1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Regarding version 1.0 and ETA for next patch

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Lazogna, Aug 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lazogna

Lazogna Contact!

I didn't see this anywhere in the official forums so forgive me if it has already been said:

This was posted today in the steam forums (yes, I do use both).

Of course this may not be official, but it does offer some new information in terms of future development.

Starbug likes this.
  2. MysticMalevolence

MysticMalevolence Oxygen Tank

Saw this earlier. I'm just hoping it won't be 1.0 as in the end of beta. That would suck.
    This is official, seeing as a developer said it, unless another developer says otherwise.

...I wonder... would people actually download some kind of (Unofficial) Starbound Rampaging Koala Patch as a mod?

3. Lazogna

Lazogna Contact!

There are some games that really do require mod support to feel complete. darthmod for empire::total war comes to mind.

I hope this doesn't end up being the case, but I can't really rule it out either with current information.

Edit: Misunderstood you EvilDylan, I'd play it, but don't think it will exist.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
  4. Starbug

Starbug Guest

Given what looks like the shunning of poor old stable branch - The default Starbound experience - is getting until 1.0, then YES! Some stable compatible mod that is able to add in the good stuff from nightllies. I would play that. I like the framework to the game, but not the quests or progression in stable. Some mod in this area would be welcome. I don't know if it's possible though,

5. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

The question has been asked more times then the "Model K" can count.
    They stopped the business of release dates as - they never can accurately predict it.
    So it will be done when it is done. Simple as that.

GeneralMittens and Serenity like this.
  6. Lazogna

Lazogna Contact!

Nobody has mentioned release dates, not sure what you are responding to.

7. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

Your entire quote you took.

8. Lazogna

Lazogna Contact!

Erm...ok. I was just disseminating information. I didn't comment on when an update should happen, nor did I ask when it was going to occur.

We now know that the next patch will bring the game up to 1.0 and that it won't be coming in the near future, this is new information. I thought it might be pertinent for people who, you know, care about the development of this game. It'll be done when it is done, you'll get no argument from me.

Starbug likes this.
  9. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

This was something I kind of already knew. As was mentioned before somewhere.... Don't remember where. Plus it makes sense. I am one to await the unstable branch, which would be sooner than the official stable, still a ways away I would imagine. No biggie; I would rather them take their time and present it when they feel it is right time to present, after all it is their game.

If they are still going by the 3 stage thing, could be that it will be 1.0 being end of stage 1. Not sure what 1.0 for them would stand for, as that could mean anything truly. One thing certain, I would think it means for the most part mechanic complete. That is just a guess though. I'll see when it does come around.:)

Starbug likes this.
  10. Starbug

Starbug Guest

That is a good question. If they would share some information on that it would help address much of the criticism.

Tamorr likes this.
  11. Zuvaii

Zuvaii Heliosphere

They're not willing to hand out ETAs because people lose their minds if they happen to be a day late, but by pointing only to the Nightly builds which are basically dev-builds, it's going to come off to the average player who hasn't purchased that CF can't handle a schedule. It's one of the worst situations to be in. If they speak up and give an ETA, people will foam at the mouth if it goes wrong, but by neglecting any kind of ETA, the notion of abandonment sets in and only gets worse as time progresses. Being tight-lipped about the matter won't help things. Since 1.0 is still a way's off and how it's only a few months until a year passed from the Christmas Sale where so many bought it (making it well over half a year since any stable update -at all- including a minor bug fix), they need to say something concrete beyond "We don't know, but we got a Nightly build" because holy crap this is turning into a PR Nightmare that's only gonna get worse the longer it gets.

This is the time where having a dedicated PR/marketing person would really come in handy.

Serenity likes this.
  12. Starbug

Starbug Guest

I understand what you are saying, but it's not about an ETA (there isn't one), but more to see what the plans are now, and how that relates to the previously mentioned stages.

Asking for an ETA is not that useful, which is why I have never pushed for an ETA. That's just not workable. All that does is forces the developer to either meet or miss an arbitrary date that does nothing really for the game.

Knowing the intermediate plans, prior to this 1.0 stable update is of more interest that an ETA which isn't necessary or that helpful.

Someone pointed out to me that there is an unstable option in steam, but does anyone know what is on that. I was of the impression there are 2 tiers. Stable and nightly.

Serenity and Lazogna like this.
  13. Zuvaii

Zuvaii Heliosphere

The only way you're gonna see anything resembling plans is by touching the Nightly builds. You've got ideas they might mention in a devblog, sure, but they won't want to say anything concrete because of how it might cause horrendous backlash at this point. Like I said however, CF is in a nasty Catch-22 right now, something that needs an actual PR person to try and handle. Yes people who are good at that can be expensive, but so is a lawyer, and it's better to have one and use them only when absolutely needed, than to not have one at all during a volatile time such as this.

14. Jbeetle

Jbeetle Oxygen Tank

Unstable is just somewhere in between nightly and stable...much much much closer to stable.

Starbug likes this.
  15. Starbug

Starbug Guest

Cool, thanks! I will check that update build instead. I had no idea there was a third option to play the game. Will opt-in to that now.

16. Lazogna

Lazogna Contact!

AFAIK unstable has not been updated since the last stable build, it has been a month or so since I checked that though so things may have changed.

17. Jack_Kéther

Jack_Kéther Scruffy Nerf-Herder

more the time past more i'm worried about the "size" of that update i have a 100kb/s connection ...

18. Hefeweizen

Hefeweizen Starship Captain

Yeeesh... They're skipping Beta stages two and three, heading straight to 1.0 so they can cut and run, huh?

Anyone really surprised? Is it cool if I hand out "told you so"s when the game reaches release and is an absolute mess?

Kanthel, Nimeni and Pingeh like this.
  19. Jack_Kéther

Jack_Kéther Scruffy Nerf-Herder

who say's they will stop at 1.0? but yes it's a bit strange

20. Hefeweizen

Hefeweizen Starship Captain

Nobody. But after they exit Early Access what impetus do they have to continue developing StarBound if less than 2k people are still playing it and nobody new is buying (as is the condition of Starbound at the moment)?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.