Modding Help Problems with Custom Mod...

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Thomas Farfield, Oct 22, 2014.

1. Thomas Farfield

Thomas Farfield Yeah, You!

Due to some weird block on the site, I can't post my problem. I'm having problems with syntax, but CANNOT track it down. (I think)

Here's what I can post:

After tinkering around with the projectiles folder, I accidently killed the rest of the mod, and it crashes on startup.

Here's the error log:

Info: Writing Star::Configuration to '..\starbound.config'

Error: Exception raised during Root finishInitialization: VariantException: Improper conversion to double from string in get("power")

float Variant::tget<float>(String, float)

Variant::getFloat(String, float)

ProjectileDatabase::readConfig(String)

ProjectileDatabase::load()

Root::reload()

_Function_handler<void (), _Bind<ClientApplication :: preSplashInitialization()::{lambda()#1} ()> >::(_Any_data)

ThreadImpl::runThread(void*)

BaseThreadInitThunk

RtlInitializeExceptionChain

Info: Shutting down Star::Root

Error: StarException: An error occurred during loading: VariantException: Improper conversion to double from string in get("power")

_Function_handler<void (), _Bind<ClientApplication::preSplashInitialization()::{lambda()#1} ()> >::(_Any_data)

ThreadImpl::runThread(void*)

BaseThreadInitThunk

2. Code:
    Error: StarException: An error occurred during loading: VariantException: Improper conversion to double from string in get("power")
    You are using the string'd version of a float. Where at - it does not say... But considering the key is "Power" I would assume its a projectile. I'd start looking there.

To fix it you are looking for something like this:
    Code:
    "power" : "2.0"
    Which you would need to change to:
    Code:
    "power" : 2.0

AstralGhost likes this.
  3. Thomas Farfield

I've searched in projectiles folder as well as inside the basic .gun folder, and neither have any instances where it has "power" : "50"

It's all "power" : 50

4. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

He was giving an example.
    He was simply stating numbers should not be in quotes.

The error was a string was converted to a number. Which means something is in quotes which should not be in quotes.

5. Well its somewhere... just gotta keep on looking. You are checking your mod assets in your Mod folder though right?

6. Thomas Farfield

right, but the error report says that its failing to convert the string in get "power".

So i would think i should be looking at stuff that says power. But I'll try anyways.[DOUBLEPOST=1414155968][/DOUBLEPOST]
    I've looked through references, (looked at projectiles file and the files it has included) but i'm just really having trouble finding any numbers in quotes. I'll keep looking.

7. Exactly... You can see this for yourself in your the stack trace:
    Code:
    Error: Exception raised during Root finishInitialization: VariantException: Improper conversion to double from string in get("power")
    ProjectileDatabase::readConfig shows that it is infact a projectile causing the issue... I wish the log told us which one. Only problem is that it could literally be anywhere. Worst case scenario you could move your mod out of the folder and see if it runs. If it does its somewhere within that folder. If it does not run, then the problem lies outside of your mod - to which case you can simply delete everything and reinstall the game as a quick fix rather than spending hours on end trying to find the "power" key.

If you have a program like Notepad++ you could open all the config files and do a "Find in all open files" search for the word "Power" and just read through and make sure there are no issues.