1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

PS4 & PS Vita Editions of Starbound

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by The_Steam_Pug, Aug 21, 2014.

?

Will you get Starbound on PS4 and/or PS Vita

1. Yes on PS4

16.7%
  2. Yes on PS Vita

7.1%
  3. Yes on both systems

4.8%
  4. No I'll stick to PC

71.4%
  1. The_Steam_Pug

The_Steam_Pug Orbital Explorer

I've heard alot about this but there is no confirmed details about it so if you find any news about it post it here please!

2. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

That's probably because there are no real details, other than the fact that they're planned and probably won't be released until after the PC / Mac / Linux version is complete.

Serenity likes this.
  3. LunaFoxy

LunaFoxy Void-Bound Voyager

Well there's the PS4 trailer as evidence on the Playstation channel.

As it stands, the best version will be the PC version, as is with most games of this style. I feel the game would work quite well on a WiiU however, due to the touch screen.

Serenity likes this.
  4. Namiwakiru

Namiwakiru Black Hole Surfer

PS4 has a touch pad and built in pointer function, both can easily remove the difficulty of mouse driven inventory and building. After that it's just a platformer which works much easier on consoles and controller.
    PC gets mods but Sony is developing a workshop feature.

Not saying either is ultimately better beyond preference, just saying it's not as black and white as people seem to think

5. linkthegamer

linkthegamer Master Astronaut

People are still not used to the idea of mods on consoles since it is a pretty new development and for a while PC version of the games where the only real moddable/hackable versions outside of weird tricks like the Twilight Princess save load bug or using an Action Replay/Game Genie type deal.

Interesting to see the gap between PC and Consoles in terms of what you can do to games is closing.

Also a note: The trailer is a remix on the PC one. I wondered at first when I heard there was a trailer how they were going to show off the game for a system they were not yet working on for it.

Also wanted to note I will not be buying the game again (and do not own the consoles anyway) but I do wish future starbound console players the best.

6. Serenity

Serenity The Waste of Time

It's good you made this thread I have yet to see anyone ask this before. I personally will stick to my pc copy because I can enjoy mods ans smother gameplay. I hold nothing against those that want to get the console version but I pre ordered this so I am getting the pc version meaning their is no real point for me atleast to get the console version.

You are correct sir
    https://twitter.com/Tiyuri/statuses/478031503885365249

Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
  7. StarKaiser

StarKaiser Big Damn Hero

well i am eager to play SB on consoles and then just have to wait till bit more longer for the game to grow and take shape later :koala:

8. Mylos

Mylos Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Hitting consoles will be a nice addition but if it'll be anything like how Terraria works on consoles, I'll stick to PC.

9. The_Steam_Pug

Yeh there are web pages that say Starbound is set to release this year on PS Vita so who knows?!

10. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

Not the people who wrote the pages, for a start. That's not an official estimate. I'd be surprised if the full game (not the big update; that's likely this year) even releases this year on the current platforms.

Serenity likes this.
  11. The_Steam_Pug

PS Vita has a touch screen as well but it's the fact of having Starbound in your pocket that would be nice

12. The_Steam_Pug

13. Rissquette

Rissquette Subatomic Cosmonaut

Personally, I found the console versions of Terraria to be extremely clunky (in terms of controls.) At times, Starbound is very hard to control so I don't think I'd ever buy it on a console, but controls are not the only reason why.

The community has built quite a lot of unique and awesome mods, many of which I use. To me it would seem like a waste to throw away that kind of customization for something like more developer created exclusive console content... which probably would be the only incentive to buy the console version. Although development is going as slow as ever, I'm sure by the time Starbound is initially released, there will be so much content for it that we wouldn't need another version.

If you'd really like to take Starbound wherever you go, a laptop seems appropriate, as my toaster could probably run it, but, as far as I know, the Nvidia Shield is compatible with most steam games, so you'd probably be able to play it on that. Although, I'm not sure how optimized it would be. Again, only speculation, I don't own an Nvidia Shield, but if you can afford to buy a PS Vita and a PS4, I'm sure you could buy one.

Mylos likes this.
  14. FPSUsername

FPSUsername Phantasmal Quasar

I think that they should start optimizing the game, it has already enough blocks & items for now. More quests would be nice too and STEAM ACHIEVEMENTS!!!!
    I don't know why, but I like achievements, it is like having a goal in the game :D

15. linkthegamer

It might be the feeling of getting a reward for a task. Feels nice to get rewarded for a task.

16. Tymon

Tymon Cosmic Narwhal

Not to sound ungrateful, but I honestly don't care. I certainly can't afford the ridiculously overpriced PS4, and a PS Vita doesn't particularly appeal to me either. I'd really prefer if they focused on the PC version first, THEN sorted out if they want to put stuff on the console. All saying they're releasing it on these other systems now does is generate unnecessary hype in my opinion. The game isn't even out of stage 1 freaking development step...why are they already looking into expanding to other platforms?

17. linkthegamer

Keep calm, they are not actively developing for any platform other then the PC. The announcement about the PS4/Vita back before beta when I believe Sony asked them about porting the game and they PlayStation community gave them a resounding yes (Community here was MEH because we are mostly PC gamers). They have said they will not begin any work on the port till after the official release of the PC version.

Hope this helps.

18. ravenscroftranch

ravenscroftranch Industrial Terraformer

i dont realy think its worth talking about at this stage as its been a potential future port for a long time...

why was this topic ressurected and by whom is my question...

at this stage this is a breeding ground for disscontent in my book ...

and people will most likely say "wtf they arent even done with the pc version wth are they thinking"

not trying to stir the pot just saying ... the devs dont need anymore pushing for other ports at this stage in development they have their hands full...

its a good way to overwhelm them if people start wanting them to port it NOW.. if you know what i mean..

sure it would be nice for console gamers but its no simple task to port it to console different code different demands different controls...
    i am sure glad im not a developer ... i donot envy their job or position...

19. Shock

Shock Spaceman Spiff

Oh god, oh good god. PS4 and Starbound. Oh god. Oh shit. Someone get me a doctor, I'm going to vomit with joy.

PC always wins with games like these though due to modding support and all them goodies.

sotoa likes this.
  20. StarKaiser

StarKaiser Big Damn Hero

not sure if it was trolling but please refrain from doing it again :S and let me tell you that um we console players will be waiting for it after the PC release later on.. then we will get it later as well.. so we are usually patience with the developers here so take your trolling out please