1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.

Preorder Price Vote!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Irrelephant, Mar 26, 2013.

?

What is a fair preorder price?

1. 5.00 Dollar 3.89 Euro

24 vote(s)
    2.7%
  2. 7.00 Dollar 5.44 Euro

12 vote(s)
    1.3%
  3. 10.00 Dollar 7.78 Euro

171 vote(s)
    19.2%
  4. 12.00 Dollar 9.33 Euro

121 vote(s)
    13.6%
  5. 15.00 Dollar 11.66 Euro

397 vote(s)
    44.6%
  6. 20.00 Dollar 15.55 Euro

124 vote(s)
    13.9%
  7. 35.00 Dollar 27.22 Euro

10 vote(s)
    1.1%
  8. 50.00 Dollar 38.88 Euro

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 60.00 Dollar 46.66 Euro

23 vote(s)
    2.6%
  10. No preorder

9 vote(s)
    1.0%

Preorder Price Vote!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Irrelephant, Mar 26, 2013.

1. Irrelephant

Irrelephant Big Damn Hero

Tiyuri So guys, what do you think would be a fair preorder price in dollars?

Tiyuri again wants our input! This time on what would be a fair preorder price. Here are some options:
    To be fair, the option for no preorder is there, too.

Edit for statistical analysis:
    As of 6:09 pm EST with the poll running for 5 hours, I have realized that the way the poll is set up may weaken the votes of people who would like a Starbound pre-order to be under 15$. Reading the posts, this is usually because the voters seem to think that 15$ is a good release price, and a pre-order should be for less money than that.

With the total amount of votes at 192 (disregarding the 2 that have voted against a pre-order), the voting falls into:
    Less than 15$: 73 voters
    15$: 90 voters
    More than 15$: 29 voters (note, 80% of these votes are for 20$)

Average:........................................14.65$
    Average adjusted for outliers:......14.18$
    Mode: .............................................15$
    Median:...........................................12$
    Median adjusted for outliers:.........15$
      Hugt, AlphaMongoose, AIex and 5 others like this.
    • shardival

shardival Pangalactic Porcupine

I think 12 $ is fair. Regular price should be about 15 $.

Buuuut, Tyi's tweet might also mean, that they are considering 15 $ as regular price and 10 $ for preorder (without goodies).
      • Rekalty

Rekalty Friend of the Night

If pre-order is at a discounted price, I would say 15$ Pre-order, 20$ Retail.
        • Katzeus

Katzeus Wiki Administrator Forum Moderator

Agreed
          • Irrelephant

Irrelephant Big Damn Hero

I was thinking those were just common numbers for steam games, not what they were considering; those are good prices, though.
            • sasquatchjc

sasquatchjc Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I feel like $10 should be the discounted pre-order, and $20 for the game when it's released. That way it seems more enticing to go for the pre-order and hopefully will bring in more sales early on in order to help the developers a bit
                puppets and sshado like this.
              • Soup

Soup Giant Laser Beams

Exactly that. I think anything less would be underselling the game.
                • Scourger

Scourger Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Agreed.
                    Rekalty likes this.
                  • Rekalty

Rekalty Friend of the Night

I agree with you, agreeing with me!
                    Heck, I would gladly play more, if the option was given. If not, I'll just buy several copies and give them away.
                    Considering that most AAA Titles cost 50-60$ but only offer 10-20ish hours of none-replay-able gameplay (at best!), Starbound would offer you... well, hundreds of hours of gameplay, having it only cost 15-20$ seems like a steal.
                    Sadly, game prices are not related to the amount of content and hours of gameplay they offer.
                    • DakoShark

DakoShark Pangalactic Porcupine

Personally. I think $15 for the pre-order and $20 for the retail, because then there isn't a massive stretch between the two and people aren't going to start raging cause they didn't get it for dirt cheap just cause they didn't pre-order. $15 is fair, I mean I'd pay more then that even, but with that price I will pre-order as soon as I can without any thought about it. :rofl:
                      • Hellwege

Hellwege Gotta catch 'em all! Mk.2

15 preorder. 20 retail
                        • DNAY!

DNAY! Ketchup Robot

15 $ preorder, 20 $ retail sounds good to me. That's still a lot cheaper than some other games out there...
                          • Sid_M

Sid_M Industrial Terraformer

You guys make me a little disappointed, for the fact that you are lowballing the developers. They have been working on (what is sure to be) a fantastic game, and they deserve more than a measly $15. I think that their work should be paid for by around $35. Think about how long they have been working, and how hard. They should see the fruits of their labors, not barely break even.
                            • shardival

shardival Pangalactic Porcupine

But then less people gonna buy it. We are all hyped for this game - but most customers will be from outside of this forum. They can't be scared off by "high price for some game with pixel graphic". :)
                              • Pigeon

Pigeon Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Refer to the tweet where Tiy asked if we wanted 10-15$ so don't start being rude please.
                                  sshado, Leokins and Kitty Box like this.
                                • 15$ dollars sounds like a solid cost, and I'm not saying that to be cheap.
                                  It's an indie game, and indie games are fairly low-priced, becuase of the lack of publicity they often get.

(yeah, yeah, there ARE exceptions)
                                  • jacksnight

jacksnight Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I would happily pay 20 bucks for a preorder of any type, although i think it should be more for full release. I just think for all the content in this game they deserve to charge more...

Somewhere in the neighborhood of........

[​IMG]
                                    • Sid_M

Sid_M Industrial Terraformer

I'm not being rude. How am I?
                                      • Luna

Luna Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Just, like, whatever price it'll be at release?
                                        "Pre-order" doesn't imply it'll be cheaper/more expensive- just that you're buying it before it's available and you'll get it once it's released.

Most games that have pre-orders with bonuses are full priced anyway.
                                          Rainden and Silverduke1 like this.
                                        • Marokutai

Marokutai Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Bah I voted in the wrong mind set, I think $15 is perfectly fine