Raspberry Pi Port

Discussion in 'Other' started by BlackLaw, Sep 5, 2013.

1. BlackLaw

BlackLaw Intergalactic Tourist

I think that there will be a way to port SB to a Raspberry Pi, if the makers made a version for linux.

amialion likes this.
  2. SuggestionsBot

SuggestionsBot Autonomous Posting Device

Thanks for submitting a new suggestion!

Please remember to give your opinion on this suggestion by voting on our suggestions page.

3. Clockwork

Clockwork Master Astronaut

4. BlackLaw

5. Degraine

Degraine Subatomic Cosmonaut

The FAQ addresses the question of console porting. I assume the Pi would come under that if it can't run Starbound out of the box.

6. Forb.Jok

Forb.Jok Big Damn Hero

Unfortunately, the Raspberry Pi uses ARM architecture, so any x86 or x86-64 PC GNU/Linux binaries probably wouldn't run on it - at least natively.
    No idea if it would require any changes to the code to compile it for ARM though...

7. BlackLaw

Well, that's more or less the problem. Code = easily ported. Libraries = not.

I'VE JUST HAD A BRAINSTORM! What if you could make a big cluster of Pi's, and use the x86 emulator on them. Gahhh, it probably wont work. Just another crazy dream.

8. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

Even if it was possible, would it even be necessary? How many people would use it? Instead of porting the game to every platform under the sun, the devs need to focus on platforms that will work.

9. Degraine

Degraine Subatomic Cosmonaut

Well, if porting the server (or even the client) to the Pi was just a couple of afternoons' worth of work, by all means. I would love to be able to pick up a tiny box and take it somewhere to show off whatever I've made to others, or for a gaming session with some mates. There's certainly no way it could be run over my internet connection.

10. Evangelion

Evangelion Supernova

I came here expecting raspberry pie. Well then.

Degraine and Jonesy like this.
  11. Forb.Jok

Forb.Jok Big Damn Hero

Do we know what libraries they have used?
    Considering they're already targeting Windows, Mac OS and GNU/Linux, they must be fairly portable.

12. BlackLaw

I guess that you can find them in the download file?