1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED Pony Race

Discussion in 'Races' started by Chandrak, Dec 10, 2013.

1. Chandrak

Chandrak Phantasmal Quasar

Amusingly, I did have just enough time to add in Dash's hair just now and test it (not like I had to do more than just drop the file in and add a single entry to the species.config). So here's the new link for those who don't want to wait for a proper update ;)

It adds in the hard-coded hair as fem11.

Download IK1.4a

2. Rarity

Rarity Pangalactic Porcupine

Hm. It appears that the ponex won't be able to blink because the eyes are not actually part of the head, but an additional resource to the body. Like a Layer. Unless the emoticons are added as a layer over top of everything else, it will be impossible to fix.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2013
  3. Veav

Veav Scruffy Nerf-Herder

That's to enable a variety of eye shapes. We could have it be part of the head at the cost of identical eye shapes for everyone (male/female different of course).

4. Heliostorm

Heliostorm Phantasmal Quasar

So if you remember me from page 3 or so, I started on that quadrupedal pony mod:

[​IMG]

I'd like to ask for permission to use some of Ponex's art assets (and maybe code), if you don't mind. The hair, eyes, and ship in this screenshot were ripped from Ponex for testing purposes, but I will happily remove those if you do not approve.

AuburnFox, Snowfyre and Sparksol like this.
  5. battlesmit

battlesmit Void-Bound Voyager

Any ETA on when that Quad pony mod will be available for download?

6. Snowfyre

Snowfyre Scruffy Nerf-Herder

that is looking awsome, though the tail is too low

hope you will be able to get the armors and clothing atleast visible in the future

7. Heliostorm

The tail thing was already fixed before I even posted the screenshot :p I literally only started this a few hours ago, mind you.

I currently don't see a way to make normal armors look decent without having some fancy custom frame files that trigger with a specific race. That may actually be possible with scripting, but I haven't looking deeply into that. My plan for armors is to add custom armor and clothing to be used as vanity items so that normal armors can still be worn, just hidden.

8. Snowfyre

Snowfyre Scruffy Nerf-Herder

that works for me, most of the armors in starbound look.. odd or unusual and i tend to use clothing or some of the better armor parts in the vanity slots, will you also make blank vanity items like those in terraria?

9. Zantek

Zantek Void-Bound Voyager

Fun Fact: I have a template for race respawn animations which people could could use to make their own custom animations. it would be basically modifying existing respawn animations into different ones, but it would give you six different lengths of time to make an animation. Might see about making a Ponex respawn soon. Also, anyone think I should post the templates on the site?

10. Heliostorm

Someone else already has a mod that does that, I'm pretty sure.

11. LastAi

LastAi Void-Bound Voyager

i want to see how it animates...
    also what are your plans for armor, that will be a hell of an undertaking

12. Chandrak

Chandrak Phantasmal Quasar

I can't give it, because the sprites used in the mod are not mine. I got explicit permission from DShou at deviant art to modify his RPGMaker sprites for this. As they are not mine, I can't very well give permission.

You could, however, ask him yourself. Its my understanding that he allows people who ask as long as they give him credit. The ship is Heartstrings' work to my knowledge. In fact, most of the mod is compiled (with permission) from bits and pieces of other people's work. (I need to update the credits section again actually - I mislabled the songs' sources). I mostly just mess with the colors and do the coding.

Good luck with quadrupeds though, if you decide to try and do the work to make armor and items work. Its a hell of a job - theres TONS of stuff you'll need to do to get it look even remotely decent in action.

Kawa likes this.
  13. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

That's what I kept trying to tell CrystalWolf :)

14. Rarity

Spent a great deal of time trying to fix the blinking issue. Unfortunately, we're at our wits end here. As I said in an earlier post, I'm not sure it's fixable with the way eyes are done. There are still some issues that need remedied; however

- Tails: Because they are part of the head they get removed with some helms. This can be solved by allowing the person to mix and match tails and making them separate from the hairchoices. This would require removing the eye slot during character creation or some other degree of customization. I'm not sure, but I find the missing tail to be very distracting. It may be possible to add a completely new category to the character customization specifically for this, but I don't know how that will work. Should experiment I guess?

- The ship: The ship doesn't have a flame on the back of it. It looks like it's being propelled by nothing. I propose something more fitting of a pony like a rainbow or something. Barring that, a simple ship propulsion flame will work. I highly suggest working on the inside of the ship because it is just a copy/paste job of the human ship. You can use a different background block and add some more interesting light sources to it, like the Hylotl ship. That ship is probably the best ship because of it's unique use of items and block backgrounds.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2013
  15. Veav

Veav Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Well, I was toying with it today myself. Don't tell everyone that or it'll never get done. ;)

16. Heliostorm

Figure anything out? I've been trying to see if it's possible to customize the humanoid renderer, but I suspect it's hardcoded in the binary.

17. Rarity

Anyone able to do blinking? I've given it a shot and even looked into the frame files to see if I could order the frames and put emoticon to render on top of everything else, but I can't. I admit; however, that I'm no expert on this stuff.

18. Veav

Veav Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I did some prodding at that. As far as I can tell it's very firmly face layer, emote layer, body layer, any body features/masks layer, clothes layer. Which kinda sucks because that means we're limited to two faces per race, one per gender, that we can emote over. (Tried and failed to get more genders in, too.) So basically, if we have any kind of eye selection, it borks emotes. :(

The only other idea I can think of is terrible - using the color replacement to render the eyes in different ways on different color schemes. It'd work, but the permutations... oh god

Theoretically we should be able to add more frames or change the dimensions, but not without cocking it up for all the existing assets. So I'm leaving that as a last resort and trying to be clever with what we've got.

Rarity likes this.
  19. Heliostorm

Do you know where the layering order is defined, or did you figure that out by experimentation?

I suspected as much. What I've been trying to do is to create a custom .animation file, like the bosses have, but it doesn't seem possible to assign to the player.

20. Veav

Veav Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Pure trial-and-error. Started setting each layer in turn to all black and seeing what showed up.