Pollution and Radiation

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by Alexblex, Apr 1, 2012.

1. Alexblex

Alexblex Scruffy Nerf-Herder

The Idea
    Pollution and radiation would be two different factors affecting your colonies, bases, and entire planets. They would have different effects some that can be reversed easily some that could not. They each would be caused mainly by sentient interaction.
    Pollution
    This factor would be caused by burning of objects for energy, burning fuels for cars, excessive amounts of trash heaps, over fishing, over hunting, etc. It would be mostly reversible and would effect the entire planet. Different things could be used to count such as air, water, land quality. The air in a heavily polluted area would be hazy hard to see and would add a de-buff to your character. Water would become murky and most creatures in it would adapt or die off if you haven't hunted them into extinction. The quality off land would turn most dirt into sand, which would turn forest into deserts if you hadn't already chopped them down completely. Things that would fix this include using dark matter and stuff to dispose of trash properly, putting in massive air or water treatment places. Having soil converters put into places were forests were then replanting them. To be in the air would require a gas mask.
    Radiation
    This would be also possible without sentient interaction as long as there was radioactive material already there.Things that would raise levels of radiation include nuclear reactors, nukes, interplanetary missiles, nuclear rockets, fission reactors, etc. The effects of this would be very hard to reverse. The air that is toxic would become greenish and would eat away at buildings and your character it would also cause mutations to flying creatures and some land animals. The water would be greenish looking and sludge like also it would eat away at the land and also would cause mutations to the creatures that drink it or live in it. The land would be covered in sludge like solid stuff that would kill most creatures and mutate the ones that lived it. Ways to check the radiation levels would be through a Geiger counter. Air, land, and water would have to fixed with special future chemical that would go all the way to the core of the planet and would become less toxic the more that's applied. To walk here you would require a has-mat suit.
    Post any ideas if you have any.
    Items
    The items that would go along with this would be as listed.
    • Pocket Geiger Counter
    • Has-mat suit
    • Gas mask
    • Various filters
    • Cleaning chemicals
    • Soil conversion mechanisms.
    This feature would be in options so you don't always have to have this feature.

2. Mr.You

Mr.You Void-Bound Voyager

The idea of having machines keep the land safe is a great idea, but wouldn't it be tedious to create a machine on each planet you had visited and (if there maintenance) require a lot of material to do so?

xboy777 likes this.
  3. Alexblex

That is true I guess you could have it to were you could suck up the polluted water and take it to a different planet with one of the filters.

4. HarlequinReaper

HarlequinReaper Starship Captain

liek Corruption and Hallow areas? i would love to see more Biomes, and an idea i like is like, and intergalactic Corruption that you need to clense.
    (I.E. Zerg meets Corruption meets Terraria!!)

5. Alexblex

Well truly it would actually not be spawned naturally unless there is some type of element making it. Mainly this would be caused by sentient interaction.

6. Mr.You

YES! the Zerg just spread around the galaxy eating every living life form and it is your job to stop them!:rofl:

Wouldn't that be stealing :p ?

7. HarlequinReaper

HarlequinReaper Starship Captain

i just wanna see a corruption ball (Zerg Transpot) fall from the sky and spray it in a small area :3

8. Alexblex

Well I was saying that say it was your planet you could have one place that had filtering filter the water there and have special elements in them that in turn would start to clean the land and air around it.

9. Mr.You

But how would the water and environment being clean or "dirty" affect the life form of the planet?

10. Alexblex

Well um say a deer for instance drinks radioactive water think about what would happen. Say that deer was an alien instead. It would kill of the life forms slowly in the area and cause mutations. The plants would die or also mutate and the land could be removed because of acid like sludge. Also if left unaffected the air quality would get worse and the whole planet could become like Venus (Venus is just an example).

Rox likes this.
  11. Mr.You

Very nice

Alexblex likes this.
  12. Sherbniz

Sherbniz Phantasmal Quasar

Oh, of course hazards like these are MUST for space games, in my opionion!

This adds an extra level of suspense to any exploration trip to a forlorn planet if you hear your geiger counter readings becoming more frantic and extreme with every step...

Of course, abandoned worlds are deserted for a REASON. That reason could be pollution, radiation, or other hazards!
    As for robots, I think it would add to the athmosphere if these polluted worlds were sometimes populated by robots that work towards fixing the problem... think Wall-E.
    To find nearly all of them disabled, and only a few still idly working away at this sheer impossible task, that would be a tragic sight to behold. :O

13. Alexblex

Nice idea.

14. xboy777

xboy777 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I think it is an interesting idea but it sounds kind of tedious to me. I would want the planets to be clean but I would hate to have to manually set up stuff just to maintain it. I'm not sure how difficult it would be to make a mutated version of every monster in the game and give it varying features to make them procedurally different but I can imagine it would take a long time to do so. Maybe just add mutants with varying features that typically resemble popular creatures (i.e. mutated green humanoid with human-like features, mutated beasts that stand on all fours, and mutated tentacle monsters, all with varying animal parts) but to take the time to add a mutant version for every monster and give each version procedurally different features would take too long to implement.

I like the idea better as a pregenerated biome or even the entire planet. It could be an abandoned planet that is used for trash dumping and gets occasional visits from other intelligent life forms in the galaxy. There could be mutated monsters like you suggested that come from the planet before it was abandoned. I love Sherbniz's idea of robots attempting to clean them up and some being deactivated or out of commission and you have to repair them which would slowly but eventually clean up the planet and uncover mysterious things hidden under the trash.

15. Alexblex

Well that is what I meant not every creature would be changing only in the area would mutants spawn. The deer was just an example.

16. Liquidified

Liquidified Big Damn Hero

Thats such a cool idea! Example: a planet basically dies because of pollution you can try to save some of it or just leave it or you could have a radioactive meteor that could crash on a planet and slowly consume it! Overall great idea!! keep up the good work! :)

Alexblex likes this.
  17. Alexblex

Thanks and that's just what I was thinking.

Liquidified likes this.
  18. Jimlad 42

Jimlad 42 Supernova

ALERT! ALERT! ANOTHER USE OF DARK MATTER WHEN THEY MEAN ANTI MATTER!

Onward to the rest. This is a nice idea, and I think it would be cool if the pollution was on some dead planets that have signs of life at one point, and you can try to restore the planet.

Idea! How about a quest. "you know, I remember a planet at (coordinates) that used to trade with us, and it was a nice vacation spot too," you find the planet's been polluted to death. but you can find a "Ark" that contains all the DNA of the plants and animals that lived on the world, and a machine that will take the DNA to make the animals/plants. you have to clean the planet and make it habitable for the plants and animals. then talk to the quest giver and tell him the story, he thanks you for your time and resources and then gives you a good reward and you get to keep the machine that can make animals from DNA, and also the DNA of all those animals.

Edit: HOW DID I FORGET THE "CLEAN THE PLANET" BIT!!!

Jrocs likes this.
  19. Alexblex

Interesting.

20. Jimlad 42

Jimlad 42 Supernova

Is that a good "Interesting." or a bad "Interesting."?