1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED Pony Race

Discussion in 'Races' started by Chandrak, Dec 10, 2013.

1. Chandrak

Chandrak Phantasmal Quasar

Welcome to the Ponex Race Mod!

A mod made for MLP Fans.

[​IMG]

A common legend among the Ponex is that they were once human. Long ago, in a time of intolerance and hatred, a group of scientists who were disgusted by humanity's tendency towards hatred and racism decided that it was time to break away from humanity to form a new society, one built upon the premises of friendship and tolerance.

These scientists built themselves a machine to genetically infuse themselves with the spirit of an animal known as a pony. Having thus altered themselves, they then built vast colony ships and headed out into the stars to create a new, brighter cilivization. One where, they hoped, all would welcome, and where friendship would thrive for its own sake.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Welcome to the Ponex mod! This is a mod designed to add a new race to Starbound, designed with fans of MLP in mind. If you aren't the sort who like the show, then this mod is not for you. It is not desined at all to fit into the lore of the game, but to add a fun, silly element for people who want it. It may even, eventually, diverge from Starbound's SciFi roots and add in some magical elements depending on how creative it becomes possible to get with modding the game, so keep that in mind.

This mod is a work in progress. Expect fairly frequent updates, as I get alot of suggestions and submitted materials for inclusion. If you'd like to help out, what I particularly need is sprites for armor, weapons, and furniture, as I am not a particularly good artist beyond being capable with modifying existing work. Also, it is possible that I will change something major within the mod without too much warning, so ALWAYS back up your characters before installing updates to the mod, because many things like hairstyles and coat colors are still subject to change, and altering them may break your character, or at least make it look wierd.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Current Download Version: 1.6 (Offended Koala)
    Downloaded Here! If you already have the unofficial O.K. Patch from the thread, no need to download this - wait for 1.6 later today, which will be adding in some new stuff, like proper spawners and codex entries!

Changelog included in the file.

Screenshots Below​

Not a lot here just yet, because the mod's still a work in progress (and because I removed the outdated ones), but if you end up with a great screenshot you'd like to share, let me know and I'll add it here!

The FriendShip:
    [​IMG]

A Note On Requests:

I DO take requests for specific hair/coat colors, as theyre relatively easy to include. If you would like something included, please provide me with an image of some kind for a reference. However, I won't make any promises as to whether or not something will work (See below).

Keep in mind that Starbound uses a lot of colored lighting effects, and due to the way the palette swapping looks, and the nature of pixel art, a lot of coat color combinations don't work particularly well, especially when it comes to using the exact color palettes from the show. In most cases, I've actually had to change the colors a bit simply to make things visible. The reason for this is that in many cases in starbound, color lines are only the width of 1 pixel - which is great when colors have high contrast, but really really bad when they're almost the same. Some pony coats were basically impossible to get even remotely close to the right colors and still look good at all (such as nightmare moon, who has a coat color in at the moment but it looks AWFUL imo, and her hair color was impossible, it just looked all solid blue-black).

So while I'll look into requests for colors, I won't make any promises. If you see colors added in the changelog, and you don't see yours, its not because I ignored you, its because I couldnt get it to work to my satisfaction.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2013
  2. Razorleaf

Razorleaf Phantasmal Quasar

oh I'm definitely gonna install and run that.

3. Heartstrings

Heartstrings Giant Laser Beams

Whee! Sorry I didn't get back to you. I'm playing Fall From Heaven with the modmod Fall Further, and didn't see it. We still need race-specific armor and weapons, and possibly clothing.

4. Chandrak

I love FFH. I've played that on and off for years with some friends :) Took us forever to actually even consider playing Civ V regularly because it was rubbish compared to FFH. Its better now with the expansions, but FFH is still better than Civ V, haha.

We've played a number of modmods for it. Fall Further and Master of Mana among them.

Yuni and Heartstrings like this.
  5. DXLelouch

DXLelouch Void-Bound Voyager

nice
    just like gundams(eventually)
    this was inevitable

6. Heartstrings

Yeah. I rarely finish a Civilization 4 game and tend to abandon them, but when I do I utterly crush everything. Maybe we can play sometime. I love the Kazad.

7. Jiggle

Jiggle Orbital Explorer

Why are the breasts on their chests? I thought they had crotchtits.

8. Chandrak

Lol no kidding. Once people figure out how to mod the mech techs, I bet there will be gundams, haha.

9. Snowfyre

Snowfyre Scruffy Nerf-Herder

aw was at least hoping for them to be quadruped rather than anthro
    at least they don't look too bad, though I'm not liking the ship

10. Heartstrings

Sorry to hear that. We had to do biped, otherwise we'd have to remake every armor in the game to fit them. Probably won't happen.

11. DXLelouch

DXLelouch Void-Bound Voyager

Terraria did it
    but it took them a Loooooonnnngggg time
    besides just assume their aliens

12. Heartstrings

Well, actually, the WIP lore states that the ponies are exiled bronies from an uprising on Earth long ago.

13. Chandrak

Basically what Heartstrings said - the game is actually capable of it, but its a lot of work; theres about 8 or so frames per animation, and plenty of room actually, so you CAN make non-humanoid races, but there is no location binding system for armor - in order to make it look decent, you'd have to either:

A) Make a special version of every item in the game
    B ) Mod the game so everyone is non-humanoid.

Because otherwise the armor will just float there in front of you or youd have a chestplate covering your face or something wierd like that. The game makes your character by displaying stacked-up png files - ie. it places your body, then your head and arms, then your hair, and then your armor, and whichever is on top for each pixel is whats displayed, with each part being given a specific coordinate to display at. So you'd have to not only make quadruped armor, but figure out exactly which pixel to place it at and hard-code it into the items.

You could do racial armor that way, but anything in the game that wasnt hand-made by us would look bizarre. Unless magically someone who wants to convert every armor in the game, most people will stick with humanoids or tauroids.

Heartstrings likes this.
  14. Chandrak

Updated the OP with some new hairstyles/colors.

15. Razorleaf

hm... just a bit of feedback, but you may want to push the head forward a few pixels. seems like they're always leaning their head back currently.

16. Heartstrings

That's just the pose, actually. The standard thing looks fine.

17. Doctor Ragnarok

Doctor Ragnarok Former Staff

I came to this topic expecting jokes, and instead I am pleasantly surprised by a well done product. Keep up the good work!

creepwolf, Pawtendo and Heartstrings like this.
  18. Razorleaf

alright fair enough.

19. Chandrak

Yeah, it does kind. Part of that is the personality in the screenshots, though. But ultimately, its because if I don't the hair is almost entirely covered by the body - the arms actually stick out quite a bit and cover most of the hair image, and there are hardcoded limits (that I dont know how to change atm) on how big a give part of character creation can be (for instance, I had to edit rarity's tail to be shorter than the image I had, because it actually was too long and got cut off by the hard limit)

Edit: Here's a different pose in a second, so you can about the different pose though. Most of the poses are actually like that, with heads shifted back a bit.

[​IMG]

Heartstrings likes this.
  20. Razorleaf

I see. well I suppose there's nothing that can be done about it for now then. Still waiting for a download lol.