Regarding Release & Beta, What You Should Know.

Discussion in 'Starbound FAQs, Q&A, and General Help' started by Arcadiax, Apr 14, 2012.

1. ChillySundance

ChillySundance Space Hobo

Thankfully there's a bunch of potentially addictive games being released in october to help us forget about Starbound (Pokemon XY anyone?) but I did pre-order just in case. I'm hoping I get to play the beta before Christmas.

WoxandWarf likes this.
  2. SimYouLater

SimYouLater Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Well, I know people have said in this topic before not to compare the two, but I'm playing the Terraria update as I type this. Hopefully they'll be able to get the beta out by Halloween before many games get released for the holiday rush...

3. BoboTheEpic

BoboTheEpic Big Damn Hero

I'm fairly certain they mentioned this at some point, stating that they didn't want to void savegames if at all possible, and that's one of the reasons they haven't released a beta, they are OK with resetting progress once a day, but many people would not.

WoxandWarf, Razyar and Katzeus like this.
  4. toki zecata

toki zecata Master Chief

Early stages of the Beta will most likely lose/replace your save files. This is unavoidable primarily because at that early stage the game versions may become incompatible . However, by the end of the Beta the game version should be close enough to the final product that your save games can carry over...

5. MoonSlap

MoonSlap Space Hobo

Does anyone know if the multiplayer would require port forwarding? If so which port would need to be forwarded?
    Thanks.

6. icepick37

icepick37 Phantasmal Quasar

that's usually only true if you're hosting, and it depends. It SHOULD be configurable, so you can find a port that works for you.

(speaking in broad strokes of course)

7. Active Link

Active Link Master Astronaut

They're goal is to make the game take care of as much as possible for you. Singleplayer would be kind of like local multiplayer, where if you're connected to the internet you can allow people to join your game at any time. You shouldn't need to worry about port forwarding.
    For sure, it'll be a lot easier than hosting in minecraft or terraria.

MoonSlap likes this.
  8. mxpsych

mxpsych Subatomic Cosmonaut

If this is going to be stickied someone should probably clean up all the info in the OP.

I didn't read through the whole thread so I apologize if this has been reported/answered already but

http://i.imgur.com/6r5Hf48.png

To my knowledge we know that estimated RELEASE is no longer 2013 (beta still is) so that should be updated to TBA or Unknown or 2014 or something less misleading. There may be more outdated information in it that I didn't notice, as well.

9. zachzman

zachzman Zero Gravity Genie

You know
    "Release date : 2013"
    Is not too specific...

10. linkthegamer

linkthegamer Master Astronaut

We know, we have pages and pages about how vague it is. The developers have opted to not give a specific date after missing many of there best guess dates (late 2012, Q1 2013, and summer 2013 if I recall). The current best guess given was by Tiy sometime in October saying: "Maybe November?" This is all that is known

11. mxpsych

mxpsych Subatomic Cosmonaut

I THINK he was replying to me (maybe?) though he didn't use the reply function. Maybe he's trying to say "release" doesn't necessarily mean full release. Either way he's wrong since they've clearly announced phases of beta which will take much more than a month to progress through. I'm too lazy to find the source but I know OmnipotentEntity, Molly, or one of the other devs has announced that full release would not be in 2013.

But yeah, you know, whatever!

12. Active Link

Active Link Master Astronaut

"Maybe November" was referring to the beta release.

13. zachzman

I was referring to the Beta and Full Release..

14. linkthegamer

linkthegamer Master Astronaut

Oh yeah, sorry, so used to talk about the beta here i didn't realize they just said release.

And yeah I know Full release is not going to be in 2013.

Yeah it is just vague.

15. Legacy95

Legacy95 Void-Bound Voyager

Wii would like to play StarBound with U. Let's not forget the possibilities of the Wii U GamePad. :) So many...

Attached Files:

zumba and Sylveh like this.
  16. Gene

Gene Phantasmal Quasar

Tiy has discussed this here.
    This should explain it. If you want to play at a stage where your character and world are likely safe to be preserved for future versions, wait until Stage 2.

17. Legacy95

Legacy95 Void-Bound Voyager

I'd play Stage 1 any time, and even restart my character. I mean, I'm to expect a couple of new things, so I'm used to it. :) When at least a release date for Beta has been estimated, I'll buy the game, as I don't want to be scammed of my money.

18. zachzman

Stage 1 will be so fun, actually.
    Frustrating, but fun.
    You get this one guy so far, then you get to start from scratch!!!
    Of course, still frustrating...

19. LunaCee

LunaCee Void-Bound Voyager

20. Cuynn

Cuynn Void-Bound Voyager

Holy smurf ! I hope it gets confirmed on Friday's update :-O