1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Please don't make an invedit, community!

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by BlastRed, Nov 8, 2013.

?

Do you want InvEdit for starbound?

1. No, that ruins games. "cheats"

56 vote(s)
    55.4%
  2. Yes, i need to modify something and "promise" not to use it on servers.

45 vote(s)
    44.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlastRed

BlastRed Spaceman Spiff

Are you kidding me?
    Im going to have to repeat what i just said.
    im just using it IN starbound, just to get items that im not supposed to have, and playing around with them. That is so called chating with an unfair advantage, if i went on a server and pwnd some noobs. ON THE OTHER HAND, im using invedit to make my server, and i have no idea what these blocks
    do, but they're pretty, and i made a spawn for my server. THAT'S DIFFERENT.
    Do you understand yet?

TicTacGod likes this.
  2. No, because you offer no understanding, rather you just say the same thing over and over again and somehow expect me to accept what you're saying

If you say a game is bad and I keep telling you over and over again that it's good without any reason why, are you going to suddenly decide that it is good after hearing so for the 50th time?

PolarStar and WoxandWarf like this.
  3. BlastRed

BlastRed Spaceman Spiff

IM trying to do a good thing here.
    preventing someone to ruin the game for themselves.
    if they want to cheat - let them. From my gaming experience, people that cheat tend to not stay with the game for long because after cheating and getting/doing everything, they have little to nothing else left in the game to do. That was also my experience. and it seems i cannot help people who cheat, not cheat. like wtf

4. Regal Kain

Regal Kain Space Kumquat

I'm not trying to be rude, or mean in anyway when I say this, please understand that, and I apologize if I still offend despite that, but you have a very odd way of wording things, and it tends to make it hard to understand what you're saying, if I may be so bold as to re-word your post, and try to get across the same point for the sake of those (And you) who are misinterpretting your words, or just not getting it.

BlastRed- "If I make a single-player character, then cheated-via the use of an inventory editing program- a bunch of high-level gear onto this character, and brought it onto a server that did not have protection from client-side characters, then used this same gear that I have acquired through the editor, to troll, grief and or hamper another player's progress, world, structures or if PvP enabled, outright kill them. It'd be unfair, and immoral to do so. However, if I am in a single-player world, or my friends and I are on a server together, and we have come to the universal decision that we don't really want to farm 30,000 blocks of orange wood, we agree to spawn them in with the use of an inventory editing program, I do not consider this act cheating or immoral, as it only serves to bolster our experience within the game, and we all agreed to do it, as such none of the affected parties have been so negatively. "

Does that sum it up, perhaps a bit better? o_O I get your point, my statments stand. :)

WoxandWarf and BlastRed like this.
  5. BlastRed

BlastRed Spaceman Spiff

I'm just using it IN Starbound, just to get items that I'm not supposed to have. Cheating with invedit.
    That is so called cheating with an unfair advantage, if i went on a server and pwnd some noobs. Meaning
    that if i cheated for some items, and used it against other players, that is an unfair advantage.

Do you understand now?

YES. THAT. THAT IS PERFECT. That's what im trying to tell you all.
    yet, you all misunderstood.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2013
  6. So, you're leading some kind of righteous crusade to save people from having fun cheating? What you're doing is deluding yourself into thinking you are somehow helping people.

Spare me. Please

Also, it's nice to come up with your own words instead of copy-pasting from other people's posts

7. Acez

Acez Star Wrangler

I totally understand what you're saying, I know you believe you're trying to do a good thing.
    However, you also have to bear in mind that people using InvEdit tools to get everything and do everything (or if you want to say - cheat), most likely find it more fun than playing the game legitly. Even if they just stay with the game for a few weeks, thats still a few weeks of fun for them and that unfortunately is what they enjoy.
    Everyone has their own preference on how they want to play a game. Therefore, they're probably thinking that they aren't ruining the game for themselves, but rather making it more fun for themselves.

8. Nolz

Nolz Pangalactic Porcupine

There's no need to complain about people using inventory editors. If the characters are saved on the server you won't be able to use them on multiplayer anyway. Honestly if you don't like using inventory editors or other mods that feel like cheating to you, just don't use them! :D

WoxandWarf and BlastRed like this.
  9. Regal Kain

Regal Kain Space Kumquat

I understand quite well, I assure you. The point many people are making however is even using my alternate wording. You can still avoid the hassles you are trying to avoid, by making your own server, or playing on servers that force server-side character saving. In the event you purposefully seek out a server, in hopes of trading for a rare-item or something akin to this. You do so understanding that the item may have been acquired through ill-legitimate means. This includes, but is not limited to, Inventory Editors, duping bugs (It is Beta afterall) an admin simply spawning the items in (Though why he is trading WHO KNOWS) or perhaps a player won it in an event on a public server from an admin, but no longer wants it, so he's trading it. Otherwise the things you're worried about, shouldn't affect you in the slightest, as you can stop cheaters from joining your server (Or a friend's server if they are hosting.) etc.

If you cannot, or do not want to make a server, I understand that completely, yet you still want to have the multiplayer experience, find a server that will accept you, that also has protections in place to stop cheating, if you want you're more then welcome to join my friends and I when Beta drops and we host, though I do ask that you not join unless you're eithier over 18, or have really thick skin, as we can be extremely inappropriate at times, as well as rude, crude and uncivilized, to each other, this is all seen in good fun, to outsiders we come across as delinquents who should be avoided.

PolarStar likes this.
  10. BlastRed

BlastRed Spaceman Spiff

Lol, im going to use invedit anyways. for my party.
    Look at the signature!
    VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

11. Duex

Duex Cosmic Narwhal

so you are either a huge hypocrite or a professional jimmy rustler

WoxandWarf likes this.
  12. Regal Kain

Regal Kain Space Kumquat

So, in the case of your party, make the server, allow players to join, save all player-data server-side. Then have a few other admins who help you run the server, who can/will give out "infinite" building materials to players etc, but ensure nothing overly crazy is given out. Such as that Level 100 Super Death Sword of Rocket Spraying, this servers both of your purposes.

However the above statment you made, is going to make ALOT of people think you just made this entire post to troll, since you want to use an Invetory Editor yourself (In multiplayer no less), while to you it may be ok because you're just doing X, or Y with it, to others you're cheating by giving yourself building materials etc.

13. Litagano Motscoud

Litagano Motscoud Master Astronaut

Yeah, there's nothing wrong in inventory editors, just as long as they aren't being used to troll. Just like there's really nothing wrong with a gun, as long as it's not being used to kill.

I see your point, though. People will inevitably abuse it. But in my opinion, the good outweighs the bad.

BlastRed and WoxandWarf like this.
  14. BlastRed

BlastRed Spaceman Spiff

Well, it wasn't a troll, just trying to get a message out, so people didn't use it for the DARK side. i don't mind that people use it. And don't forget... i am in a evil clan. i would never speak in blood without it

15. PolarStar

PolarStar Subatomic Cosmonaut

You can't stop people from abusing it in multiplayer. It just won't happen. That said, that is no reason AT ALL to want people to flat out not make them. Server-side characters is really all the protection you'd need from that kind-of thing. Everything else is fair game, and if people want to have fun, they're going to have fun.

WoxandWarf likes this.
  16. IReallyHateYouPeople

IReallyHateYouPeople Pangalactic Porcupine

You bring up a good point, a while ago I was playing on a terraria server with some friends and I was getting annoyed that I kept running out of money while trying to place wires.
    So I gave myself 999 platinum and joined the server, it detected that I had broken the stack limit and gave me a various amount of debuffs and kept returning me to spawn, so maybe starbound will do something similar.

Jonesy and BlastRed like this.
  17. Clockwork

Clockwork Master Astronaut

Just because of this post I'm going to learn C++, and starbound's inventory format and make an inventory editor.
    Not only that, no matter how impossible it is I will find a way to upload said file to any server that requires me to make a server side character.

Your acting like this is some kind of moral problem that we as a community need to get past. When it reality an invedit program is not only inevitable, but a very very good thing. Anyway, The devs will probably put in a minecraft-like creative mode, which I'm sure will be much better than any community invedit.

WoxandWarf, ZangooseSlash and Quantum like this.
  18. Regal Kain

Regal Kain Space Kumquat

See, and it's this kind of malice and discontent, that give people who use such programs for good, a bad name. You're proclaiming you are going to purposefully hack into other people's servers and attempt to ruin their fun, by saying you'll upload it to any server with server side characters, while I doubt you'll ever manage it, it's still just...bad. Joking or not, this is why statments like the one in the OP exsist, someone sees what you say, assumes then that anyone using an InvEdit is just like you and then the hate comes. Be part of the solution, not part of the problem.

Dagorran likes this.
  19. Clockwork

Clockwork Master Astronaut

An inventory editor is not a mod, it's a separate application that lets you edit your save file. Mods like NEI and TMI for minecraft function like inventory editors but are just using commands built into the game to spawn items.

I was joking about uploading characters, and yes I know it's probably not possible, but I see where you're coming from. Mostly what I was trying to get across is that you can't really stop it, someone is going to do it. Asking the forums (a very small segment of the eventual starbound community mind you) is going to do nothing.

Dagorran, WoxandWarf and PolarStar like this.
  20. RynCage

RynCage 3.1415926535897...

I hope to Christ they make an inv edit, AND server side inventories for multiplayer, to circumvent that.

In my singleplayer existance, I don't want to spend hours upon hours killing the same trash mob that I can mow through just to get a collectable so I can brag to all my E-pals about how great I am for grinding and getting lucky.
    I work 12 hours a day. If I have anytime to game and enjoy gaming, I don't want it spent grinding something out to try it out or experience content.

Maybe back when I was 14 years old this was an interesting concept, But now; insane RNG loot drops aren't something I can enjoy anymore unless its simply vanity. then I can ignore it and sleep peacefully.

lyrael_rayne likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.