1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Prevailing Romantic Customs Among Species

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by FakeGeekGamerGirl, Feb 27, 2015.

1. FakeGeekGamerGirl

FakeGeekGamerGirl Big Damn Hero

I've been wondering what, if any, romantic customs there are for the different species in the game. I'm well aware that Floran engage in a form of posterior outercourse, but beyond that the lore is quite light. I'd really love more on these people and their societies.

That said, I understand that a species would likely have more than one culture (even the Glitch given the outcasts) and thus more than one agreed upon notion of romantic expression, so I suppose I'm asking for prevailing forms of romantic, platonic, et cetera love.

Eg: Are Novakids, on account of their flighty, whimsical nature and short attention spans less predisposed to long term relationships?

Are Floran typically polyamorous and engage in mass pollination?

Do humans write erotica of themselves and sexy aliens? (In-game, meta-game is *cough* yes)

How does each species view interspecies courtship, for that matter?

also

do, uh, Floran have lips? Just for academic reasons.

demanrisu, Jonesy and Snowpup like this.
  2. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

I recall that a lot of the Avian NPC quotes are (or border on being) flirtatious. This includes unique lines towards other races; lines towards Florans and Hyltol imply that female Avians are attracted to and can marry Florans. Others, towards Humans and Glitch, can be interpreted as the Avian hitting on the member of the other race. There are also some lines from Apex towards Humans that go this way.

daveboy2000 and TrueEdge like this.
  3. CmereSweetHeart

CmereSweetHeart Subatomic Cosmonaut

I thought it was obvious enough that that's the avian reproduction

I mean

Ever heard of cloacas?

aka

bird's magic pooper

aka

Cloaca butt love

EDIT: Also heres a random picture I got from google that can somewhat help you understand what a floran's mouth look like

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd214/lxc2000/starbound_fanart_floran_02_zps5c4d6a58.jpg

They don't have lips

Obviously

RE EDIT: Be aware that this is simply a lazy fan art that lacks of details inside the mouth, if you are curious, the interior of a floran's mouth is a large amount of pointy teeths (possibly red to all florans)

RE RE EDIT: yes they do have a tongue if you were wondering since I didn't specify

Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
  4. Nibolas O Anelbozas

Nibolas O Anelbozas Spaceman Spiff

Lips for tearing the flesh apart...by my feathers... but well, think with me, humans sexualise everything, and can think that an avian and a floran can look sexy, so the opposite probably happens...idk[DOUBLEPOST=1425086853][/DOUBLEPOST]
    But did you see the actual size of their tongue?

5. CmereSweetHeart

I did not, but a lot of players believe that florans have long tongues with a somewhat pointy tip

6. Nibolas O Anelbozas

In that case wouldn't be "fun" in any relationship between other species... but i doubt that floran show affection by kissing since they got no lips

7. CmereSweetHeart

Well it depends

some people finds large tongues attractive

Nibolas O Anelbozas likes this.
  8. Nibolas O Anelbozas

But a long ponty tongue i- Oooh...OOOOOooh i understand now, good point

daveboy2000, Wulf_Oman and Auraknight like this.
  9. CmereSweetHeart

I said SOMEWHAT pointy

it's kinda pointy

but getting poked by it is not gonna hurt

since it's a tongue

and it's not fully pointy

10. Nibolas O Anelbozas

Iam dumb, sorry i'm dumb, for some reason i was thinking in a hard pointy tip, like a stick or something, sorry

11. CmereSweetHeart

Stabbing someone in the eye with a pointy tongue

that'd be weird

but I doubt there isn't a character in some anime who can do that

Wulf_Oman and Auraknight like this.
  12. Nibolas O Anelbozas

Tao pai pai from Dragon ball did kill someone with the tongue!

13. Darkarma

Darkarma Phantasmal Quasar

Don't forget ceremonial mounting of trophy heads on pikes as a show of desire between floran

14. CmereSweetHeart

I doubt trophies are related to romantism, I'm pretty sure trophies are a way of gaining the respect of your kin

15. Darkarma

Darkarma Phantasmal Quasar

Exchanging heads for them is like giving flowers for us,

16. CmereSweetHeart

I doubt they even exchange heads, they probably keep the head or throw them in the giant bone biomes

17. Nibolas O Anelbozas

just like the flowers!

18. CmereSweetHeart

Except we don't keep the flowers we give the flowers

unless you have no one to love

actually you wouldn't have the flowers in the first place

19. FakeGeekGamerGirl

FakeGeekGamerGirl Big Damn Hero

While initially skeptical of the Floran reproductive ritual, I remembered that whiptail lizards, all female, engage in sexual behavior to ensure reproductive success. I mean, yeah, it's still silly, but it's whatever honestly. It's not to say that the Avians couldn't have developed something similar.

I mean, I would imagine most humanoid species would engage in bringing the face close as a form of affection (or being allowed to for that matter). Lots of animals bump heads as a sign of affection and whatnot. Why not the same with bird and plant people and their tushies?

I guess the real thing I'm getting at is that it's been said that Floran don't derive sexual pleasure from the mating ritual. What I'm not sure of is whether or not Floran are romantic/platonic/sexual/etc in the human sense, I guess. And the other species, but largely them since they're supposed to be the most "alien."

20. Nibolas O Anelbozas

Well, their concepts are highly different from ours, their ideia of "romantic" could be the mate bring a hunt or...a head