and all examples given as Lily being the person you are attempting to whew.

TALKING
    The first one would be talking, start up a convocation where the game would give you a list of things to say to the person, about five options some would be for what she likes and some for what she dislikes and also some would just be to do with nothing and just put in there. Each convocation would only consist of clicking one of these and seeing their reaction and reading what they say back. A convocation is worth 1 for a like -1 for a dislike, 3 for a really like and -3 for a really dislike.
    Example:

*Clicks on Lily*
    -So I saw this beautiful blue flower on the last planet.
    -I just got this sweet new hover bike made.
    -I just got this sweet new laser rifle made.
    -There was this pretty cool large lizard on the last planet.
    -I hate when it rains.

*in order responses Lily would make to these*
    -That sounds wonderful.
    -I don't really care for hover bikes.
    -I would love to try it out some time.
    -As long as it's not on this planet I'm fine.
    -Sometimes I like it.

DATING
    Now once their like bar gets to about 40 when clicking on them to talk another option beyond the usual random options comes called date. When you click date a couple options much like with the convocation comes up, you decide where to go. If you pick something they dislike they might right out refuse or go along, if they do agree to a date then the screen fades to the area you agreed on if one so dating locations are planet/space station specific. A date is worth 3 for a like -4 for a dislike, 5 for a really like and -6 for a really dislike. This is to make a date higher risk but higher gain.
    Example:

*select date option on Lily*
    -Why don't we go to the flower gardens?
    -Would you like to go to the observatory with me?
    -Let's go to a nice restaurant.
    -Want to go to the shooting range?
    -Want to go to the zoo?
    -Want to go for a drive?

*Lily's reactions*
    -Sure, sounds fun!
    -Sure, I guess.
    -erm... okay.
    -... Alright.
    -Sure, I guess.
    -No thank you.

GIRLFRIEND/BOYFRIEND
    Once the NPC's like meter gets to 60 another option will appear when talking to them, this time it would be the ask to be your girlfriend or boyfriend depending on the gender of the NPC you are talking to. But you must ask them and offer them a gift to increase your chances. Asking them with no gift you have a 50/50 chance of yes and no but with a gift they like you have a 60/40 chance and with one they really like a 75/25 chance, with a gift they dislike you have a 40/60 chance and with one they really dislike a 25/75 chance. Gifts could be anything you have in your inventory so if they like guns give them a sniper rifle or if they dislike driving do not give them your new jeep. If she says yes a new option when talking called break up will appear. Note that if they say yes then they will breaks up with you if their like meter goes below 50 and clicking break up will make it go down to 50 no matter where it was.
    Example:

*select ask Lily to be your girlfriend*
    *inventory comes up*
    -Select the rare flower you have
    -Select the keys to your new jeep

*Lily's reactions*
    -yes of course. *flower removed from inventory*
    -No... Sorry *gift remains in inventory -5 like*

LIVING TOGETHER
    Once the NPC's like meter gets to 75 and you are a couple then you can ask them to move in with you. This lets you take her with you and put equipment on her so she can fight alongside you and she will also go to your player's home if you do not want her to travel with you. This stage is all good stuff to work as a reward for the work you have put into this. Also another option will be unlocked replacing break up called kick out which much like break up will make her like bar go down to 50. Note that if their like meter goes down to 60 she will move out but stay with you as your girlfriend/boyfriend.

HAVE CHILDREN
    Once the meter gets to 80 and they live with you then when you are both at home you can select the option to have a child. If selected the screen will fade out and either a boy or girl child will appear which will look a mix between your character and the NPC you had it with. After having a child you have to wait for so long before you can have another one. When having a baby there is a small chance of having twins. Every time you have a child the chance your partner will say no increases:
    1st child - 90%
    2nd child - 80%
    3rd child - 65%
    4th child - 50%
    5th child - 30%
    6th child - 10%
    Every child after 6th - 10%
    Note that Twins count as one Child still on the list above.
    Also the cap on children should be around 10 (20 if you get all twins somehow). Reaching the cap the option to have a child would go away. If you kick your partner out after having children they will take some of the children with them if not all of them.

MARRIGE
    Ahh, the last one. You have gotten to know the NPC and have children (or not) and now after dating some more or talking you have reached 90 on the meter. Now to do this you would have to find a gem and a ring to hold it. Once you have your engagement ring then select the "will you marry me" option when talking to your partner and they will say yes. Once they say yes you select the ring to give them and then select where the wedding will be and how much money you want to spend on it. This is all just a nice reward for all your hard work you have put into this. Of course then you can select people to attend and each person you invite will bring a gift to do with what they are or do. Once married you are given the special clothes wedding dress and a veil or a wedding suit depending on your gender.

NOTES
    There should be a cap or timer on talking to an NPC, like only talk to them 4 times a day or only can talk to them once every ten minutes in real time.
    All options would be the same even if in a relationship with the same gender.

That has been my idea, which is quite a bit longer than I expected. I hope you like it and I would love your feedback.

Baku Vicen, Aer_, NeatRipper and 4 others like this.
  2. Wuzhles

Wuzhles Cosmic Narwhal

This whole thing. I am in a twist about how I feel about it, I would like to have friends, and others possibly want a girlfriend (or several, if someone's into that.).

On one side it's a nice thing to have for when the game is done and you just want to mess around with the universe. But the picture I get is that you'd spend a lot of time "babysitting" the NPC you chose to date.

P.S I love how much thought you've put into this!

PabloM likes this.
  3. Snowy_Night

That is why i thought of putting on a timer so you could go do a mission return and do a bit more. without feeling you have to just hang around nad protect the NPC.
    Thank you ^_^

Also idea to add, the mroe someone lieks you the bigger chance of them giving you a gift so having a bunch of friends makes sense and has a purpose beyond just immersion.

4. Wuzhles

Wuzhles Cosmic Narwhal

Now we're talking, my amigo! The better the friendship would be the more the gift would be worth. Like ammo at low but a valuable item at high.

5. doused

doused Scruffy Nerf-Herder

it would be interesting. but i dont think it would work.

6. Afterscore

Afterscore Weight of the Sky

I think it's a good game mechanic, however at the same time I would argue that Starbound isn't intended to be a dating simulator.

If this sort of mechanic is added I'm sure I'd use it as much as the next person but as far as suggestions go I personally believe the developers should focus their work on other aspects of the game first.

Baku Vicen and Daitenshi like this.
  7. Daitenshi

Daitenshi Giant Laser Beams

I agree. I mean, Mobs could have families and such but only to make you feel bad when you take an ion cannon to the planet

8. Sarzael

Sarzael Oxygen Tank

I made an more basic ver of your idea. Click on Family Sistem on my signature to see it.
    I think there should be a way to make your date to build a shop, and you get part of the benefits each day. (Look at my idea)

9. Snowy_Night

I agree it should not be a main aspect but if they have any kind of mechanic it should be a bit deeper than Fable but not as deep as say an actual dating sim or any number of Bioware games. I just love making friends in video games since it allows for you to connect to your character more since it makes your character feel more human since he can pick his friends and this system would give those people a personality even if only a very shallow one.

Baggizine likes this.
  10. Sarzael

Sarzael Oxygen Tank

Anyways, cool idea.

11. Amarth

Amarth Industrial Terraformer

Hmm, Complex system, I don’t see why in a "Sandbox" game this would not be accepted, no one is forced to take part in these activates. And allowing people to play this way will probably attract more people who want to invest time nurturing a single world rather then farting around space partaking in intergalactic shenanigans (like me).

Cool concept! i vote yes! have a Cookie and a Latte: :coffee::cookie:

12. Nife

Nife Void-Bound Voyager

No.

ZakkNoodle23 likes this.
  13. ZakkNoodle23

ZakkNoodle23 Master Chief

I think this sounds kind of unnecessary, the idea should be to interact with other players. This kind of relationship system is more suited to single player games.

14. Fox_with_rifle

Fox_with_rifle Aquatic Astronaut

its a great idea. but how about guys that don't like you. and npcs who dislike mixed races couples. aslo if you are n a mixed race couple its hard or easy to have kids like

I love you and would love to bring new life in this world but I am a (race name) and your a (race name)
    you gave up so much for me. most of the village hates you but what the heck lets bring life in this world.

. aslo the lost of a loved one. Now I feel if a npc I care about dies I go crazy at there killer it make me a munch better gamer but if you get temp better heath and damage but worst aim it will give it a more rp feel. aslo there to many games where you can't lay the loved npcs to rest just a simple system would work.
    aslo races like the robot one can reproduce and maybe don't understand love. a fun Easter egg or achievement to warm his cold steel heart. (maybe than can I don't know the ins and outs of that race)
    yes some of it sound crazy. just my thoughts.
    likely bad ideas but hey why not.
    but I really what to care for your child not any of that fable stuff I am sorry but I don't like the fable child system.
    in the reproduce of new life keep it clean not well you know(I trust that you will). hey does anyone like the fable child system?

15. Zeklo

Zeklo Heliosphere

I prefer just a normal GlitchShip, :rofl:, well made thread though I personally wouldn't want this in. Good luck with the idea though!

16. Baku Vicen

Baku Vicen Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Nice idea but I have mixed feelings about that.
    This will be a space sci-fi game, not necessary to expand it to dating level. But it's true that can result more immersive for single players.

BTW, if no one said it I should tell... 6 children?! Are you kidding, pal????