1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Prevailing Romantic Customs Among Species

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by FakeGeekGamerGirl, Feb 27, 2015.

1. CmereSweetHeart

CmereSweetHeart Subatomic Cosmonaut

I've spent a lot of time wasting my time on the wiki reading npc quotes because I had nothing interesting to do today, and I would just like to state that starbound seem to have diversity in the personality of characters of the same race, such as some avians seem to fear florans and others seem to love florans

An Avian to Hyltol quote: "Just so you know, my husband's a Floran."

An Avian to Floran quote: "Blessed be, Floran menace."

But remember kids

"Avian chicks dig Floran accents." -Some loser bird talking to a glorious Floran

[DOUBLEPOST=1425350035][/DOUBLEPOST]
    On a gloriously handsome side note, I remember you said you were foreing, and I believe that you meant to say that you were talking nonsence, for "Talking sh*t" is the same as "sh*t talking" wich means insulting

By example

"I HERD YE WUS TALKEN SHET!!!???????"

2. Nibolas O Anelbozas

Nibolas O Anelbozas Spaceman Spiff

Oh i meant talking nonsense actually, thanks for the hint btw. where i live this expression mean exactly "Talking nonsense"

3. FakeGeekGamerGirl

FakeGeekGamerGirl Big Damn Hero

Well, Floran are a unisex species supposedly, though this doesn't say anything about genders or gender roles. So I dunno. I doubt it, though. I get the impression that it's a might-makes-right society which ends up being fairly egalitarian. If you're strong, of course.

And I've gotten the impression, from what Floran NPCs say to Glitch player characters, that some Floran have at the very least a strong kinship with Glitch. While this doesn't mean love, necessarily, I'm not ruling it out.

Instead I'm gonna have a cute little story in my head. ^_^

4. Nibolas O Anelbozas

The floran helped some glitches in the past, something about a usurper king

5. CmereSweetHeart

CmereSweetHeart Subatomic Cosmonaut

[​IMG]

Nibolas O Anelbozas likes this.
  6. ZallCaTor

ZallCaTor Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'll just say this...
    Pollination.

7. FakeGeekGamerGirl

I hear that for the collective Glitch but not the Outcasts, who also love Floran and Floran love back...

8. Nibolas O Anelbozas

Everyone loves glitch! they're the nicer ones

9. FakeGeekGamerGirl

I don't know if they're nicer but the collective aren't spacefaring at all as far as I know. They're perma-medieval and so they don't interact with other species near as often. Don't step on toes that much. When you beam down, though, their knights are always so mean. :(

10. Nibolas O Anelbozas

These ones are the "soulless-machines", the outcast ones are super nice, always saying nice things to me and how my feathers are pretty, fun fact is that the glitch was the first intelligent "life-form" my people made contact with!

11. Jerln

Jerln Oxygen Tank

I've heard that Florans and Glitch get along because metal isn't tasty.

Alkanthe and Nibolas O Anelbozas like this.
  12. RainDreamer

RainDreamer Existential Complex

Likely the Floran will share the same relationship with Novakid for the same reason.

13. Jerln

Jerln Oxygen Tank

Who knows, maybe Novakids taste like a fluffy marshmallow made of superheated plasma and hydrogen.

14. Ryumaru

Ryumaru Big Damn Hero

I don't know what it's like among rebel/free Apex, but given that the Miniknog is based heavily on The Party from 1984 I'd say that there isn't much... courtship (however you interpret that) among most of the Apex. I wouldn't be surprised if the government arranged marriages for the citizens based on which couples would produce the "best" offspring. Romance is probably a distant dream.

STCW262, FakeGeekGamerGirl and Nerva like this.
  15. Nerva

Nerva Parsec Taste Tester

This is pretty much the case.

FakeGeekGamerGirl likes this.
  16. FakeGeekGamerGirl

Yeah, this is what I was thinking. And any romance that does flourish probably ends like it did in 1984. :(

17. Nerva

Genetics are stupidly important to the Miniknog. They do not want any unsanctioned, unpredicted, unrecorded genetic combinations going on in the populace. It's important that every Apex child be a 'prodigy' by the standards of other races (able to play piano like a virtuoso by 8, able to recite calculus problems and give the solutions before age 13, other 'proof' of them being 'intellectually superior'), but they must also be docile, tractable, and unwilling to question authority. Unsanctioned breeding might allow genetics that promote inquisitiveness, inventiveness, ambition, and free-thought to enter the population base. This cannot be allowed.

Loyalist Apex relationships are no more free than any other aspect of their culture. Which is to say, they're not. They're state-run institutions, and if you're a loyalist Apex, you take your assigned mate and be happy. After all, the Miniknog has scientifically determined which mate you will be most happy with, citizen. If you are not happy, then your thoughts must be in error. Report immediately to Thought Reassignment, so that we can ensure that you will be happy.

SleepySquidd likes this.
  18. Bumber

Bumber Pangalactic Porcupine

Not content to stay in the LoZ series, Ganondorf turns out to be behind everything happening in Starbound.

Starbound: Hijacked by Ganon Edition

Alkanthe likes this.
  19. Ryumaru

Ryumaru Big Damn Hero

Now that I think about it, that's probably a point of similarity between the Apex and the Glitch - after breaking free of their respective societies, they probably dive head-first into romance and similar topics. After all, neither one of them previously had a choice when it came to who they would end up with. Apex, we've already covered, but Glitch have the whole hive-mind thing going on and dictating what roles they take, even if those roles can change from day to day.

... you know, now I wonder if free Glitch actually get really nervous and flighty regarding actual romance. Suddenly, it's something they have no idea how to do because they no longer have instructions and their partner no longer knows the other half of the script. Suddenly, everything can go wrong. Horribly, horribly wrong.

FakeGeekGamerGirl and Nerva like this.
  20. Nerva

Glitch actually have it a bit easier than Apex because the simulation attempts to simulate successful and unsuccessful courtship, romances and relationships. Since they remember their life as a drone to the communal mind prior to becoming an Outcast, they may have some of this simulated romantic material to work from. Of course, that creates its own host of problems, as their pickup lines are going to be positively medieval and, as you said, they have no idea how the other person is going to react, since there's no hive-mind determining the outcome ahead-of time.

Still, this doesn't discourage all outcast Glitch. If you're playing as a female Glitch, one of the Outpost Glitch, the one wearing a black cape and no helmet, with the giant wired monocle-eye, will attempt to score a date with you. "Friendly. Let's go out for some oil together, later."

STCW262 likes this.